Cab and Amp (or patch) to work with an acoustic guitar (Fishman Ellipse Blend system)

funny_polymath

Fractal Fanatic
Took the Silk&Steel strings off the Martin 000-C and put phosphor bronzes on in preparation for some gigs. I'll be doing some 'unplugged' gigs, which, as you know, often are plugged in, and I'll also being adding a couple of acoustic numbers to my mostly electric show.

I've been playing through my Princeton lately, not the Axe, because it just sounds better, as I haven't spent any time tweaking the Axe for acoustic. But I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what the best Amp/Cab combo for acoustic would be, or has a patch they'd like to share.

Mind you: this is NOT modeling an electric with a piezo to sound like an acoustic via tone match. While that's ultra-cool, it's not what I'm looking for here.

What I'm looking for is a patch that works well with my Axe II and my CLR Active to give me a really round, sweet, and 'acoustic' sound. I'm also curious about what people use vis a vis compression or limiting to tame the acoustic dynamics a little while still retaining a natural feel.

Thanks all!

I use the standard tube amp, a 1x12 cab, a delay block, a reverb block, a graphic eq block, and a volume block. To be honest I play 98% electric live so I haven't spent a ton of time dialing it in. I've see a few people do some IR creation for acoustic but I haven't tried them. Maybe check axe exchange, search acoustic?

i think all you need is a compressor, the tube pre (amp type) for volume and a little tone shaping and a touch of studio reverb. if you're going to take solos, maybe a null filter block with 3-4db boost. if you're happy with the sound from the aura blend system, then that's probably about it

I don't use an amp block.

My chain is: Wah -> Phaser -> Comp -> Filter1 -> Filter2 -> Cab -> GEQ1 -> MBC -> Delay -> Chorus -> Reverb -> GEQ2

Comp is studio comp for about 3db gain reduction.

Filter 1 and 2 are null and are for gain only. I can't get quite enough gain from 1 filter so I cascade 2. The first is maxed out on level and the second is to adjust the overall preset level.

The Cab is mono in parallel. The IR is either the acoustic body IR, an IR I shot of my Fishman Aura, or an IR I shot of my Takamine via live tone match of a microphone -> preamp and the under saddle pickup. I mix the Cab in to taste.

GEQ1 is for tone shaping.

MBC is to even out the bass / treble response.

Delay is mono tape with ducking.

Chorus is stereo dimension 1.

Reverb is stereo Asylum Hall with ducking.

GEQ2 is for solo boost. It is console 3 band with a 4db mid boost and 3db level boost.

Edit: My current AC rig doesn't use the Fractal. I switched to Fishman Aura -> TC Electronics VoiceLive 3. This sounds great and saves stage space for the small stages I'm on.

Back
Top Bottom