Cab air not working?

prometh

Power User
I'm using a User IR and the air knob seems to do nothing, even at 100%. As a result, I'm currently using a parallel notch filter, but would like to free up that slot... any ideas?

You have to turn up the freq knob too. Try both at max, if you don't hear a definite change, it's probably your amp system that is not very flat at the top end.

The freq knob just changes which frequency the air is applied to, not a min-max adjustment. But, anyway, I've tried that. It makes 0 sound difference.

Even a non-cabbed signal fed through a notch filter at -18dB makes quite a sound difference.

I think you don't understand what the air parameter does. It mixes dry signal with your "wet" cab signal. Freq is just the cutoff frequency and you have to turn it up quite a lot to hear anything. I just suggested turning it up to the max as it will be more audible there. A notch filter is a different thing.

This is what Cliff said:

"Air is nothing more than low-pass filtered direct signal mixed with the processed signal. Sometimes adding some Air can help remove the boxiness. [...] You typically need to set the Air Freq above 3 kHz before the effect is noticeable. I like it around 3500 or so. It adds a little sizzle to high-gain tones and removes that boxy sound. "

"Dry" as in, whatever signal is present before the cab, correct? If so, that's what I'm currently doing with a "non-cabbed signal fed through a notch filter" in the mix. I guess the notch could be supplemented with a low-pass.

That's not the point though.. any type of filter (even NULL) works fine, but the air knob does not add anything like the filter does.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom