Cab advice please....

Matt Aldridge

Hi. I'm new to this forum, also new to FRFR.

I'm a long time guitarist in a loud rock cover band, and after my fair share of Orange, Marshall, etc valve amps, I now use a Tech21 Fly Rig into the fx return of a Matrix VB800 head (so bypassing the preamp), and into a Matrix NL212 cab. I love the lightweight and size of the NL212 (120W), but I know I'm using it close to its maximum volume at my gigs (I have smelt burning before!), and I know the VB800 poweramp is capable of blowing the cab speakers. I'm looking for a lightweight 2x12 300+W back line speaker cab. I know FRFR isn't usually used as a back line cab, but they seem to have the power and some lighter weight options. I don't know anything about FRFR....I just searched and found potentially higher power lightweight cabs than the more traditional speaker cab I currently struggle with.

Any advice much appreciated!!!

I already use a Q12 FRFR as backline and my next purchase is quite likely to be the Matrix FR212 (4ohm 500W) but I don't know if you have considered these already?

Thanks for your reply. I haven't considered anything FRFR yet, I don't really know how FRFR differs from a traditional cab (I know what FRFR stands for, but that's as far as my knowledge goes!!).

What might be any disadvantages of going FRFR compared to traditional cab? Please assume I know absolutely nothing about FRFR!

There is quite a bit of info on the forum about the experience of moving to FRFR from a traditional cab... Some people make the switch and never look back, others just can't get their head or ears around it because they are so used to the 'cab in the room' experience.

You do get the added benefit of neutral sound which isn't coloured by a guitar cab voicing so cab selection on the Axe FX becomes more powerful.

For me, I know that whatever I hear on stage will be representative of FOH. Of course a lot depends on who is on the mixing desk but for me it gets takes mic positioning out of the equation by using Out1 on the Axe FX direct to the desk. It also means I can adjust my backline volume or EQ without impacting FOH since these are on Out2 to my Poweramp.

Hi. I'm new to this forum, also new to FRFR.

I'm a long time guitarist in a loud rock cover band, and after my fair share of Orange, Marshall, etc valve amps, I now use a Tech21 Fly Rig into the fx return of a Matrix VB800 head (so bypassing the preamp), and into a Matrix NL212 cab. I love the lightweight and size of the NL212 (120W), but I know I'm using it close to its maximum volume at my gigs (I have smelt burning before!), and I know the VB800 poweramp is capable of blowing the cab speakers. I'm looking for a lightweight 2x12 300+W back line speaker cab. I know FRFR isn't usually used as a back line cab, but they seem to have the power and some lighter weight options. I don't know anything about FRFR....I just searched and found potentially higher power lightweight cabs than the more traditional speaker cab I currently struggle with.

Any advice much appreciated!!!

Well... If you're not using an Axe Fx or something else that includes modeling a mic'd speaker, you don't want FRFR.

A real guitar speaker and microphone color (aka, filter or EQ) what comes out of the amp (a lot!).

The goal of an FRFR rig is to be as flat at possible EQ-wise.

The simple way to think of it is that a PA "main" speaker is FRFR. So is a studio reference monitor.

Plugging your FlyRig into that won't sound very realistic.

On the other had, plugging an Axe Fx into one can sound glorious :)

I have the same amp and cab as you. If you are cranking it and still not loud enough....wow....that set up shakes the rafters. I would suggest adding FOH direct and let the sound board help you out. If your band is playing so loud you can’t hear yourself, maybe go wireless in ear monitor. You can mic the NL 212.

Back
Top Bottom