C2's FX III Simpleton Thread. No Stupid Questions you say?...here...hold my beer!

C2@TJS

Any tips for starting at ground zero? I'm expecting to unbox the III and EV-1 tomorrow. My preliminary plan is to use an existing small amp stand that will position the unit at an ergonomic angle and height for both standing and sitting, at least until the FC can make its magical appearance. Output L/R XLR's straight into two channels of a PreSonus Studio Live 24 Rack Mixer. Connect (and I assume calibrate) the EV-1 Expression Pedal. Connect a laptop with Axe Edit III via USB and start the journey.
My initial reference audio will be full range JBL Side Fills or FRFR Studio Monitors.
Since the SideFills are EQ'd for vocals, will this be an issue? I'm not looking to rule the world, but I do want to experience some tonal bliss. I suppose I could flatten the EQ on the Side Fills temporarily, but I don't want to paint myself in a corner, as I'll have to return the Side Fill EQ back for rehearsal/shows.
Suggestions are most certainly welcome and appreciated.
C2

Last edited:
So you went with the blue eiy ;)
Welcome to the AXE-FX world

A general recommendation regarding studio monitors is spend as much as your wallet (wife?) allows. If you are gigging and want to have your own monitoring system Atomic CLR could serve both purposes. Or Perhaps something from Xitones

If only in studio I see Adam Audio getting lots of love here.

Type "axe-fx frfr" in google and down the rabbit hole you go ;)

Welcome C2!
Once you come out of the first few days (omg this is amazing... I can’t eat drink or leave the guitar etc), I’d recommend grabbing Austin Buddies preset pack, and any of Mokes presets. These will give you a solid base to select amp & cab selections that really mimick real world conditions.
For the monitors, spend on the best you hear (and spend you will!). The good thing about studio monitors is that you’ll rarely want to change them once you have the right ones, unlike all our digital stuff which seems to turn over every 4 years.
Regarding the monitors eq’d for vocals - flatten them out while you are creating your presets and getting sounds etc, otherwise they will always be tainted.
Anyway - hope you have a blast and remember there’s a bunch of really helpful smarties on this forum.
Thanks
Pauly

first stop fractal bot, get the latest firmware, then axe edit
no need to position the axe on a stand; you can control (almost) everything from axe edit

instead of going though some factory presets, what worked for me was to jump right in and build some presets, starting simple, taking a lot of care when selecting the IR (EXTREMELY crucial in my opinion, even more than the amp model), then build from there and add effects

set some undisturbed time aside, have a blast!!

Write your live patches at GIG LEVEL, I just got mine too just put it in its own rack for now. I have an axefx2 I use for gigs,a lot of patchwriting, transferring patches and the FC before I can use it live

I appreciate the responses, as I wait in an a state of both anticipation and apprehension. I'm really old school, and taking this leap to hopefully achieve the great tones I could only wish for previously. Specifically hope to start with some of BFG's more distinctive tones.

Last edited:
If you are « old school » - set up your signal chains just like you do on real gear because you already know that - and only adjust settings that are on the real gear. You will be surprised at how close this comes if you have a good monitoring system. Then you can go down the rabbit hole later :cool:

If you are « old school » - - and only adjust settings that are on the real gear.
Maybe I'm older school than you think, because you lost me here. If I'm using the Axe through my PA or my FRFR studio monitors, what "real gear" do I have left to adjust the settings of?

Maybe I'm older school than you think, because you lost me here. If I'm using the Axe through my PA or my FRFR studio monitors, what "real gear" do I have left to adjust the settings of?
Good question. I mean the blocks in the Axe FX parce amps, effects pedals - drive, chorus, reverb, etc. Your virtual amp and effects chain in the AXE....

Ahhhh.... so the real gear is really not real gear really.
Yes, I guess i meant to say « only adjust settings on the virtual gear that you find on your real world counterparts - amp, pedals, etc. ». As there are many settings in the Axe gear that you won’t be able to change on real world gear - the rabbit hole.

Yes, I guess i meant to say « only adjust settings on the virtual gear that you find on your real world counterparts - amp, pedals, etc. ». As there are many settings in the Axe gear that you won’t be able to change on real world gear - the rabbit hole.
I'm old school when it comes to yankin' chains too. I appreciate your making of a valid point, and I apologize for my old school smart ass-ery.

Any tips for starting at ground zero? I'm expecting to unbox the III and EV-1 tomorrow. My preliminary plan is to use an existing small amp stand that will position the unit at an ergonomic angle and height for both standing and sitting, at least until the FC can make its magical appearance. Output L/R XLR's straight into two channels of a PreSonus Studio Live 24 Rack Mixer. Connect (and I assume calibrate) the EV-1 Expression Pedal. Connect a laptop with Axe Edit III via USB and start the journey.
My initial reference audio will be full range JBL Side Fills or FRFR Studio Monitors.
Since the SideFills are EQ'd for vocals, will this be an issue? I'm not looking to rule the world, but I do want to experience some tonal bliss. I suppose I could flatten the EQ on the Side Fills temporarily, but I don't want to paint myself in a corner, as I'll have to return the Side Fill EQ back for rehearsal/shows.
Suggestions are most certainly welcome and appreciated.
C2
Go through some of the presets and find the amps and cabs that you gravitate to. Then create a preset from scratch using just the amp and cab blocks and maybe an overdrive pedal. Play around with this preset for a few days, adjusting it until you find what you really like. At this point you can start adding effects like reverb, delay, modulation, etc. In other words, keep it simple.

The fx are all “real” as any other. Compressors, phasers, chorus, boosts/drives, delays, reverbs, etc. - just better than most, in stereo, without batteries and 1/4” wire/plugs all over the place.

Good luck
And enjoy.

Club jacket on its way ...

The fx are all “real” as any other. Compressors, phasers, chorus, boosts/drives, delays, reverbs, etc. - just better than most, in stereo, without batteries and 1/4” wire/plugs all over the place.

Good luck
And enjoy.

Club jacket on its way ...
So... how do know if a tube is going out in this thing?

So... how do know if a tube is going out in this thing?

Just like a real amp! Take a wooden stick or a pencil and start tapping the top of the case. If you hear the sound cutting in and out or a crackling sound...you know you have a micro-phonic tube! A puff of smoke is a dead give away too! :D

Back
Top Bottom