C minor 11 b5 chord

Great point! Zep is easier. :)

Actually, great point about the lesson your band director gave you. So much depends on the other instruments (what they
are playing) along with what chords are both before and after the specific chord in question.

Sometimes I think guitar players are always playing in a power trio in their heads. ;)

I remember grabbing this book because it was mentioned in a guitar magazine, and not knowing
what the f**k to make of it. I think I ordered it out of the back of one of those magazines.

900597000000000-00-500x500.jpg
I think I got that book the same day the band director gave me my "private" lesson! Still have it.

ok thought so. didn’t know that was a m11b5…. a chord i’ve never played before!

Oddly enough the chord in the previous measure is a regular old G chord and I’m thinking there is a mistake because it sounds terrible when I play it there.

That bar is just Bm7 with bass playing B, E on the original. (Your chart is apparently a half step higher.)

Are you sure you're looking at the right spot?

There's a Bm7b5 (or more of a G9/B with the vocal G note) later, with a slide guitar part playing e-f-e. That's the only instrument playing any E notes there. It would probably sound better to just play (I'll stay in original key so transpose these up 1/2 step for your chart) Bm7b5 if something else is playing the e-f-e line.

1:03 & 1:37:

Oddly enough the chord in the previous measure is a regular old G chord and I’m thinking there is a mistake because it sounds terrible when I play it there.
in the movie recording, that chord is a F to Fmaj7, so i guess your chart is a step up. the next chord in the recording has a D major triad in it (i don’t have a guitar on me so i can’t get the actual chord i hear).

but if you’re a step up… how on earth is that a Cm something haha.

As an aside I bought an FM3 to use for the show. I don’t need a ton of different tones for this show and the Axe III/FC6 seemed overkill. FM3 into my lightweight XiTone works perfectly.

That bar is just Bm7 with bass playing B, F# on the original. (Your chart is apparently a half step higher.)

Are you sure you're looking at the right spot?

There's a Bm7b5 (or more of a G9/B with the vocal G note) later, with a slide guitar part playing e-f-e. That's the only instrument playing any E notes there. It would probably sound better to just play (I'll stay in original key so transpose these up 1/2 step for your chart) Bm7b5 if something else is playing the e-f-e line.

1:03 & 1:37:

this is why i don’t trust charts ;)

Cm11b5 = Ab13(add9) without the root - the Ab. If you have a 13th voicing with both 13 and 9. drop the root and you will have the m11b5 built on the third of that chord.

Last edited:
in the movie recording, that chord is a F to Fmaj7, so i guess your chart is a step up. the next chord in the recording has a D major triad in it (i don’t have a guitar on me so i can’t get the actual chord i hear).

but if you’re a step up… how on earth is that a Cm something haha.

See attached. Measure 52 is the chord. Measure 62 had a Bb minor 11 b5

Attachments

• 8A2CF9CD-B031-4A8F-AD96-0467E76C6499.jpeg
    8A2CF9CD-B031-4A8F-AD96-0467E76C6499.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 54
One thing, I've never seen a #9/b9 chord, but I have seen Maj9. F(#9/b9) is perhaps really an F#Maj9? I know the notes aren't all the same, thus the ?. but it gets the F, and the b9 & #9. I agree with Chris. The notations just don't seem..., uh, conventional...?

Plus I tried different voicings of an F(#9/b9) and they all sound terrible. Like, if you add in the 5th or 3rd..., along with those 9th's.

One thing, I've never seen a #9/b9 chord, but I have seen Maj9. F(#9/b9) is perhaps really an F#Maj9? I know the notes aren't all the same, thus the ?. but it gets the F, and the b9 & #9. I agree with Chris. The notations just don't seem..., uh, conventional...?
Typically I'd pick either the b9 or the #9 and not try to play them both. #9 is basically a minor 3rd, so it could be a Fmb9, but when I see that sort of option the keyboardist is probably laying their entire forearm on the keyboard.

Plus I tried different voicings of an F(#9/b9) and they all sound terrible. Like, if you add in the 5th or 3rd..., along with those 9th's.
Well... The #9 is the equivalent note enharmonically as the b3... Since a major chord already has a natural 3 it can't also have a b3.

Like the infamous Hendrix chord (dom7#9).

There is accompaniment software they gave me so I can practice along with other parts. I’ve noticed for that F #9/b9 chord if I play a good old Fm7 it sounds just fine.

There is accompaniment software they gave me so I can practice along with other parts. I’ve noticed for that F #9/b9 chord if I play a good old Fm7 it sounds just fine.
The actual chord there (transposed to your chart key, which is evidently a whole step lower) is Fm7. A lot of the chord symbols in that section are pretty far off from the original.

Back
Top Bottom