Bug? Bypass state ignored when block is disabled due to CPU load

marshall2553

Power User
I have a preset with reverb in a parallel path, mix 100%, bypass set to Mute In. When I bypass the reverb block there is no change in my overall volume. When the reverb block is disabled due to CPU overload my volume jumps like it would if bypass were set to Thru.

this somewhat makes sense - it's probably being treated as a Shunt, that's why you're getting the THRU functionality.

are you expecting the Reverb to be bypassed though? the solution would be to reduce CPU so Reverb isn't disabled. interesting find.

this somewhat makes sense - it's probably being treated as a Shunt, that's why you're getting the THRU functionality.

are you expecting the Reverb to be bypassed though? the solution would be to reduce CPU so Reverb isn't disabled. interesting find.
Well, no I wouldn't create a preset expecting the reverb block to be disabled. It's just something I noticed while editing tonight. I was playing while connected to AX8 Edit and noticed my volume jumping intermittently. I also thought it was odd that reverb was randomly being disabled and enabled without me making any changes.

I'd imagine this could happen while performing if your CPU usage is right at the limit and would be a bit of a shock.

I'm guessing you're right and the disabled block is effectively being replaced with a shunt so I'm not sure there's an easy fix for this.

I have run into the same thing with a preset that is living on the edge at 89%. Occasionally, the AX8 will decide to shut down the reverb and the volume increases dramatically since it's treated as a shunt. If there is a way to fix this, it should be implemented. Would not want to have a sudden major volume increase at a gig. As it is, I make sure that none of my presets go above 87% and have not run into any problems with it shutting off the reverb block.

The difference in CPU utilization between audio and no audio running through a preset can be as much as 2% - 3%. So, if you run a preset (with not audio) at 87% - 88%, you run the distinct possibility of the AX8 shutting off the most CPU intensive block in the preset while you're playing.

Yeah - I actually asked the same question a little while ago

While my gigging presets should be safe from CPU overload, I have thought about always running the reverb inline, as a sudden loss of reverb will be much less noticeable than a loss of reverb AND a 6 dB level boost. I do prefer to run it parallel though.

It would be nice, if one could choose the disabling to 'no connection' rather than shunt - that would mute the signal in my parallel line, which would be much better than the current boost.

Back
Top Bottom