Bypass block on channel change?

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
is there a way to bypass a block when I change its channel - without using Control switches (as Im out of those).

I basically want my drive block to turn off when I change its channel (channel is tied to amps channel so when I change amps, the associated drive model changes as well).

Cant use them. All my blocks with the EXCEPTION of this need to keep the same state they are in at switch. Scenes doesnt do that.

I appreciate the concept - but scenes ALWAYS gets pointed to as an answer - but in reality, for how I use things, there no use as they stand.

Reactions: JTI
You could set up a channel with the Mix at zero.
Not sure how that would work.

So - currently I use 4 CSs to change channels. I have my amp, cab, drive and filter blocks all switching with one CS. I also use the remaining 2 CSs - one to change global output volumes on multiple output blocks, and the final one toggles the drive and filter blocks with a single button (so I can volume match the effect of drive on and off after the amp block). i will also say i use all 4 channel on every present.

This all works fine. What I need to add, is when I switch channels - the drive and filter blocks switch to bypass at the same time WITHOUT affecting their other switching. Getting a little more complex now. I almost need a logic gate in the CS options lol. And./Or/Nand/Nor.

Let me just clarify - I find scenes too restrictive. Its everything changes or nothing changes - kind of.

With AFFX2/MFX I could do any switching I wanted from the MFC - Being a true Midi controller. There were also only 2 channel - x/y. So in this case, I used presents as amp changers (if you will). So one amp - 2 channels (using x/y) and one cab (when I used them). being presets all blocks reset as I needed them on preset change.

With aFX3/FC - It m ore restrictive in many ways - though CSs and a midi loop cable is working for now (uses a lot of the CSs though). BUT with 4 channels available -Ive changed how I approach things (I could still use the old way - and may yet have to go back to that). Im now building a 4 channel "amp rig" per preset. Each will have 4 channels of amps - with its dedicated cab and drive block. Ill build (for now) 1 preset per guitar so tonally they sound how I want each to sound.

Now - the problem with scenes is I need some blocks to CHANGE on a scene change and others to ignore it - be outside of the scene if you will. Ive seen discussion on this very subject. If that happens - things get much easier. I use 4 scenes to change my channel set up. All 4 blocks change channels on scene change - and the state of the drive and filter can be set to off regardless as well. I could then assign all other FX blocks to be outside the scene - so when I switch channels they keep the same state they had before the change. This is the ideal from what I can see - I save 4 CS's for other duties and can switch everything as I would like. it would be nice if the "scene exception" could be set per scene rather than per preset - as I could then use 4 scenes for channel changing - and other if I needed to change everything for something specific. Just gives more flexibility....but one thing at a time...

I think I get what OP's going for. I know there's a feature request for basically "opting-out" a block from scene changes, but then this lost me:

it would be nice if the "scene exception" could be set per scene rather than per preset

This just doesn't make any sense. Either a block is affected by scenes or not, you can't have it be both ways.

Is this actually about creating a way for gapless scene changes? Is that what I'm missing here?

Like: keep the amp block on channel A on scene change so there's no gap, rather than how it is now, which basically has the block change from channel A to channel A on a scene change?

I'm confused. Every scene change I have includes at least a few things that don't change their state.
But you have to PROGRAM them that way.

What I mean is - say Im in scene 1. I turn on my delay. when I go to scene 2 I want my delay on. IF however Im in scene 1 and DONT turn my delay on - when I go to scene 2 I dont want my delay on there.

So - depending what I've manually switched that delay COULD be needed on OR off in scene 2. you cant do that.

If this is enabled - then scenes would achieve what I want. Amp, Drive, cabs are set up with correct channels per scene, and in the state I want them on scene change (ir drive off regardless of it it was on or off in the previous scene) BUT my FX stay in whatever state I have them in when I change.

I guess another way to think of it (bar the drive - but to get the point over). in a traditional set up, you have a pedal board with FX. you switch them on and off in real time. you then have an amp which you can channel change independently of the FX state. now add a second amp and cab - and an amp switcher. Now you can select either amp with its associated cab, and which ever channel of that amp you need independently of the FX states. Thats what Im trying to achieve. So amp Ch1 is Amp 1 clean into its 2x12 (in my twin amp scenario) Ch 2 is Amp 1 drive into its 2x12 Ch 3 is amp 2 clean into its 4x12, and Ch 4 is amp 2 drive into its 4x12.

Last edited:
I think I get what OP's going for. I know there's a feature request for basically "opting-out" a block from scene changes, but then this lost me:

This just doesn't make any sense. Either a block is affected by scenes or not, you can't have it be both ways.
What I meant by that is you can change that preference in a preset.

So - in preset 1, the drive and delay are both included in scene changes - opting in. Change scene - and the states of both reflect that programmed in teh scene.

However, in Preset 2 - I want to opt out for the delay. So the drive goes to whatever the next scene is programmed with, but the delay doesnt change.

So basically, your saving your scene opt in settings differently per preset as opposed to globally.

Yeah, that makes sense. But you said:

which threw me. all good though, thanks for clarifying!
OK - thats a typo lol.

I meant set per preset rather than globally. typing as I was thinking, sometimes it comes out wrong. should really check my posts before actually posting them.....

Consider auto-engage expression pedals. All my modulation, delays, and filters (wah, etc) and wild cards run from 4 FAS EV1s.

... that, and scenes. 👍

I have one - its my wah. Dont have space for any more.

As explained - Scenes dont work for me due to needing some FX to keep whatever state they are in if IO switch scenes.

Back
Top Bottom