Bypass 2 effects with one switch

Rafa Diaz

Experienced
I guess this can be easily done via scene but if we want to avoid the scene use and we just want to bypass or enable an overdrive and a boost or a delay for some solos, can we assign somehow the on/off function to several effects simultaneously to the same switch without the need of using scenes?
Cheers

I was just about to ask a similar question to this, so I'll ask here instead of make a new thread. Is it possible to switch 2 amp channels with 1 foot switch using control switches as well? Right now, I have 2 amps setup, one for clean and one for dirty, and I use a multiplexer to switch between the two seamlessly. I much prefer having both amps running dirty at once, and then swap to clean, so I can mix 2 different amp sounds to achieve what I want.

I'm working on trying to get Metallica's live tone currently, and his guitar tech said they use a combination of the Mark II C++ and a Diezel. Is this possible to do with control switches so I still have instantaneous changes and don't have to rely on the scene switcher, since it has a delay in it?

Edit: To be clear, I'd like both amps to start on channel A for cleans, press one foot switch, and now both amps are on channel B without having to change scenes.

I was just about to ask a similar question to this, so I'll ask here instead of make a new thread. Is it possible to switch 2 amp channels with 1 foot switch using control switches as well? Right now, I have 2 amps setup, one for clean and one for dirty, and I use a multiplexer to switch between the two seamlessly. I much prefer having both amps running dirty at once, and then swap to clean, so I can mix 2 different amp sounds to achieve what I want.

I'm working on trying to get Metallica's live tone currently, and his guitar tech said they use a combination of the Mark II C++ and a Diezel. Is this possible to do with control switches so I still have instantaneous changes and don't have to rely on the scene switcher, since it has a delay in it?

Edit: To be clear, I'd like both amps to start on channel A for cleans, press one foot switch, and now both amps are on channel B without having to change scenes.
There is no delay in scene switching. But there can be a brief dropout when changing channels on an amp block.

Hmm, I thought I heard or read somewhere that there was a delay in scene switching but not channel switching. I guess this was incorrect? Does this then mean there's no way to do completely seamless, instantaneous, switching between amp models and I can't run 2 amps at once in the setup that I described? Therefor I need to stick to 1 amp for dirty, 1 amp for clean, and then use the multiplexer?

Hmm, I thought I heard or read somewhere that there was a delay in scene switching but not channel switching. I guess this was incorrect? Does this then mean there's no way to do completely seamless, instantaneous, switching between amp models and I can't run 2 amps at once in the setup that I described? Therefor I need to stick to 1 amp for dirty, 1 amp for clean, and then use the multiplexer?
There's nothing about scene switching that causes a dropout. Whether the odds a dropout depends on what you have changing when you change scenes. Changing amp channels can cause a dropout. For most of us, that dropout is so brief that it doesn't make any difference. You owe our to yourself to try it and see whether it makes a difference to you.

This is actually something I've had to deal with in 2 live performances unfortunately. I play in a Metallica tribute band and Metallica has several songs such as Harvester of Sorrow and One that does instant changes from clean to dirty.

This is actually something I've had to deal with in 2 live performances unfortunately. I play in a Metallica tribute band and Metallica has several songs such as Harvester of Sorrow and One that does instant changes from clean to dirty.
I just had a listen to Harvester of Sorrow. Couldn’t identIfy the spot that needs instant switching.

The only time I can think of when you’d hear the gap is when you have to do it while the note is ringing out, and even then, you’d have to be listening for it. Real flesh-and-blood tube amps have a longer gap when you change channels than the Axe III does.

Last edited:
Scenes are the bees knees. Turn 15 different FX on or off change amps cabinets whatever by clicking one button. If you configure spillover correctly for FX like reverb or delay can carry over a nice distorted lead tone into the switching of the next scene like a clean ambient tone. It saddens me people are so damn reluctant to learn to use scene switching. All eggs in one basket presets with a bunch of switches turning FX on and off like its some antique antiquated monster pedal board. Or a preset for clean and then one for dirty and so on. Just a heads up we are four months away from the year 2020. It may also be time to give up the flip phone!

Ok sorry rant over carry on. :tonguewink:

I just had a listen to Harvester of Sorrow. Couldn’t identIfy you the spot that needs instant switching.

The only time I can think of when you’d hear the gap is when you have to do it while the note is ringing out, and even then, you’d have to be listening for it. Real flesh-and-blood tube amps have a longer gap when you change channels than the Axe III does.

It's in the very beginning of Harvester. It starts with a heavy dirty sound, immediately flips into a short clean section, then immediately back into the dirty section. When I played it live 2, I have to switch between the sounds fast enough I could hear the gap and was worried maybe the crowd could hear it.

You're definitely right about the tube amps flipping taking longer. This is actually why Metallica's old touring rigs had 2 different amps (really about 4 or 5, not counting backups for failures), and they used the Voodoo Labs GCX switcher as the GCX switcher removed any gaps between the amps. It basically worked like the Mulitplexer for the Axe.

@Tom Morris Don't get me wrong, I definitely see the benefits of the Scenes lol. I may be in a unique position here. I don't need a whole lot of effects as ALL I play is Metallica, and I only play the rhythm guitar and sing. I keep most of my effects to a minimum as Hetfield does, and I try to recreate his sound to the best of my abilities. Part of that is he uses 2 dirty amps to get his dirty sound, and 2 clean amps for the clean sound. And he does that using 2 different Axe FX 2 XL+ and a GCX switch for instant switching. I was hoping to recreate that with just 1 Axe FX 3, but I may be limited to just 1 amp model per tone and using a multiplexer. Unfortunately I don't have the budget Metallica does to get a 2nd Axe FX 3 lmao

It's in the very beginning of Harvester. It starts with a heavy dirty sound, immediately flips into a short clean section, then immediately back into the dirty section. When I played it live 2, I have to switch between the sounds fast enough I could hear the gap and was worried maybe the crowd could hear it.

You're definitely right about the tube amps flipping taking longer. This is actually why Metallica's old touring rigs had 2 different amps (really about 4 or 5, not counting backups for failures), and they used the Voodoo Labs GCX switcher as the GCX switcher removed any gaps between the amps. It basically worked like the Mulitplexer for the Axe.
In that part of the song, the heavy dirty chord rings out while the clean riff starts playing. Even zero gap wouldn't get you that. You’ll need someone else playing alongside you.

In that part of the song, the heavy dirty chord rings out while the clean riff starts playing. Even zero gap wouldn't get you that. You’ll need someone else playing alongside you.

There is in fact. I have a lead guitarist that runs that with me. But Hetfield still plays that part in its entirety and then immediately switches to clean without a gap due to his setup and his guitar tech running the channel switching.

There is in fact. I have a lead guitarist that runs that with me. But Hetfield still plays that part in its entirety and then immediately switches to clean without a gap due to his setup and his guitar tech running the channel switching.
So, played live, he doesn’t maintain the ringing chord, then?

Hetfield does not maintain the ringing chord. He plays the dirty section straight into the clean. Hammet holds the chord. When playing in a live situation, that particular section, and then the clean to dirty shortly after, is a fast enough change that there's a clearly audible gap when I change scenes with a single Axe. I could "fake" it by dropping out a little early for the scene switch, but I'd rather play it properly and find workarounds to the gap.

Hetfield does not maintain the ringing chord. He plays the dirty section straight into the clean. Hammet holds the chord. When playing in a live situation, that particular section, and then the clean to dirty shortly after, is a fast enough change that there's a clearly audible gap when I change scenes with a single Axe. I could "fake" it by dropping out a little early for the scene switch, but I'd rather play it properly and find workarounds to the gap.
Understood.

If you want to confine the change to a single amp, you have lots of options: Scene Controllers on Input Drive, Input Trim, or Boost, the Boost switch by itself, A Filter or Drive block in front of the amp...

I guess this can be easily done via scene but if we want to avoid the scene use and we just want to bypass or enable an overdrive and a boost or a delay for some solos, can we assign somehow the on/off function to several effects simultaneously to the same switch without the need of using scenes?
Cheers
I have my volume pedal set up to not only control volume but the delay mix. For solos. Im sure you can do it with multiple FX using the controllers.

If you want instant, gapless switching - the best way (in my opinion) - is to have two amp blocks, one clean one dirty - either going into one or two cab blocks, that's up to you.

And you switch between them using a multiplexor.

Both amps are set correctly, on the right channels the whole time - the only thing you do when you switch scenes is to change channel on the multiplexor, thereby selecting whichever amp or amp/cab combo you want for further processing (adding delays etc).

I defy anyone to complain about the speed of that!

Hi again, I am trying to do it but cannot find it.
I want to activate with one press simultaneously Phaser C and Filter C, when I go to axe edit I can only activate one effect or bank of that effect at the same time not both.
Can anyone please let me know how to do it?
Thanks.
Rafa

Control Switch.

Set the bypass on both effects to be controlled by whatever control switch you want to use (in Axe-Edit click on the bypass button on the block, press 'M' and in the drop down top left select control switch).

So for example if I'm using Control Switch 2 - set both to Control Switch 2

Then set the FC switch of your choice to toggle Control Switch 2, give it a label and you're good to go

PM me if you get stuck

Pete

Back
Top Bottom