Buzz noise when connecting axe III to powerstage amp

Vecordia

Ok. I recently got a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 to run my Axe Fx III through a 1x12 mesa cab for home practice.

Thing is that I am getting an annoying buzz noise, similar to that when the guitar cable is disconnected from the guitar end.

I go from the output 2L (XLR to TRS cable) into the Powerstage’s input. Then from the Powerstage’out to the cab (8 Ohm).

I have tried the following troubleshooting
  • Change the output 2 level between +4 dB and -10 dB.
  • Change all cables (line, power and amp cable)
  • use different wall power outlets (although i had both Powerstage and Axe Fx it connected to the same furman conditioner)
  • Lift ground switch at output 2
none of these made a difference

However, if i connect the guitar straight into the seymour duncan, (no axe fx) then the noise disappears.

Anyone would know what the problem could be?

I wonder it it could be a problem with the axe

Thanks guys!

If the Powerstage should have a mono respectively an unbalanced input and you do not use a XLR-to-TS but a XLR-to-TRS cable, one line coming from the XLR output will not be connected on the Powerstage's side. I could image that this causes the buzz. So I would either try an XLR-to-TS cable or - if you could use output 1 of the Axe-Fx - a TS-to-TS-cable.

Thanks for the tip! It makes sense. I am currently using output 1 in stereo to my audio interface, so I will just change this to output 2 so I can use the TS out of output 1.

should i run it at 4 or -10 db?

Indeed, Seymour Duncan does not provide a detailed manual, from what i am seeing online it seems that it is indeed unbalanced.

would a XLR to TS work, or better use other output (3 or 4) with TS to TS (or even Humbuster) cable?

I think I would set the Axe-Fx to +4dBu turn the output level knob fully to zero and then carefully turn it up as long as the input of the PS gets not overdriven.

Thanks for the tip! It makes sense. I am currently using output 1 in stereo to my audio interface, so I will just change this to output 2 so I can use the TS out of output 1.

should i run it at 4 or -10 db?
Why not use output 3?

I asked Seymour Duncan and they confirm that
a) Indeed the input is unbalanced
b) i should set the axeat -10db

One question i was wondering about is:

Is the humbuster cable wired the same way as a XLR to TS cable?
in other words, if i use the XLR-TS from the output2 into the unbalanced input of the PS, would this behave same way as connecting, for instance, the output 3 to the SP input with a humbuster cable?

I asked Seymour Duncan and they confirm that
a) Indeed the input is unbalanced
b) i should set the axeat -10db

One question i was wondering about is:

Is the humbuster cable wired the same way as a XLR to TS cable?
in other words, if i use the XLR-TS from the output2 into the unbalanced input of the PS, would this behave same way as connecting, for instance, the output 3 to the SP input with a humbuster cable?
Nope, XLR outs are not humbuster.

PS: to further expand, it will work too but it will be just an unbalanced connection, no "hum-busting"

Today I had time to try if using a guitar cable instead a XLR To TRS would work. Somehow it did not. Same noise as before.

I am now using the Left jack from Output 1.

I was pretty convinced that this would work for sure. It made all sense that it was the wrong cable that was causing the noise. Just hoping that the humbuster cable I am receiving on Monday will fix it.

btw, to try this, I only had at hand a guitar cable which has 1 Neutrik silent jack in one end. could this be the cause of the problem? I would not think so, but who knows...

For those of you who could be experiencing a similar issue, just wanted to let you guys know that the humbuster cable, seems to have solved the problem. I am still puzzled as to what could be the problem with a normal guitar cable, but well, at least it works now.

Thanks guys for your help!

Reactions: ESW
Back
Top Bottom