Buying new PC - specs/suggestions

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
I'm planning to get a new desktop workstation soon and looking for some pointers. I'm currently using a surface pro 4 i5 and while it's cool for what it is I need quite a bit more power. I'll keep the surface pro for axe edit, out of town work and the wife.

I'll be running a lot of autocad and also 3D drafting programs like chief architect and revit. I also want to be able to run music apps like FL Studio, Reaper, superior drummer, output, etc. without having to make big compromises.

Anyway just looking to educate myself so please share if you have any thoughts.

I always buy reconditioned computers with AMD processors. They last me an average of 10 years before I need to replace them.

I assume you don't play any video games. Use logicalincrements.com and the list below:

(CPU) AMD Ryzen R5 1600X
(Mainboard) pick a Z370 chipset that suits your needs (e.g. USB 3.1 ports etc.)
(GPU) GT 1030 for a single screen, non-gaming setup
(PSU) pick a high quality PSU with around 500 W, you won't need more (e.g. be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W 80 Gold Plus)
(RAM) at least 16 GB or more if you use a lot of VST instruments
(SSD) Samsung 960 EVO series 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2; everything that needs to load up quickly goes on the SSD
(HDD) pick any quality 3 to 4 TB hard disk that suits your needs in terms of speed and noise (rpm).

I don't agree with the list of PSUs on logicalincrements.com, as they are overpowered. My gaming PC (i7-4770K @ 4.2 GHz, GTX 1070) draws below 400 W under max load.

This should get you below 2000$. The list is just to point you into the right directions. Of course, there are other viable options.

I don't agree with the list of PSUs on logicalincrements.com, as they are overpowered. My gaming PC (i7-4770K @ 4.2 GHz, GTX 1070) draws below 400 W under max load.
That's one of the weirdest parts to quibble about because over spec'ing it is literally $20-$30 more.

That's one of the weirdest parts to quibble about because over spec'ing it is literally $20-$30 more.
You're right, I am quite nit-picky when it comes to PSUs.
OK, let me rephrase. I think one should prefer high quality PSUs over high powered ones. In other words, I'd pick an "expensive" 500 W PSU over a cheap 800 W one.

Stay away from cheap no-name PSUs. As Stillbruch explained it's better to get a quality 500W unit. In my experience PSUs lead the list of PC h/w failures.

Back
Top Bottom