Buying from OwnHammer vs. FractalAudio

rcv24

Inspired
The OwnHammer Heavy Hitter collections are $49.99 from the OwnHammer website and $39.99 from the FractalAudio website. Are there any differences? I.e., is there a reason to pay $10 more to get the package from OwnHammer? Thanks for your thoughts!

I would go with FractalAudio for having the .SYX and .IR file formats included. Ownhammer only provides .WAV

The ownhammer versions are more versatile if you use other amp sims/modelers, If you only ever use a fractal unit, the FAS set is sufficient.

I'd buy it from OH directly. In case the cab simulation on the Axe gets another update (who knows) or a hypothetical Axe3 supports longer IRs (>170ms), you can use the wav files to adjust to the new functionality (OH IRs are 500ms long iirc). With syx files this is not possible anymore.

I'd buy it from OH directly. In case the cab simulation on the Axe gets another update (who knows) or a hypothetical Axe3 supports longer IRs (>170ms), you can use the wav files to adjust to the new functionality (OH IRs are 500ms long iirc). With syx files this is not possible anymore.
we can use 200ms IRs in the AxeFX 2,also the OH packages come with 200ms IRs

Basically the versions on the Fractal store are whittled down Player's Packs and the versions on OwnHammer's site contain way more IRs. So it's up to you which you prefer and what your patience is for auditioning IRs. If you just want the cream of the crop, get the version in the Fractal store.

we can use 200ms IRs in the AxeFX 2,also the OH packages come with 200ms IRs
Oh, really? I thought they are 500ms. Thanks for pointing it out! Must have mixed those up with cabir.eu and valhallir.at, which come with 500ms options too.

I still vote for buying wav IRs! You can use them in DAWs, in other products (who knows, other vendors will get closer to Fractal, I'm pretty sure!). If you buy syx IRs, you can only use them with Fractal products.

I think you get Syx.. and Ultrares files from Fractal Audio ?
If you do,then you could use the Syx files..with other units/software (that suports Syx files)

Last edited:
Oh, really? I thought they are 500ms. Thanks for pointing it out! Must have mixed those up with cabir.eu and valhallir.at, which come with 500ms options too.

I still vote for buying wav IRs! You can use them in DAWs, in other products (who knows, other vendors will get closer to Fractal, I'm pretty sure!). If you buy syx IRs, you can only use them with Fractal products.

the fractal cabs sound pretty good man,but they should add in their cabs the wav files too,but after i bought the AX8 i stop using other guitar modeling apps.

I haven't bought IRs from Fractal so far, but I'm actually pretty sure that they only include UltraRes syx files and (maybe) ir-Files. Both are proprietary and can only be used with Fractal products.

Am I correct? If so, this is definitely an important information for the OP of this thread.

I haven't bought IRs from Fractal so far, but I'm actually pretty sure that they only include UltraRes syx files and (maybe) ir-Files. Both are proprietary and can only be used with Fractal products.

Am I correct? If so, this is definitely an important information for the OP of this thread.

you are correct the fractal audio cab packages include only syx files.

So it`s Syx files (that can be used in other systems that can load normal Syx files) and IR files inside the Fractal Audio cab packs ?

The syx files are specific to the Fractal platform and can't be used anywhere else. When I picked up some Ownhammer stuff, I went with their version because I thought I might want to use them inside my DAW at some point.

Another factor to point out is if you purchase from OH you get repeat customer discounts. Also .wav files need to be converted using something like Cablab. I always purchase .wavs in case I need them for something other than the Axe.

From Fractal Audio Store: 240 Impulses

"You will find "raw" .IR files for Cab-Lab, and another folder containing .SYX files for the Axe-Fx II (all models) or AX8. .Syx files are processed with Minimum Phase Transformation so they mix perfectly with other IRs "in the box."

From Ownhammer: 9168 unique IR's

Wave Audio (.wav)

Wave audio format IR's (.wav) are compatible with convolution reverb type loaders in recording software and outboard hardware units and are provided in:
  • 24 bit resolution
  • 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96 kHz sample rates
  • mono channel count
  • minimum phase transformed ("Mpt") and non-minimum phase transformed
  • 200 and 500 ms decay tail lengths
For added convenience, .wav files appropriate for conversion or submission to the following platforms have been separated out and designated within the library structure:
  • Atomic Amplifire
  • Fractal Audio Systems hardware/software
  • Kemper Profiling Amp
  • Line 6 Helix
  • Two Notes hardware
KNOW YOUR PLATFORM'S FILE FORMAT!
THIS LIBRARY CONTAINS .WAV FORMAT FILES ONLY.

Last edited:
FAS packs have just .syx and .ir files. I prefer wave files, but I have lots of excelente ML Studio packs, and when I need a wave format for the IR or SYX files, I use a DAW, Cab-Lab and Voxengo Deconvolver to recreate wave file. This conversion is not 100%, but works fine to me. I use them on AMT Pangaea cp-100 to load wave IRs when I use bias fx on my iPad (when traveling). I wrote this just to share that is possible to recreate wave files from .IR.

you dont need cab lab to convert syx files,with the axe edit can import wav files to the axefx or ax8.

SeeD said the same thing above so I tried it before I posted. I could not import a wav using Axe Edit. I must be doing something wrong. Ah, I found it.

Release 3.12.0 December 16, 2016 : AxeManage: CABS now supports the importing of .wav IR files. WAV files must be imported using the Browser window. Importing a stereo WAV file will produce two entries in the Browser, one entry for the left and one entry for the right channel.

I've had Cablab so long that I never noticed this implementation. Thanks for the correction \m/

Back
Top Bottom