Buying a second CLR cab - active or passive?

benson

Inspired
Hi folks looking for some FRFR advice. I have an active CLR cab and am considering buying a second to fill the sound out more. A passive cab appeals because it's cheaper and lighter but an active cab would give me a little more flexibility in terms of leaving one cab in my music room and the other at rehearsal then bring em together for gigs.

Can someone please school me on the difference between the two approaches given I can slave the passive from the active? Would two active cabs provide more headroom, punch or volume?

I have two active CLRs (which sound great!) so I don't know how well it would work to combine an active & a passive but the passive is only 2 lbs lighter so there is no real weight advantage.

I have two active CLRs (which sound great!) so I don't know how well it would work to combine an active & a passive but the passive is only 2 lbs lighter so there is no real weight advantage.

That's a good point, but the price differential is still £200 or $280 between the two here in the UK :(

Well, when you mentioned slaving the passive from the active, keep in mind that the out is just link out, so it won't drive a passive cab. You would need a separate power amp.

In terms of headroom or volume, the amp in the active version is optimised for the speaker. According to the designer, when comparing the active vs passive models, it's not possible to surpass the the performance of the active model by using a power amp with the passive; you can possibly equal it with the right equipment and if you know what you're doing, but the active maximizes the performance as-is. The active model also has a safety feature that prevents the amp from driving the speaker harder when it's near its operational limit, so it's harder to blow a speaker.

Since you already have an active cab, you know about the multiple inputs and DSP, so you have flexibility there. The multi inputs lets you feed a band mix and your guitar mix, and independently control the level of each, without the need for an external mixer. I do this in my practice room using backing tracks. A bonus is that shaping your tone while simultaneously feeding a band (or backing) mix can help you make a tone that cuts through.

you can't slave a passive from an active. I own a pair of each, passive and active CLRs. Get another active CLR.

Back
Top Bottom