Buy Dweezil's Fractal Presets

Pff, I don't get the ongoing 'complaints'.
Don't want it? Don't buy it.
3 banks of custom sounds is an awful lot of work. Translated to hours.
I'm in.

I'm with you. If you like it, buy it. If you, don't, don't. Personally, I'd rather make my own though.

I think I'd learn a TON from Dweezil's ZPZ presets! A LOT of time was invested by FAS & Dweezil, and others, to get those sounds. I can make patches I like, but why reinvent the wheel with these? It'd take ages and need audio of a good concert too (or does he have a live CD?). I am interested in the patches he used on stage on his last ZPZ tour - not what he used in the studio, as that's what I heard, and loved, and wish to learn from.

So all of you who say you don't want somebody's preset, because you don't want to sound like him..

Does it mean you guys have never bought/used real pedals for the same reason? Oh and amps?

I think I'd learn a TON from Dweezil's ZPZ presets! A LOT of time was invested by FAS & Dweezil, and others, to get those sounds. I can make patches I like, but why reinvent the wheel with these? It'd take ages and need audio of a good concert too (or does he have a live CD?). I am interested in the patches he used on stage on his last ZPZ tour - not what he used in the studio, as that's what I heard, and loved, and wish to learn from.

Then these are perfect for you...

Ok, a few things I can contribute.... Dweezil plays .09s on the Roxy SG (not .08s), and it's his main guitar these days along with a Strat.

If you've heard Zappa Plays Zappa live through the years, you know how amazingly good and accurate his live stage tones are to Frank's album sounds. Once heard him getting Frank's filthy guitar tones live, with NO AMP, that's what got me to look into the Fractal -- at that time it was an Ultra!

Right now he is using the AXE FX Mark II (Not XL) -- but the presets should mostly translate to XL except for a few things (like any tremolo block may turn on in conversion to XL, just shut it off and save).

He DOES often use a lot pedals before and in the FX loop of the AXE FX, lots of cool fuzzes and drive pedals, so those aren't going to be reflected some presets. He also often uses custom User IRs as well so that is a consideration, I doubt he can give away those if they are based on RedWirez or Ownhammers, but I'd speculate he'd probably provide notes on key user cabs and what he used.

The whole purpose of this effort is to RAISE MONEY TO MAKE MONEY FOR HIS SOLO ALBUM. It's not something he's going into business doing (selling AXE FX presets). Have you heard his 2006 solo album? Go listen to "Noitpure." Tears your head off. Other great songs and tones on there, one guitar sounds just like John Lord's Deep Purple distorted organ, fabulous. It's great stuff, and I'm super excited he'll be doing another solo venture with the AXE FX prominently featured!

I'm lucky enough to have spent a little time with him at his guitar clinics; and he is a tone freak and creative genius in cleverly constructing patches with modifiers controllers and such to get great, inspiring sounds. I've gotten to see a few presets from his Ultra days in Axe Edit format and they are instructive and often counter-intuitive-- they taught me some different ways to think about preset construction. Remember, I believe Dweezil was the guy along with Matt that came up with the "Wildcard" concept (see the AXE FX manual).

Me? I'm totally in for $200/done. I heard his Hendrix presets from he last tour and they were amazingly accurate -- now, it took TWO Axe FX's to get there, but he really knows how to nail it. And M@tt helped out on a bunch.

So -- yes $200 is a lot for some people, I get that. But the point is to raise money to help him make his solo album! Don't think of this as equivalent of trying to sell you Cab IRs on website as a business for a price. The TIME alone he put into creating all these presets/sounds, even billed at just $20/hour -- you think it only took him 10 hours to painstakingly nail even a hundred of presets? Nah.

I appreciate all the different views, but I'm ecstatic he'd even be willing to offer to sell all the presets to the masses, given the effort and time he put into them for getting very precise, signature Frank Z. and Dweezil sounds (think Cello!). I'm just grateful!!!

Can't wait to get them!

So all of you who say you don't want somebody's preset, because you don't want to sound like him..

Does it mean you guys have never bought/used real pedals for the same reason? Oh and amps?

Seems to me that's not what this thread is about. I use other peoples presets all the time. We are just looking for details. IMO

Ok, a few things I can contribute.... Dweezil plays .09s on the Roxy SG (not .08s), and it's his main guitar these days along with a Strat.

If you've heard Zappa Plays Zappa live through the years, you know how amazingly good and accurate his live stage tones are to Frank's album sounds. Once heard him getting Frank's filthy guitar tones live, with NO AMP, that's what got me to look into the Fractal -- at that time it was an Ultra!

Right now he is using the AXE FX Mark II (Not XL) -- but the presets should mostly translate to XL except for a few things (like any tremolo block may turn on in conversion to XL, just shut it off and save).

He DOES often use a lot pedals before and in the FX loop of the AXE FX, lots of cool fuzzes and drive pedals, so those aren't going to be reflected some presets. He also often uses custom User IRs as well so that is a consideration, I doubt he can give away those if they are based on RedWirez or Ownhammers, but I'd speculate he'd probably provide notes on key user cabs and what he used.

The whole purpose of this effort is to RAISE MONEY TO MAKE MONEY FOR HIS SOLO ALBUM. It's not something he's going into business doing (selling AXE FX presets). Have you heard his 2006 solo album? Go listen to "Noitpure." Tears your head off. Other great songs and tones on there, one guitar sounds just like John Lord's Deep Purple distorted organ, fabulous. It's great stuff, and I'm super excited he'll be doing another solo venture with the AXE FX prominently featured!

I'm lucky enough to have spent a little time with him at his guitar clinics; and he is a tone freak and creative genius in cleverly constructing patches with modifiers controllers and such to get great, inspiring sounds. I've gotten to see a few presets from his Ultra days in Axe Edit format and they are instructive and often counter-intuitive-- they taught me some different ways to think about preset construction. Remember, I believe Dweezil was the guy along with Matt that came up with the "Wildcard" concept (see the AXE FX manual).

Me? I'm totally in for $200/done. I heard his Hendrix presets from he last tour and they were amazingly accurate -- now, it took TWO Axe FX's to get there, but he really knows how to nail it. And M@tt helped out on a bunch.

So -- yes $200 is a lot for some people, I get that. But the point is to raise money to help him make his solo album! Don't think of this as equivalent of trying to sell you Cab IRs on website as a business for a price. The TIME alone he put into creating all these presets/sounds, even billed at just $20/hour -- you think it only took him 10 hours to painstakingly nail even a hundred of presets? Nah.

I appreciate all the different views, but I'm ecstatic he'd even be willing to offer to sell all the presets to the masses, given the effort and time he put into them for getting very precise, signature Frank Z. and Dweezil sounds (think Cello!). I'm just grateful!!!

Can't wait to get them!

Might have to wonder if he priced it at $49 if he might sell 5x as many though. Maybe if it was a $19.99 price he would sell 15x as many.

I very well may have spent $20 if I heard some good reviews, I bet a lot of people too. At $200 though, you certainly don't have to sell quite as many to make the same profit, but you might also eliminate most of your potential market.

I don't think he is selling it for $200.

The presets are are addition to the $200 pledge. It's all about supporting his album this time. If you are willing to give him $200 towards to his album he gives you that in return.

It's not a sale!!

I don't think he is selling it for $200.

The presets are are addition to the $200 pledge. It's all about supporting his album this time. If you are willing to give him $200 towards to his album he gives you that in return.

It's not a sale!!

Exactly. This about raising money to make his solo album in crowd funding fashion, and not about trying to make money selling AXE FX presets. That's a just an extra, and I think it's very cool he is willing to share those if you support the album at that level, there is soooooo much work that goes into tweaking those to get those tones spot-on!

Exactly. This about raising money to make his solo album in crowd funding fashion, and not about trying to make money selling AXE FX presets. That's a just an extra, and I think it's very cool he is willing to share those if you support the album at that level, there is soooooo much work that goes into tweaking those to get those tones spot-on!

I am curious how much people would give him 200$ for his album if the Axe presets weren't included.......

Can't wait to get them!

austinbuddy, always positive and a voice of reason....Thanks!

I'm convinced there's a damn mighty lot of interesting stuff in there. Think I will hit the button before the Euro get's under the USD..
Thanks a lot for the work Dweezil proposes, I'm not so acquainted with his music but love the full and radiant fat tones he can get. Regarding the technique, even if I'd have a second life I probably wouldn't be able to come to part of that level.

Can't wait to get them!

Let me add that he uses four QSCs (FRFR) and two AXE FX Mark IIs on stage..."your results may vary!"

Back
Top Bottom