Buy Axe-Fx III?

siin82

Inspired
I am considering buying an Axe-Fx III and would like some opinions. My current setup:

Amp heads - Mesa Mini Rec, Peavey Classic 20
Effects - noise gates, autowahs, phaser, flangers, tremolo, delay, overdrives, compressors, octaver, synth...22 effects in total
Rivera Rock Crusher Recording - used to connect the amp heads to the input device
Input Device - Steinberg UR242
DAW - Pro Tools
Computer - PC

This setup is only used in a studio environment. I was thinking of selling everything and buying an Axe-Fx III (I'll have more than enough after selling everything).

Here are my questions:

1. Can an Axe-Fx III alone be sufficient for recording guitar and bass? Is anything else needed?
2. Do I still need the Steinberg or can the Axe-Fx III be the input device for my DAW (I'll keep the Steinberg for recording vocals)?
3. Any issues with recording bass with the Axe-Fx III?
4. Finally, do you think this is the way to go? I'll save a ton of space, which my wife would be most happy about, since the studio is in our home.

Appreciate any responses.

Most people who plug into the AxeFX III love it and will not go back.

Major updates to core amplifier modeling (Cygnus) along with revamp factory presets plus literally thousands of other options make it the best MI purchase I’ve made.

1. Yes. Everything is there, and it is more than capable of recording both, even at the same time.

2. Connecting your III through USB means you can use it as a soundcard, so you won't need the Steinberg. If you'd like to keep your monitors connected to the Steinberg, you might want to use that instead. Depends on your setup.

3. Same as guitar, no

4. If you like the workflow, it is certainly better, imo. The digital workflow isn't for everyone, so I'd really recommend getting the III and trying it before selling your stuff, and deciding from there. I'm confident it's the right choice, but only you can decide that.

1. Yes. Everything is there, and it is more than capable of recording both, even at the same time.

2. Connecting your III through USB means you can use it as a soundcard, so you won't need the Steinberg. If you'd like to keep your monitors connected to the Steinberg, you might want to use that instead. Depends on your setup.

3. Same as guitar, no

4. If you like the workflow, it is certainly better, imo. The digital workflow isn't for everyone, so I'd really recommend getting the III and trying it before selling your stuff, and deciding from there. I'm confident it's the right choice, but only you can decide that.
Appreciate these answers.

On #4, what is tricky about the digital workflow, other than learning something new? Is the learning curve steep? I'm tech saavy and know how to google stuff. Plus, you got this great forum. Any downside at all going with the Axe-Fx III?

1. It'll be all you need for guitar and bass.

2. I've never used the Axe-FX as my main interface because I don't like switching interfaces back and forth and then switching inputs/outputs. I just hook up the Axe to my Focusrite via SPID/IF or 1/4 inch and then it's integrated nicely into my existing setup.

3. No. Some people are bothered by the lack of amp models but the ones that are there pretty much cover all the bases (no pun intended).

4. I don't think there's anything tricky about the digital workflow. Axe-edit makes it super easy to visualize everything that's going on. All the amp models behave like their real-life counterparts in terms of how you dial them in. Learning curve really isn't steep. You've got all those effects already so you probably already know what kinds of sounds you're after and how to tweak different kinds of effects and stuff.

Lastly, the thing I keep telling people is that buying the Axe-FX III is the ultimate GAS-killer. Whenever I see a nice amp in a music store, I really don't care because I have it at home (in my Axe-FX). Same for effects. It's kinda like winning the lottery because a lot of us guitar dorks would take a chunk of our winnings and buy a ton of amps and effects but since modern digital modeling exists we don't have to!

...Lastly, the thing I keep telling people is that buying the Axe-FX III is the ultimate GAS-killer. Whenever I see a nice amp in a music store, I really don't care because I have it at home (in my Axe-FX). Same for effects. It's kinda like winning the lottery because a lot of us guitar dorks would take a chunk of our winnings and buy a ton of amps and effects but since modern digital modeling exists we don't have to!
I'll second this. I have bought zero amps and effects ever since I got on the Fractal train. (Started with the Axe-Fx II, now running the III.) Now I just spend my extra money on guitars instead. :D

I’ve had many boutique amps, made my own effects and sold them professionally, had the Kemper, Helix and the Axe Fx III. You get everything you need plus you can make your own effects and amp settings that go deeper than any guitar processor modeler ever designed. It replaces everything and sounds exactly like a professionally mixed amp that sits better in the mix than anything I’ve ever used. I’d recommend selling everything because you won’t need anything you mentioned owning after getting it…

I am considering buying an Axe-Fx III and would like some opinions. My current setup:

Amp heads - Mesa Mini Rec, Peavey Classic 20
Effects - noise gates, autowahs, phaser, flangers, tremolo, delay, overdrives, compressors, octaver, synth...22 effects in total
Rivera Rock Crusher Recording - used to connect the amp heads to the input device
Input Device - Steinberg UR242
DAW - Pro Tools
Computer - PC

This setup is only used in a studio environment. I was thinking of selling everything and buying an Axe-Fx III (I'll have more than enough after selling everything).

Here are my questions:

1. Can an Axe-Fx III alone be sufficient for recording guitar and bass? Is anything else needed?
2. Do I still need the Steinberg or can the Axe-Fx III be the input device for my DAW (I'll keep the Steinberg for recording vocals)?
3. Any issues with recording bass with the Axe-Fx III?
4. Finally, do you think this is the way to go? I'll save a ton of space, which my wife would be most happy about, since the studio is in our home.

Appreciate any responses.
Well, yeah — buy one ASAP. It’ll change your life. Duh.

Of course, you might expect that asking a bunch of us AxeHeads isn’t going to result in very many “no, this thing is shite and you should just keep what you’ve got” responses…

Of course, you might expect that asking a bunch of us AxeHeads isn’t going to result in very many “no, this thing is shite and you should just keep what you’ve got” responses…
lol...yeah, I did think about that.

Gonna buy it and try it before selling my other gear. But I really just needed that final nudge to make my decision - I've researched and watched a bunch of videos. Plus, I love Devin Townsend's sound...that's endorsement enough.

Appreciate these answers.

On #4, what is tricky about the digital workflow, other than learning something new? Is the learning curve steep? I'm tech saavy and know how to google stuff. Plus, you got this great forum. Any downside at all going with the Axe-Fx III?
I never thought it was tricky, and every firmware update just gets easier to play. However, the abundance of knobs and switches and cabs and everything does scare people sometimes.

I ditched a ridiculous board with 3 drives, comp, gate, the 3 big strymons, ditto, drop, Freqout, and a BOSS ES-8 switcher.

I was able to easily recreate the FOH sound of my 65Amps Ventura and that board with the Axe3. The only thing I still have is my FreqOut in a loop.

Get it, you'll sell everything else off.

Back
Top Bottom