I'm in the UK, I'm very happy with G66 - I have bought an AX8, III, FC6, FC12.

Each time they've been great, friendly, efficient - frankly than every online retailer I've dealt with.

So absolutely no complaints, and they set the price so I live with it.

However for the sake of fairness, there's some awfully bad maths here - you cannot compare the retail price Fractal charge us with the price G66 are paying, it would be a pretty poor distribution deal if they're paying full retail.

BUT - as Cliff has basically alluded to, whether I like it or not (since no one has asked me) - G66 are the way for me to buy Fractal, I don't want to go grey market and they set the price. I want to own Fractal equipment, and it's genuinely changed my life for the better so I'm happy to pay

I suspect some of this is that Fractal works to a slightly different model - we're used to seeing distributors as a tightly coupled extension of the main company, from various posts - I believe the relationship maybe a little different here.

However that is none of my business, nor should it be - I vote with my wallet, as above.

I bought a full priced mesa boogie Mark V + cab in france, sold it
I bought a full priced axefx2xl+, later a mfc101mk3 at G66's
I bought a full priced music man JP12 in france, it's like a 2200$ guitar I paid 3500€

I totally get the VAT and other explanations on price, but I admit it hurts and looks stupid from the outside.
Tensions between US president and some EU country, plus the brexit for UK fellows, are sign it's not gonna change in the good way.

The only good thing that could happen to us is that the price drop in USA on the axefx3 impacts our price on next batches.

I'm in the UK. I bought a 'B Stock' unit from G66, and a brand new FC12. OK, I maxed out my credit card in the process but still, Couldn't be happier.
We pay a lot more for this stuff in the UK and Europe, but that's just a fact of life. It's still the best unit out there by some margin, and worth the money IMO.

I didn't get any chocolates though.... I'm still on a real downer over that....

Reactions: Ole
Let a friend that lives in the usa pick it up and bring it to you physically, if you happen to have such a friend. That s what i do with my custom shop guitars. They are about 1k less in the usa.

Another very happy UK customer here

Bought a FX8, Axe-FX3 and FC6 from them and service has always been top notch

As an existing customer Sussi even very kindly allowed me to "inherit" the remainder of the warranty on a used AX8 I bought privately from a UK guitar forum, I don't suppose many distributors would have done that.

Pricing fairness has been well established in this thread already, so the bottom line is that if you want the best modeller out there, then that's the price you pay.

And frankly for what you get, it's an absolute bargain

I don't recall ever getting chocolates from Fractal Audio Systems. I am pissed.

Edit Translation in case Mark reads this: I don't recall ever getting chocolates from Fractal Audio Systems, eh. I am pissed, eh.

I don't recall ever getting chocolates from Fractal Audio Systems. I am pissed.

Edit Translation in case Mark reads this: I don't recall ever getting chocolates from Fractal Audio Systems, eh. I am pissed, eh.

Can you edit it again, because saying you are 'pissed' in the UK means you are drunk, whereas, if you are 'pissed off' you are upset/disgruntled. You can of course be both if you are Scottish. :tongueclosed:

Can you edit it again, because saying you are 'pissed' in the UK means you are drunk, whereas, if you are 'pissed off' you are upset/disgruntled. You can of course be both if you are Scottish. :tongueclosed:

In this context, for us, I think Pissed is a little less aggressive, and makes it more clear that I am kidding. Pissed Off is more aggressive, and those who know me, would still know it was a joke, but a little teensy bit less clear. If that makes any sense.

For those who don't know me: I was kidding (but I want my chocolate).

As a guy that has worked in the audio manufacturing industry for nearly 30 years and has held executive positions at some of the largest, most well-known and respected audio companies in the world ( I guarantee that 80% of the people on this forum own something to which I'm connected) it is obvious that G66 overcharges because they hold a monopoly position in the market. The balance of the value proposition is terribly skewed.

Fractal could do with a better form of distribution if they had the interest to do so. Reach out to me as the EMEA sphere has been my specialty over the past 18 years.

As a guy that has worked in the audio manufacturing industry for nearly 30 years and has held executive positions at some of the largest, most well-known and respected audio companies in the world ( I guarantee that 80% of the people on this forum own something to which I'm connected) it is obvious that G66 overcharges because they hold a monopoly position in the market. The balance of the value proposition is terribly skewed.

Fractal could do with a better form of distribution if they had the interest to do so. Reach out to me as the EMEA sphere has been my specialty over the past 18 years.

I don't know how the figures pan out to be able to say if G66 overcharge or not, as I am not privy to that information. I do know that they have outstanding customer service. I once bricked my Axe FX II by knocking out the power lead during an update. G66 emailed me instructions on how to reset it, (this on a Sunday), and sent me the required EEPROM out, absolutely free of charge, on the Monday. They were also really helpful when UPS screwed up a delivery and returned it to G66 claiming I had rejected the delivery. G66 redelivered at no extra cost to me.

Try buying a Marshall amp in the USA compared to the UK. I have done the math on multiple amps recently. Its a far worse situation. You can buy a Marshall 230v head shipped from the Uk and get a power converter to USA 110v for about 55-60% of what it costs in the USA to buy one depending on which amp you pick.

Handwired 1959 Plexi for $1800 compared to $3499

2203 800 re-issue $1550 compared to $2999

$25-50 for a converter and $25-30 for the import fees.

Far worse when you do the math.

It is what it is and there are many reasons for it.

Even trolls get to vote with their wallet.

Last edited:
I don't know how the figures pan out to be able to say if G66 overcharge or not, as I am not privy to that information. I do know that they have outstanding customer service. I once bricked my Axe FX II by knocking out the power lead during an update. G66 emailed me instructions on how to reset it, (this on a Sunday), and sent me the required EEPROM out, absolutely free of charge, on the Monday. They were also really helpful when UPS screwed up a delivery and returned it to G66 claiming I had rejected the delivery. G66 redelivered at no extra cost to me.

This doesn't seem exception in any way except for the communication on a Sunday. Thomann and many other resellers would provide everything you listed except for, perhaps, the lucky one-off Sunday communication.

Fractal could have coordinated pricing wherein discounts and events would be synchronized globally. This is standard in the industry and Fractal/G66 are outliers.

I believe the small volume and popularity of the product allows for the monopoly. Alas, it is a Catch22 effect in that they grow slower than could be possible.

Try buying a Marshall amp in the USA compared to the UK. I have done the math on multiple amps recently. Its a far worse situation. You can buy a Marshall 230v head shipped from the Uk and get a power converter to USA 110v for about 55-60% of what it costs in the USA to buy one depending on which amp you pick.

Handwired 1959 Plexi for $1800 compared to $3499

2203 800 re-issue $1550 compared to $2999

$25-50 for a converter and $25-30 for the import fees.

Far worse when you do the math.

It is what it is and there are many reasons for it.

Even trolls get to vote with their wallet.

Not sure as to what this anecdote has to do with Fractal/G66. Citing anecdotes doesn't prove points or reflect upon completely different sales/distribution channels.

My point with the Marshall reference was simple for the OP.....things are not always fair....quit your bitching and stop being a troll.

it is obvious that G66 overcharges because they hold a monopoly position in the market
I think it's obvious that you're talking out of your ass. Neither one of us is privy to the distribution agreement between Fractal and G66, but some quick napkin math that only takes known factors into account does not indicate any egregious overcharging. Remember the US price does not include VAT, and let's use the initial US vs EU prices to eliminate factors such as discounts which might take a while to arrive on this side of the pond. The initial EU price pre-VAT was 2435€ (2900€ incl. VAT), compared to an US price of $2500 or about €2200 with the exchange rates in Q4 2018 (1€=~$1.14). So after VAT and currency conversion the EU price was roughly 10% higher than the US price. There's also import duties, stated as 4.5% in this thread (no idea if that's correct). As whatever remains after import duties must cover all of G66s expenses and make them a profit as well, it doesn't seem like price gouging.

Maybe if you drop the chocolates and the two year extra warranty and optimize other things, you could have offered it for less... or maybe not. Either way, I'd say put up or shut up. If you're convinced you can offer the same service as G66 for lower prices, contact Fractal and offer to take over the EU distribution. Otherwise, unless you've seen G66s books and know their margins, stop with the unsubstantiated accusations because that only leads to more uninformed people like OP complaining here because they don't know how VAT works.

Back
Top Bottom