Buxom Betty attempt.

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
Played around today. Did some research on the Friedman Buxom Betty as I loved it so much at Peach Guitars last week. ITs a blackface pre, coupled to a JTM45 Power stage essentially. So I did just that - Twin, changing the tonestack to a JTM45 and the valves to EL34s.

Had to lower the master to 7.5, and the input trim to 0.6 as it was breaking up at 0.5.... The real amp starts to break up at around 3.

Love the result. With an RTC booster and Zen Master as optional drives, and with 2 gain stages (4.1 for edge of breakup and 8 for full on saturation). Cant tell how close to the real thing it is obviously, as Its not been wound up flat out - and I dont have the amp in my home (unfortunately), but Im REALLY Happy with the sound its making.

For those who want a play, I have attached the patch.

The "clean" amp setting is on Amp Y, and the dirty is on amp X. You will have to play with your own cab - I have my cabs off by default as I go real amp/cab (Fryette Power Station into a 2x12), so the cab in the patch will be random, and not worked.

Should mention, I used a Strat to create the patch. The "gainy" tone cleans up really nice for a fatter/rounder clean that the actual clean setting too, with vol roll off OR picking strength. Very reactive.

Not sure if it should be here - posting the preset wasnt the main point of my post (in fact it was an after thought), but if it would be better in the axe exhange then feel free to move it (Mods).

Attachments

• Buxom Betty.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Unless this is a mk1/2 patch you should share the block rather than the preset.

Thanks for doing it. I love experiments like this.

Seems to me like you would start w/ something like the JTM45 model and then change the tone stack to one of the Fender models (opposite of what you did)? I haven't experimented w/ changing the tone stacks in various models much yet.. but I should. I haven't played one of the Buxom Bettys yet, but I really like the small box 50 and the Buxom Betty seems like a perfect design for my preferences. I'll check out your preset and reply back if I get the chance. Thanks

Seems to me like you would start w/ something like the JTM45 model and then change the tone stack to one of the Fender models (opposite of what you did)? I haven't experimented w/ changing the tone stacks in various models much yet.. but I should. I haven't played one of the Buxom Bettys yet, but I really like the small box 50 and the Buxom Betty seems like a perfect design for my preferences. I'll check out your preset and reply back if I get the chance. Thanks
exactly....changing the tonestack to the JTM is reverse of what the BB is. it's a Fender tonestack into a JTM power section.

Fair enough - Ill try the other way round as well. FWIW - I really like what I have created anyway.

Really poor recording, camera is a bog standard Samsung camera oin movie mode (not even a real video camera), randomly placed on a shelf way off axis - and its loud. Still

Ooook. Tried the other way round, and I like that too. Cleaner - didnt need to reduce the trim or master volume. Brasher when driven, more mids/less scooped when clean. Need to find a real amp to now see which is closer. I think the latter...

Back
Top Bottom