Button Issue

bishop5150

Fractal Fanatic
Just got my AX8 last week. Loving it. But having an issue with the Store and Edit buttons. They don't push in like the others. They do work but it's a little bit of a hassle working with them to edit things. Anybody else experience this? Guess I need to contact FAS about it. I really don't want to have to send it back though. Ugh, what to do? I don't want to be without it but also would like the buttons to be in good working order.

I have the same issue with Store and Enter buttons. Enter button was faulty from the beginning but Store was working properly for about a week before the same behaviour started. They do work, but they don't have the click that they should have when pressing. It's not that big of a deal for me, the only downside is that it's easy to press them accidentally because they don't need that much pressure. Just a little touch is enough.

I also noticed, since day one, the Enter button on my unit works, but it doesn't 'click' like the others...

I have the same issue with Store and Enter buttons. Enter button was faulty from the beginning but Store was working properly for about a week before the same behaviour started. They do work, but they don't have the click that they should have when pressing. It's not that big of a deal for me, the only downside is that it's easy to press them accidentally because they don't need that much pressure. Just a little touch is enough.
That's exactly what mine are doing. They don't have the "click" when pressed like the others do and they are very sensitive. When editing via the unit say I pick the amp block on the grid and I press the edit button to access the parameters. Unless I press it very lightly it goes cycling through a bunch of different stuff. It's almost like its touch sensitive. I have to barely touch it to access the parameters I want. It does work just kind of a pain. I'm just worried about them failing completely down the road.

I had the same thing with my Exit button. I contacted Fractal about it and they had some suggestions on how to get it to pop out. That didn't work at the time, but a week or two later the button actually did pop out all by itself and started clicking normally. Seems like there's just enough friction with the surrounding area that some buttons are kind of stuck a bit, even if they do perform their intended function.

Here are the suggestions I received at the time from Fractal. I'm assuming it's okay to repost here since it doesn't involve opening the unit or anything radical that would void the warranty:

"1) Press and hold the switch down firmly (for a couple of seconds) while applying a steady force to the top of the black, plastic switch cover.

2) Repeat Step (1) several times allowing the switch a moment to return to its original position.

3) Rapidly press the switch several times using less force until it becomes responsive and is able to actuate freely.

Due to the accumulation of dimensional manufacturing tolerances along with the potential ingress of dust and small particulate into the rectangular bezel opening that surrounds the plastic switch cover, there can be enough of an interference to temporarily cause the actuation of the switch to be affected. Normally, the above procedure will remedy this problem."

Like I said, this didn't initially fix my button but it eventually popped out by itself, so perhaps it did help!

I had to send mine in to have them fix it. I tried the suggestions Customer Service mentioned above but I couldn't get the buttons to pop out. I sent it in while I had a month between gigs and had it back in less than 2 weeks. Works perfectly now.

Here are the suggestions I received at the time from Fractal. I'm assuming it's okay to repost here since it doesn't involve opening the unit or anything radical that would void the warranty:

"1) Press and hold the switch down firmly (for a couple of seconds) while applying a steady force to the top of the black, plastic switch cover.

2) Repeat Step (1) several times allowing the switch a moment to return to its original position.

3) Rapidly press the switch several times using less force until it becomes responsive and is able to actuate freely.

Due to the accumulation of dimensional manufacturing tolerances along with the potential ingress of dust and small particulate into the rectangular bezel opening that surrounds the plastic switch cover, there can be enough of an interference to temporarily cause the actuation of the switch to be affected. Normally, the above procedure will remedy this problem."

Like I said, this didn't initially fix my button but it eventually popped out by itself, so perhaps it did help!

Step 1 solved the problem without even having to go to the other steps! Thanks!!!

Huh, that seems to have fixed mine too.
Thanks for posting that.

I think it would be nice for fractal to sticky this, or make a section helping people out who are experiencing QC issues with their AX8s, as there seem to be little things (and the communication time out,BIG THING) that are popping up for many of us.

Had this issue on my Edit button. One forum search and step 1 solves it!

This forum is a very practical thing! :)

Thank you!

Jens

I'm having this issue with the Exit button on my FX8. It just starting acting up a week or so ago. With it stuck, I cannot edit via front panel.

I'm thinking of flushing the switch with isopropyl alcohol, then exercising it to free it up. Generally, pure alcohol is pretty benign to electronics. It leaves no residue. I clean circuit boards with it.

Anyone else try this? Can anyone think of a reason not to try it?

Back
Top Bottom