"..but can it do edge of breakup tones?"

First: Thanks Leon for the vid and path to the breakup sounds.

And: The ML pups are a bit hotter than the Texas Specials imo. Am I correct?

Great vid again bud.

You make the best points (to me) in the beginning. Low or medium output pups and pup selector choice are key here. The Axe (to me) never had a problem getting 'edge' tones, but good luck getting them with a hot LP....it can be done, but prepare for radical amp settings.

Great vid again bud.

You make the best points (to me) in the beginning. Low or medium output pups and pup selector choice are key here. The Axe (to me) never had a problem getting 'edge' tones, but good luck getting them with a hot LP....it can be done, but prepare for radical amp settings.

Ultimate tone challenge - get tones like this on an 8 string with EMG's.

One thing I like to do for these kinds of tones is to set the amp to where it's not got a huge amount of character by itself and then slap a boost type of drive block right before the amp. You can use the drive to both push the amp and pre-EQ at the same time.

These kinds of tones lurk within many of the amps... Just takes the right tweaks to get there.

What great timing. I was just trying to find those breakup sounds last night. Thanks for a great vid, Leon.

Last edited:
First: Thanks Leon for the vid and path to the breakup sounds.

And: The ML pups are a bit hotter than the Texas Specials imo. Am I correct?

Not sure how they compare but they're definitely not a hot SC.

The Tweed Deluxe just sounds great!

Edit: So does the Texas Star!

The Tweed Deluxe was a revelation when i started playing around with it. Worth the price of entry alone.

One thing I like to do for these kinds of tones is to set the amp to where it's not got a huge amount of character by itself and then slap a boost type of drive block right before the amp. You can use the drive to both push the amp and pre-EQ at the same time.

These kinds of tones lurk within many of the amps... Just takes the right tweaks to get there.

That's a whole other universe right there; the right pedal with the right amp and guitar can be an absolutely magic combo. the Blues OD with the tone all the way off or the FET boost with Klon settings are my staples, what are yours?

Not sure how they compare but they're definitely not a hot SC.

The Tweed Deluxe was a revelation when i started playing around with it. Worth the price of entry alone.

That's a whole other universe right there; the right pedal with the right amp and guitar can be an absolutely magic combo. the Blues OD with the tone all the way off or the FET boost with Klon settings are my staples, what are yours?
I like the SDD Drive, FET Boost and Micro Amp most. Also Timothy and T808...

I need to try that Blues OD setting... This is the 2nd time I've seen that one!

5F8 Tweed is my weapon of choice.

With Drive between 3 and 5, low Bass, Mid max, Treble max and Bright off, it sounds remarkable like a Twin, but with more body.
With a bit of Output Compression of course.

Last edited:
There are tons of examples of it but these two always come to mind for me.

Robin Trower Daydream Live:

John Mayer Slow Dancing in a Burning Room Live:
Second guitar tone that comes in at 0:14. Then at 2:24 and then both guitars again at 3:35. Say what you will about this guy but his live stuff is damn nice.

Man I love Robin Trower's guitar playing, been listening to him since the 70's.

Nice smooth breakup in that clip.

Back
Top Bottom