Burstbuckers 1, 2, 3, or Pro

6L6C

Power User
Just looking for peoples experiences with Burstbucker’s.
Are you using either type 1, 2, 3, or pro?
Or are you using a mix of the different type’s?
So far I lean toward either a set of Burstbucker 1’s.
Second configuration would be a mix Burstbucker 1 in the neck and a Burstbucker 2 in the bridge.

What I am kind of looking for; is that (tele on steroids) thing. I have a set of the Joe Bonamassa ‘Skinnerburst” in the target guitar (Les Paul standard) and they sound great but looking for something with a little more “spank” but a low output. I have another guitar with Seth Lovers in it and I like these also. I did make one little change lately put an Alnico 3 magnet in the bridge pickup. It’s nice, not better but nice change. Still not the spank I want. (When I did the magnet change it was not for the "spank" more shit's and giggles)

Funny thing I do have a Les Paul with that tele on steroids thing, but the output is a little hotter than what I’m looking for. It sounds great don’t get me wrong just want something a little different.

The Seth are quite soft sounding but wonderful open sounding A2 pickups; for more spank try them with (short) A5 magnets. That would lead you to the Gibson T-top Pat. Nr. pickups, which I love. The BB1 are very bright and might fit your bill too; the BB2 could be to strong for your needs.
Have you measured the resistance of your pots? For maximum brightness they should read around 500k. Gibson pots are often around 300k, what mellows the pickups.

Last edited:
That’s interesting. The alnico III is my favorite, balanced pickup for my LP. I have a Kiesel JB24 numbers guitar that would make you smile. 2 Humbuckers. One bridge , one neck , and a single coil in the middle. I can add the amount of “spank” I want , via the 5- way switch. Really digging this guitar.

Check out Fralin pickups. They’re known for their clarity and definition, and may give you the spank you’re looking for. I used to have Classic 57s in my Les Paul, and they were pretty muddy. I installed Fralin Pure PAFs in my Les Paul and instant MASSIVE improvement. So much sting definition, and no mud in the low end, even on the neck pickup.

In my Heritage H150 I just replaced the stock SD 59s with Fralin Hum Cancelling P90s. The tone is phenomenal.

You can call Fralin to get suggestions. You might even get to talk to Lindy Fralin himself!

The Seth are quite soft sounding but wonderful open sounding A2 pickups; for more spank try them with (short) A5 magnets. That would lead you to the Gibson T-top Pat. Nr. pickups, which I love. The BB1 are very bright and might fit your bill too; the BB2 could be to strong for your needs.
Have you measured the resistance of your pots? For maximum brightness they should read around 500k. Gibson pots are often around 300k, what mellows the pickups.
Yeah the guitar with the Seth Lovers I may try the Alnico 5 for the bridge pickup or even the neck also. (what the hell) but suspect be sticking with the 2 or 3 for the neck. The covers are off the pickups so magnet swapping is pretty easy with that guitar (Gibson V).
The pots is a good call! Since it is so often overlooked. But I’m covered there, about 6 years ago I had the opportunity to hand pick my pots, went through a batch of about 80 or 90. I took 8 of them (two Les Paul’s) the lowest measured at 470k.
Seen a few more videos starting to lean a little more towards BB2 bridge BB1 neck. Hard to tell this way of coarse, never really know till they are in my guitar.

That’s interesting. The alnico III is my favorite, balanced pickup for my LP. I have a Kiesel JB24 numbers guitar that would make you smile. 2 Humbuckers. One bridge , one neck , and a single coil in the middle. I can add the amount of “spank” I want , via the 5- way switch. Really digging this guitar.
I like the Alnico 3 also, The Bonamassa Skinner Burst picks have them and sound great (currently installed in the Les Paul I may do the work on) Don’t you have a set of Skinner Burst also? The Skinner Burst pickups are what got me the install the Alnico 3’s on the Seth Lover set. But as of lately as far as the SL set, I like the 3 in the bridge and the 2 in the neck. At least with the guitar they are installed in.
Just want a bit more spank (for this particular guitar) I think the BB are the ticket due to the coils are wound with uneven counts.
Les Paul Spank = P90s!
Yep! You are correct sir a Paul with P90’s has been on my mind a while and hopefully will happen sometime in the future.

Yeah the guitar with the Seth Lovers I may try the Alnico 5 for the bridge pickup or even the neck also. (what the hell) but suspect be sticking with the 2 or 3 for the neck. The covers are off the pickups so magnet swapping is pretty easy with that guitar (Gibson V).
The pots is a good call! Since it is so often overlooked. But I’m covered there, about 6 years ago I had the opportunity to hand pick my pots, went through a batch of about 80 or 90. I took 8 of them (two Les Paul’s) the lowest measured at 470k.
Seen a few more videos starting to lean a little more towards BB2 bridge BB1 neck. Hard to tell this way of coarse, never really know till they are in my guitar.

I like the Alnico 3 also, The Bonamassa Skinner Burst picks have them and sound great (currently installed in the Les Paul I may do the work on) Don’t you have a set of Skinner Burst also? The Skinner Burst pickups are what got me the install the Alnico 3’s on the Seth Lover set. But as of lately as far as the SL set, I like the 3 in the bridge and the 2 in the neck. At least with the guitar they are installed in.
Just want a bit more spank (for this particular guitar) I think the BB are the ticket due to the coils are wound with uneven counts.

Yep! You are correct sir a Paul with P90’s has been on my mind a while and hopefully will happen sometime in the future.
Yes I do have a set. I even have a spare set on hand ( just in case )
I hate to say too much about what anyone “should” use or not use. I’ve learned that pickups are essentially a type of microphone , that can’t change the core sound of a guitar. Brighter , darker , cleaner , won’t ever clean up , .... these are my results. Those lower output pickups tend to allow a little more quack to come out , with in my experience. That JB 24 guitar ; I mentioned , is getting all of my attention lately. The 5-way switch allows me to add in some single coil. I know you would dig it. It’s not going to help your situation though with the LP. Those CUSTOM BUCKERS , or skinner bursts , or any of the LP “boutique” pickups that tend to use alnico III magnets , should give you kinda what you’re after. IMO. When you get into the 7.2 - 7.8 range , they tend to have more spank. The skinners are a little hotter than that. - which are still nice. All depends on what sound and dynamics you want in the end - I guess. I don’t really have any good advice for you. I’m just blabbering. Let us know what you do and how you make out. I’m always happy to learn what works for other people on their quest for tone !

Back
Top Bottom