Bulk Rename?

McG03

Is there a way to bulk rename presets, if I have a block of presets I'm importing and I want to add a prefix to all of them like AH {Preset Name} is there a way to do that without having to do a rename on the syx file itself. I'm guessing I can find a file rename tool but figured I'd ask the experts here. Thanks all

If anything can do that it would be FracTool... I don't recall ever seeing that feature but that doesn't mean much ;)

I think the preset name is stored inside the file - don't think the file name itself has any bearing on the preset name. Otherwise, you could do this fairly simply from a command prompt on your computer.

If anything can do that it would be FracTool... I don't recall ever seeing that feature but that doesn't mean much ;)

I think the preset name is stored inside the file - don't think the file name itself has any bearing on the preset name. Otherwise, you could do this fairly simply from a command prompt on your computer.
Thanks, you are right on the file name thing, I did a basic bulk rename with regex with no luck, its stored inside the file. It seems like a useful feature, sometimes I get presets from folks and use their initials to differentiate them. I'll look into fracTool and see what I can come up with

Thanks, you are right on the file name thing, I did a basic bulk rename with regex with no luck, its stored inside the file. It seems like a useful feature, sometimes I get presets from folks and use their initials to differentiate them. I'll look into fracTool and see what I can come up with
If it doesn't do it now you can always ask @AlGrenadine if it could be added.

Not possible in FracTool
Could be added, but how would it work?

The situation is I get a folder of Presets from a friend, I want to add them all with his intials, lets say RT for example so his FenderClean preset becomes RT FenderClean and so on for all the presets. Right now it involves clicking on each Preset and manually renaming it would be nice if I could select a block of presets and add the 'RT' prefix to all of them. Hope that makes sense

The situation is I get a folder of Presets from a friend, I want to add them all with his intials, lets say RT for example so his FenderClean preset becomes RT FenderClean and so on for all the presets. Right now it involves clicking on each Preset and manually renaming it would be nice if I could select a block of presets and add the 'RT' prefix to all of them. Hope that makes sense
Yes but how would an UI allow this and other things?

I would think it's less about the UI and more about being able to programmatically edit Preset names, I don't know whats possible with the tool.

It's a good question. I would imagine an interface similar to the Manage Presets screen in FMEdit where you have the ability to select several presets. I'd think it would look similar to a 'find and edit' where you have the ability to do something like replace text (replace MH with JH in each preset), I know some people add their own initials it might be cool to remove those in a bulk fashion. I don't know if I can see it in my head, I'd kind of expect it to work like a RegEx tool.

It's a good question. I would imagine an interface similar to the Manage Presets screen in FMEdit where you have the ability to select several presets. I'd think it would look similar to a 'find and edit' where you have the ability to do something like replace text (replace MH with JH in each preset), I know some people add their own initials it might be cool to remove those in a bulk fashion. I don't know if I can see it in my head, I'd kind of expect it to work like a RegEx tool.
People won't be able to use regexes...

Completely agree on the RegEx, I was thinking more along the lines of the interface, in that you might be able to preview your changes. I think my Mac file browser does this pretty well. I've attached a couple screen shots. screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

Yea I get it, probably not worth the effort. Is there an API or library that you are using to get under the covers of the Fractal devices?

Back
Top Bottom