Bulb Zilla IR for Friedman HBE?

Does anyone have a favorite IR from the Bulb Zilla pack to pair with the Friedman HBE...

I am looking for something which is similar to the P3 tone, so i think i should obviously start with the "D" labeled mixes.

Just tons to choose from...

The thing is...mostly all of them sound pretty great with the HBE. If you're starting with the mixes you could try the V30 tight one as P3 rhythm tone was also V30. Not my place to judge a man whether he likes the "D" or not

If you're interested in Zilla IR's I can point you to this free one I made with my own Zilla Fatboy as well that I shared on the forums to see about getting feedback from people. I actually think it sounds great with the Friedman. Let me know what you think if you give it a try

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wgs-retro-30-free-ir.128249/

In the zilla, my personal preference is either the V30 or k100...no "D".

If you want the exact P3 tone, scroll to about 1:22 (1 hour 22 minutes) in this podcast, Misha outlines what the set up was for P3

No boost
Friedman - Everything at noon, gain 6, bright on, bass maybe rolled off a bit
Cab pack 13 - Misha mix 8

I can't attest to how close it would be to P3, but I've gotten the best tones out of the Zilla IRs by dialing in an amp with the "ML Zilla Flattest IR", then blending it with a second IR for flavor. Want something more scooped? Blend it with the K100. Want something more mid-rangey? Blend it with the V30. It has always sounded awesome, especially with the HBE.

Also, I've found that I prefer the non-D versions of the IRs, but your mileage may vary.

I've also been playing with using single-mic impulses too. Yesterday I spent an hour with the BE using the Zilla V30 M160 and the Zilla Green M SM57. I'm using the stereo cabs but leaving the panning and crossover at factory settings. Single mics seem to have more of a punchy sound although aren't as broad in the frequencies.

Yeah i agree... there is also a difference in a cab sim version for just listening to playing just guitar... and another for when something is being mixed down.

This is very valuable. Do you use the cabs in stereo, or mix in cab lab?

I run the cabs in stereo. When I'm single tracking or playing alone, I pan them hard left and right. When I'm dual tracking or playing with another guitarist, I pan both to my side of the track for more of a blended effect.

Yeah the PIII sound was actually Cab Pack 13 with the HBE amp sim. During that time there was only one HBE amp sim and that's the one that isn't V1 or V2 or anything in the unit... just the HBE. Not sure if I'm 100% responsible for this but when the HBE amp sims got replaced with the new versions I emailed Fractal that the original amp sim was used for the most sought after djent tone on the planet. :D

As far as the Zilla pack goes the closest thing to the actual IR's that Periphery used on Juggernaut (I have the real ones as well)... the closest ones are the V30 D versions. They only miked the V30 according to Nolly.

I'm new to all of this Can someone tell me what the d next to preset actually means and are the mixes two particular mics mixed or an eq'd patch not sure?

While the IRs used on PIV (not PIII) have already been revealed previously, does anyone know what amp sim was used this time around?

Yeah the PIII sound was actually Cab Pack 13 with the HBE amp sim. During that time there was only one HBE amp sim and that's the one that isn't V1 or V2 or anything in the unit... just the HBE. Not sure if I'm 100% responsible for this but when the HBE amp sims got replaced with the new versions I emailed Fractal that the original amp sim was used for the most sought after djent tone on the planet. :D

As far as the Zilla pack goes the closest thing to the actual IR's that Periphery used on Juggernaut (I have the real ones as well)... the closest ones are the V30 D versions. They only miked the V30 according to Nolly.
Did they restore it? If so, which one would be it on the Axe III? Can't find just "HBE" on the list.

Back
Top Bottom