Built my own Axe-FX MIDI Controller!

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
[attachment=0:3lydjkfh]mfc-gma.jpg[/attachment:3lydjkfh]

This is done with a Basic Stamp module and 3 Korg EC-5 units that I added LEDs to, built onto a tiered wooden base. So if you know basic programming and are handy with a soldering iron, build your own while you wait for the official one :D

There's a lot of detail here: http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/mfc-gma.htm but briefly:

- instant access to 8 x program change and 7 control change footswitches
- a shift footswitch (also the tap footswitch) gives access to another 8 programs and 6 control changes
- the attached pedal can control up to 3 different control changes
- CC toggle states are stored for each program change
- any or all can be sent after a program change to initialise Axe-FX modifiers
- one cable for MIDI, power and a pass-through for an additional pedal to the Axe-FX Pedal1
- there are startup options and more

GM Arts said:
This is done with a Basic Stamp module and 3 Korg EC-5 units that I added LEDs to, built onto a tiered wooden base. So if you know basic programming and are handy with a soldering iron, build your own while you wait for the official one :D

There's a lot of detail here: http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/mfc-gma.htm but briefly:

- instant access to 8 x program change and 7 control change footswitches
- a shift footswitch (also the tap footswitch) gives access to another 8 programs and 6 control changes
- the attached pedal can control up to 3 different control changes
- CC toggle states are stored for each program change
- any or all can be sent after a program change to initialise Axe-FX modifiers
- one cable for MIDI, power and a pass-through for an additional pedal to the Axe-FX Pedal1
- there are startup options and more

Now that's interesting! I tried it a couple years also, but for some reason I didn't complete that project.
Sure gonna read it and see what I can do with this info.

Thanks! :cool:

Why an older Korg pedal unit ? What's about the line6 fbv or the older l6 floorboard? Is there no way to customize them as a regular midi-board for use with the axefx?

Frizze :cool:

frizze said:
Why an older Korg pedal unit ? What's about the line6 fbv or the older l6 floorboard? Is there no way to customize them as a regular midi-board for use with the axefx?
Frizze :cool:

That's the point of this thread - I'm saying with some basic programming and electronics skill, you can build your own MIDI controller any way you want. No reason why you can't hack into a FBV or any other controller. I think the only real challenge might be intercepting & scaling pedal data.

I wanted 15 footswitches, and if I was good with metal work I would have built a metal box with footswitches. Using the Korg units was just the cheapest & easiest way for me to get 15 footswitches :D

Back
Top Bottom