Built in Cabs (IR's) .. which are your favorites?

Ericbr1

Inspired
Hey guys, just out of curiosity which are your favorite BUILT-IN Cabs? I've been using my AX8 unorthodoxly through a tube amp and guitar cab, and I play loud and don't go thru our pa's, but have some bigger outdoor gigs coming up and I'm going to run a 2nd feed thru the mains and my drummer/bassist's monitors, so am going to start experimenting with the CAB modeling tomorrow. Do you guys have favorites for predominantly hi-gain type amps (Splawn or Cameron , etc) ? If you don't mind sharing what you like, it might narrow down the obsessive time I spend a'b'ing them tomorrow! lol

Eric

Check out the 5 new Celestion IR's that came with Firmware 8.00
I absolutely love the greenback IR of them but they are all great (number 189 i think).
Cab 103 is also quite good but not as good as 189
You could also just check out yeks amp guide and try what he suggest for the amps you use.

Thanks guys, ultimately I will experiment and of course make up my own mind but just curious what you guys liked. :) Eric

I like the TAF collection (#150-#159) really well. #157 in particular mixes exceptionally well with the V30 and Greenback IR's to create a nice balanced hard rock sound.

#26 is great for cleans and as mentioned above, #103 is tough to beat as an all around great IR for high gain.

Of course all this depends on what exact speakers you're going into, i.e. FRFR or otherwise which kind of PA speakers. My first impressions scrolling through going into a NON-FRFR PA (but with flat eq)(Old TOA 380SE's) were I liked 35, 41 ,58, 119, 120, 125 148,149, and 161. . I haven't uploaded Firmware 8 yet so couldn't check out 189. . I'm in trouble being that I liked all those with my medium-hi-gain Cameron patch and didn't even check out any of my other programs. . Oh boy

CA Triptik 1x12. I've messed with so many, but to me, for what I do, this cab is magical. I favor Fender tones (currently using the Fender Super and Badger 30) and always find this cab to be awesome.

027 — 2x12 FUZZBOMB M160 !
I recently started using this cab for dirty and solo sounds and it's amazing! My new favorite. Not the best for clean though.

CA Triptik 1x12. I've messed with so many, but to me, for what I do, this cab is magical. I favor Fender tones (currently using the Fender Super and Badger 30) and always find this cab to be awesome.

Tried that one and it's excellent. Thanks! Eric

SO next question if you guys don't mind too much.. . For those going into a PA system. . .Are you leaving this CAB on 20hz for lo-cut and 20,000k for hi-cut or are you cutting the highs through the pa.. . For my tastes on many of those IR's I need to cut the highs. . How 'bout you guys? Eric

SO next question if you guys don't mind too much.. . For those going into a PA system. . .Are you leaving this CAB on 20hz for lo-cut and 20,000k for hi-cut or are you cutting the highs through the pa.. . For my tastes on many of those IR's I need to cut the highs. . How 'bout you guys? Eric

I leave that to the sound guy. If there isn't one, I cut between 120-150 Hz and 5-7 kHz.

I leave that to the sound guy. If there isn't one, I cut between 120-150 Hz and 5-7 kHz.

Sometimes I wish we had a soundguy..had them many years ago but unfortunately with this band I'm the sound guy from stage, which basically means no sound guy. That's why I tend to just play a high stage volume and not mic much. (I've actually had a sound business in the past, but rather play guitar!) In this case, I didn't really mean the foh board adjustments, but I meant on the AX8 itself.. Do you leave the CAB settings on page2 at 20hz and 20000k or chop off a range there? Eric

In this case, I didn't really mean the foh board adjustments, but I meant on the AX8 itself.. Do you leave the CAB settings on page2 at 20hz and 20000k or chop off a range there? Eric

Yeah, that's what I meant, in the Cab block. I do that for the signal to FOH as well as my own FR monitor when I use one. I just can't stand too much bass/treble, I like the sound to be focused, and fit in the mix.

Slope is 12 dB.

BTW, these days the Cab block defaults to Hi Cut Freq at 10 kHz.

85hz and 7500khz...every preset

12db slope

Occassionally I'll move the lpf up to 10000khz if it's an especially chimey tone like an AC30 or Twin. But high gain is always 7500 for me.

Back
Top Bottom