Building up my rythm guitars - Questions about the attack (Architects tone)

melt.astral

Hi everyone,

So following this thread I made a few days ago, I've been spending these last days working on my sound and I've been getting closer with the rythmic guitars thanks to your advices.

I talked about Gojira last time, but with some time I figured out that the best I could get would be from a mix between the sound of Gojira's rythmic guitars and Architects', by having one pair of each one. I mean I don't want to sound exactly like them, but let's say that I want to try the combination of death metal and djenty tones, as I like them both, and I want to start from these two bands' tones.

So now I'm trying to better my "Architects pair", and I figured out thanks to the Youtube video called "Architects "Gone With The Wind" raw multitracks [UNBOXING]" from URM Academy that they didn't seem to have a loud attack on their rythmic guitars (you can hear it at 9:21).

So I found a preset that I tweaked a bit and I tried to minimize the attack but didn't succeed. I tried the advices from the thread named Pick attack reduction (about swell and compression) but didn't work for me.

I tried pretty much every distortion types to see if it had to do with it, didn't seem to work (maybe I did it wrong). So yep, I'm asking you how could I reduce the attack before the mixing step, and how to sound like in the multitracks video, in a more general way.

I figured out Architects used an EVH 5150 III (not sure, but it was in their making of video for their album Lost Forever / Lost Together) and I think I'm quite close to their general tone. It seems that it's just this parameter that I can't fix. I might also be wrong and it's not about the attack.

I'm using a Schecter Omen Extreme 7 and a hard pick (Dunlop 1mm).
Here's my preset :

Attachments

• Rythm 2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 13
I haven't looked into the video you sent, nor do I know what your pick attack sounds like that you're trying to avoid. But your actual picking technique (angle, tilt, material and shape of pick, etc) can have a big effect on, well, the sound the pick makes when it hits the string. Some others might have suggestions, but don't forget playing technique itself when you're getting into some of these aspects of tone.

Angling the pick \ from top of the bridge to bottom of the neck reduces the attack of the pick.
If you're already doing that, I'd try lowering the Input Dynamics on the Amp Block or the Dyamnics Processor in the compressor block to reduce the attack.

I don't like to use a compressor except for Clean tones.
I would use a Parametric EQ and search for the 2 nasty Mid Frequency Spots (first is slightly above 2khz and has quite influence on your pick attack / second is somewhere between 3khz and 4 khz).
After you found the particular spot, crank the Q and put the gain to about -3db

Leon Todd explains this very well in the following video:

Hi everyone,

So following this thread I made a few days ago, I've been spending these last days working on my sound and I've been getting closer with the rythmic guitars thanks to your advices.

I talked about Gojira last time, but with some time I figured out that the best I could get would be from a mix between the sound of Gojira's rythmic guitars and Architects', by having one pair of each one. I mean I don't want to sound exactly like them, but let's say that I want to try the combination of death metal and djenty tones, as I like them both, and I want to start from these two bands' tones.

So now I'm trying to better my "Architects pair", and I figured out thanks to the Youtube video called "Architects "Gone With The Wind" raw multitracks [UNBOXING]" from URM Academy that they didn't seem to have a loud attack on their rythmic guitars (you can hear it at 9:21).

So I found a preset that I tweaked a bit and I tried to minimize the attack but didn't succeed. I tried the advices from the thread named Pick attack reduction (about swell and compression) but didn't work for me.

I tried pretty much every distortion types to see if it had to do with it, didn't seem to work (maybe I did it wrong). So yep, I'm asking you how could I reduce the attack before the mixing step, and how to sound like in the multitracks video, in a more general way.

I figured out Architects used an EVH 5150 III (not sure, but it was in their making of video for their album Lost Forever / Lost Together) and I think I'm quite close to their general tone. It seems that it's just this parameter that I can't fix. I might also be wrong and it's not about the attack.

I'm using a Schecter Omen Extreme 7 and a hard pick (Dunlop 1mm).
Here's my preset :

I use a 3mm pick......that's not the problem ;)

Hey ! So after a few EQ tweaking it worked a bit better, thank you for your answers.

And I'm still trying to figure out how it's possible to play with a 6mm pick to be honest :tearsofjoy:

Back
Top Bottom