Building presets with mic or without?

frankiev

Experienced
Probably a stupid question but Im a bit confused regarding when to use a mic on the speaker. Is it better for the "amp in the room" to use only a speaker ? Bascially when do you guys use a mic and when do you use only a speaker

I think an amp in the room is easier to achieve without a mic but with a mix of near and far field cabs.
Scott P has written extensively on this and my use agrees with his take FWIW.

I always start without the mic sim. Then I scroll through them all until something I like jumps out at me. If something's sounds too thin I go for the U87.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Something worth noting is that in v6 im finding more uses for a lot of the mic sims.... the top end of the amp models sound more "right" to me in general and because of that the mic sims i never liked before can sound great now. Good job Cliff/Fractal!

Try it both ways. Basically it's an amp and cab and there are a load of options with just that! Once I settle on those two, I'll normally scroll through the mics just to see if it adds of takes away from the tone I am searching for, and use or don't use accordingly. I am trying to find a better way of keeping track of this process so my results will be a bit more repeatable.

Back to your question, though, I would say it is always worth trying mics just to see what they contribute. There's a lot of variation in tone just swapping mics, or taking them away. Follow that ear.

Back
Top Bottom