Building presets - Best way to get uniform output levels?

Or don't use scenes - I don't see an advantage for my setup.
We don't need to discuss the usage of scenes, do we? Scenes have been proven useful for a lot of people. If you don't need the gapless switching, then yes, you don't need them. But there are situations where gapless switching is definitely useful. Also, it allows to get rid of the spillover setting, as all delays will naturally spill over when changing scenes. Also it simplifies the usage of the looper.

I get what you're saying, but I don't see that it'd be a huge problem if you set those two amps to the correct ratio to begin. My thought with the Vol Inc/Dec is that I'm going to zero in on everything as much as I can (with Output at 0dB) during practice, so my adjustments won't need to be that dramatic. Actually, the more I think about it, I'll ballpark on my own, like I always have. Then when I'm practicing, I'll use Vol Inc/Dec to get them right in the mix. Then, when the band is gone, I'll use the out level in the amp block to match the main out level (with my ears). That should get me pretty close, and save time in practice.
Aah, the typical situation of the guitarist being the first to arrive at and the last to leave the rehearsal room... :/
No really, what you mention is probably the best way to go. I just wanted to make clear that using scene volume increment/decrement is still not the cure-all of leveling presets. Leveling out the amp levels is. Too bad that there's no amp level inc/dec CC.

We don't need to discuss the usage of scenes, do we? Scenes have been proven useful for a lot of people. If you don't need the gapless switching, then yes, you don't need them. But there are situations where gapless switching is definitely useful. Also, it allows to get rid of the spillover setting, as all delays will naturally spill over when changing scenes. Also it simplifies the usage of the looper.
Scenes aren't the only way to deal with those aspects :)

Aah, the typical situation of the guitarist being the first to arrive at and the last to leave the rehearsal room... :/
No really, what you mention is probably the best way to go. I just wanted to make clear that using scene volume increment/decrement is still not the cure-all of leveling presets. Leveling out the amp levels is. Too bad that there's no amp level inc/dec CC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Scenes are really useful. Just that they don't present an advantage to my setup (I only use the MFC live and not to record, so I don't perceive any gaps in the mix. I don't use the looper. I don't like spillover.). And yes, I'm usually the first to get there and the last to leave :) But, then again, it is my studio.

Here's a question: if I go through the level-setting algorithm that I stated above (rough guess on my own, level with Vol Inc/Dec with the band at near live volume, attempt to get the same level with the amp block output while zeroing out the master output), will a dB of master output change equal a dB of amp block output change - with all other blocks maintained at the same output before and after? That's would make it sooooo easy. If I got to the point where I liked the mix with the band after having used the Vol Inc/Dec (I'd save the scene as-is on the mixer, which has flying faders so I'd know it was the same later), then was able to simply go and change the amp block output by the exact same amount that I changed the master output (and then zero'd out the master)? That would be the be-all/end-all of level setting. Please tell me (but only if it's true ;) ) that it will work that way.

will a dB of master output change equal a dB of amp block output change - with all other blocks maintained at the same output before and after?

Yes, as long as you don't have any nonlinear things like drive or compression after amp. Ducked delays would also be affected. Then you might want to adjust level later in the chain. Or with compression & ducking, you could just adjust threshold by the same amount as amp level.

Yes, as long as you don't have any nonlinear things like drive or compression after amp. Ducked delays would also be affected. Then you might want to adjust level later in the chain. Or with compression & ducking, you could just adjust threshold by the same amount as amp level.

Excellent! I was going through the different blocks in my head and trying to think if there are any other non linear blocks that might affect this? I can't think of any.

Back
Top Bottom