Building my first Tele (Warmoth)

Actually thinking about building another warmoth build. Did the Tele deluxe last time, thinking about doing a single hum, hardtail strat this time.

Now, looking for Tuners.
I would like locking tuners.
Is there a short set where I could avoid having to install the string tree?
Thanks.

Now, looking for Tuners.
Thanks.
Just search for "staggered locking tuners".

I recently installed some Ratio staggered tuners as they are a direct drop in for 2-pin mounted tuners. They also include mounting plates for more traditional mounting.

Now, looking for Tuners.
Thanks.
I have a set of Kluson Revolutions staggered on a Tele and have been more than pleased with them. They aren't locking so I can't speak to how well Kluson's locking design functions. As far as the need for a string tree, the guitar already had a string tree for the E and B strings which I left on. I usually add another string tree for the G and D strings on strats and teles but haven't felt the need with the Klusons.

I also have a set of Sperzel staggered (non-locking) on another tele and their E/B and G/D string posts are shorter than the Klusons. No issues using these tuners without string trees on a Fender style headstock.

Regarding string trees, I like having the ability to adjust their height like the vintage butterfly style. Graph Tech makes some that I have on another guitar and like them as well.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...h-pt-7004-00-black-tusq-xl-sleek-string-trees. I

It's the locking on the plain strings that fails. The metal is soft enough to imprint the plain string and not grip it over time, same problem on the other two I mention . Others work ok but the Gotoh are just better made and never give issues . I would not use the self locking variety though only the traditional wheel back type.

It's the locking on the plain strings that fails. The metal is soft enough to imprint the plain string and not grip it over time, same problem on the other two I mention . Others work ok but the Gotoh are just better made and never give issues . I would not use the self locking variety though only the traditional wheel back type.
Those are the Gotoh SGS510Z magnum ones you mentioned?

Agreed on the wheel lock vs self-locking. Gotoh tuners are clearly in the top 3 best tuners on the market today IMO: Kluson, Gotoh, Schaller. My Ibanez RGDIR6M came stock with Gotoh SG381 MGTs (staggered) and they are great feeling tuners. Don't know how well they would do without string trees on a Fender neck but their height is comparable to the Sperzels. Sperzels are nice and have long been known for being great locking tuners but their tuning mechanism can feel a bit clunky in my experience.

Those are the Gotoh SGS510Z magnum ones you mentioned?
Not only but all the ones without the lock wheel on the back. They work but no way as convenient and unless you tighten them down with a coin as well the string keeps going flat until they are tight enough.

These are built buy an OEM Korean company with a big margin. Not even close to the engineering quality of Gotoh, even the cheapest.
I haven't had any issues with mine... But I only have 1 set.

They hold tune well, have no "slop" and the whole ratio concept is pretty cool.

They are definitely not "cheap" from a cost perspective.

I have put sperzels trim lock on two builds : a strat with a trem and a tele with a gotoh fixed bridge. No issue after several years, they work well and are staggered so no string tree needed.

Back
Top Bottom