Building Mayer tones?

so I know that this has been talked about before in many other threads so I don’t want to be repetitive. But considering recent videos of John Mayer using an Axe FX III I thought we could get this thread going again.

I’m not so much interested in patches themselves since everyone’s gear is a little different but more so how you would go about building the tones on the Axe; compression, amps, cabs, parameters, effects and such.

Particularly the legendary bold clean sounds from the Continuum album. Any thoughts would be awesome

Cheers!

The guitar plays an incredibly important part here. You just can't get there without a Strat setup with similar sounding pickups to what Mayer uses. Having chased the tones with and without a guitar that matches what he uses, I can say the guitar put me closer than any IR or amp block tweaking ever put me.

Silver Sky > ODS-100 Ford PAB > Any 2 IRs that mix up AlNiCo golds and G12H30s and you're so close it's like being there.

The guitar plays an incredibly important part here. You just can't get there without a Strat setup with similar sounding pickups to what Mayer uses. Having chased the tones with and without a guitar that matches what he uses, I can say the guitar put me closer than any IR or amp block tweaking ever put me.

Silver Sky > ODS-100 Ford PAB > Any 2 IRs that mix up AlNiCo golds and G12H30s and you're so close it's like being there.
That silver sky just gets better, don’t it?...

That silver sky just gets better, don’t it?...
This has quickly become a from-my-cold-dead-hands guitar.

Try it paired with @austinbuddy's Dumbles - Ford preset from the Naked Amp pack -- easy Mayer tones all day long.

Also, re:Instagram pic -- that was not the Dumble he had on stage this weekend at Shoreline. It was a black tolex ODS and an oversized 1x12. His tones were delicious all weekend long. And methinks that has more to do with the player than anything else. :D

Thanks for the IR tip. That Silver Sky is beautiful! I don’t have that guitar but I do have a Strat setup with some 58’ era pickups. I’ll definitely try out some things and let you know!

Back
Top Bottom