Building an expensive modeler is easy, they say

Boss released the Waza Air headphones that do the room sim and the tracking. I’ve never tried them though.
speaking of plexi59's idea of bedroom practice, I'd like a solution that takes into account my head shape, where the guitar amp sits in space relative to me and adjusts the sound as i move and turn my head so it sounds more real when wearing headphones

$400 but great reviews on Sweetwater. Intriguing, I’ll have to check this out. I do wish this wasn’t “air” though. I’d rather clip a gyro sensor to my existing headphones.

That’s interesting. Has anyone tried this? Looks like they have a device to clip onto the headphones to track the position. This could actually work - there’s really nothing impossible about it.

I've tried the one which simulates an Abbey Road studio but without the head-tracking device, I manually turned around in the virtual room.
It's pretty convincing in giving a sense of space and cool to listen to 5.1 music on headphones. It might work also to give an "amp in the room" feel while playing, I haven't tried that.
But I wouldn't rely on that to do some serious mixing or mastering.

That’s interesting. Has anyone tried this? Looks like they have a device to clip onto the headphones to track the position. This could actually work - there’s really nothing impossible about it.
I have the Waves NX Head Tracker on my Beyerdynamic 880 Pro Headphones. I purchased the bundle w/the Abbey Roads Studio 3 collection ($129 for the bundle). It tracks your head movement for stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 surround. Also, it allows you to listen/mix to near, mid, or far field simulations. Does a great job for the money!

It is a plugin, so, I had to run it in a DAW. Also, it does only support specific headphones, as they only offer EQ correction for a dozen or so headphones.

One of those sorta works things, as it's unnatural unless you compensate for your own individual HRTF and headphone-pinnae transfer function. A product called Realiser A16 actually seems to do it right, but it's expensive and laborious. You need to borrow a good listening room, put measurement microphones in your ear, and take IRs with speakers then take IRs with headphones. Then the $4k DSP machine does its thing to head track and compensate to give a virtual space.

I don’t need perfect though. “Doesn’t make me want to stab myself in the ears after an hour” level of performance would be a good start.

I don’t need perfect though. “Doesn’t make me want to stab myself in the ears after an hour” level of performance would be a good start.
Early reflection stuff from FAS cab or reverb block does that for me. Depending on the HRTF these generic head tracking room sims use, it might be a bad match for your ears and make it worse, one of those uncanny valley type things.

I really really really don't understand the obsession with amp in the room feel. One moment everybody is clamoring to sound like their favorite guitarist X on classic album Y, even though you're hearing a miked amp going through endless layers of studio trickery and magic in a full mix. Then they get that sound from our favorite black box and then it's yeah, but I want it to sound like an amp in the room too.

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:^..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(...."~,........"~,....................,:`......../
..........{..$;......"=,......."-,.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~......."=-.......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.~,......"~.,.........................}............../
............(....=-,,...............................(......;_,,-"
............/.~,......-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,..........}.>-....................................|..............`=~-,
.....=~-,__......,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................:,,.........................................__
.....................................=-,...................,%>--==``
...................................................,-%.......`

Well, I am working for the company, that patents has expired few years ago, but 30 years of being ahead - we have to give up on simple applications, but no one can compete in the real ones... That is I love in Fractal - not the cheapest, but fully supported and client friendy. BTW. filtaration of 1 micrometer solid parts is easy they say... But who else can do it? In the industrial scale?...

LOL What a sham. BEIT-800. Hysterical.

People will be dumb enough to buy it though. Same people that are dumbe enough to buy this cheap Amazon chinese motorcycle and expect it to be good (it's not): X-PRO 125cc Motorcycle Adult Gas Motorcycle Dirt Motorcycle Street Bike Motorcycle Bike Full Assembeld(Red) Visit the X-PRO Store

Sure some people will buy it for a goof or to do a YouTube video about it, but there's a lot of suckers out there. And this company will reference "fractal" and a bunch of other keywords to make it bubble up to the top of a web search.

I really really really don't understand the obsession with amp in the room feel.
It's just for comfort when practicing in headphones, which with my wife's "migraines" I find myself doing a lot recently. Hearing so keen, she can "hear" bedroom-volume monitors through two floors of the house while on the opposite end of it. I suspect migraines would go away if a young, good looking female neighbor moved in next door, so maybe that's the thing to really aim for here. :tearsofjoy:

Im a little slow but are we talking about cheap knock offs for guitar modeling? If so remember what I have always said since I was 18 yo back in 1628 "You always get what you pay for" $50 modeler will sound like its $50.00 (my apologies for international monetary sensitive individual's) please substitute $ for your monetary symbol

It's just for comfort when practicing in headphones, which with my wife's "migraines" I find myself doing a lot recently. Hearing so keen, she can "hear" bedroom-volume monitors through two floors of the house while on the opposite end of it.
I use headphones too. I live in an apartbuilding so if I want to rock late at night without angry neighbors at my door, being the considerate neighbor that I am, headphones are the best solution. Never EVER have I felt the need that when I change position the sound should change as well. I want it to change the same wherever I am.

I suspect migraines would go away if a young, good looking female neighbor moved in next door, so maybe that's the thing to really aim for here. :tearsofjoy:

Yeah, as the pickup artists say, dread game does wonders for a woman's behavior towards you. Mind you, they also say you can't keep that up forever though.

Back
Top Bottom