Build your own midi controller based on BJ Devices open hardware platform

BJ Devices TB-12 and TB-5 midi controllers is now open for all developers to create alternative firmware!
Many peoples try to build midi contollers based on arduino or other platform, but the only problem is a make housing and reliable PCB without a tangle of wires. So now you have strong metal case with 12 or 5 reliable buttons, LCD screen, MIDI in, MIDI out connectors, 2 expression pedal connections, 2 relays output with total 4 relay.
We now start to develop open source library to make firmware creation easily. You just need to install free Atmel Studio, dowload library from github , implement and compile your own firmware and upload it to your TB-12(5) via chip45boot2 bootlader GUI https://www.chip45.com/avr_bootloader_atmega_xmega_chip45boot2.php

You can return to default firmware any time, last firmware version is always available on our website

First version of library is available on github https://github.com/BurenkovS/bjdevlib
And of course you are always welcomed to improve library and send pull request!

You can find out wiring diagram: for tb-12 http://bjdevices.com/manuals/tb12_diagram.pdf
for tb-5 http://bjdevices.com/manuals/tb5_diagram.pdf

See README.md for more details
GPI9GjhUItE.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have any sample code? Not looking for production code, just something basic showing how to manage I/O with footswitches, LCD, pedals, LEDs & MIDI. Would help me jump in faster.

I have plenty of experience with the old Basic Stamp processors, but sadly, nothing else.

Does a firmware targeted at the AXE-FX allready exists ? or it is to be programmed with the library you provide ?

Do you have any sample code? Not looking for production code, just something basic showing how to manage I/O with footswitches, LCD, pedals, LEDs & MIDI. Would help me jump in faster.

I have plenty of experience with the old Basic Stamp processors, but sadly, nothing else.
Yes, basic example is in "example" folder. It shows how to get buttons push event, how to set LEDs, LCD, send and receive midi messages.
Note it is first library version, so some bugs is possible

Last edited:
Some updates (but it most for KPA users) :
- KPA support was added to library. I have added all available parameters address, and implement a set of functions to get access to parameters address and values. Example demonstrate how to initialize bidirectional communication with KPA, get rig and performance names, IA states, and how to send change requests to KPA.

- Simple logger was added. Controller have usb port, which is USB-COM interface, and it is determined by the operating system as COM port, so you able to send debug messages to PC terminal and working with MIDI simultaneously. Sometimes it helps in debugging.

- Some bugs fixed also. Special thanks to GM Arts for found bug in LCD library and provide new library for this.

Off topic, but is the TB12 sold with blue and Green colored screens or can the color of the screen be changed in the settings? Mine has blue screen.

The controller BTW is awesome. I've had it over a year now.

Off topic, but is the TB12 sold with blue and Green colored screens or can the color of the screen be changed in the settings? Mine has blue screen.

The controller BTW is awesome. I've had it over a year now.
Now we sell only with blue screen. We used green screens long time ago

Reactions: DTS
And many thanks back to Sergey for his fantastic support.

Anyone who writes software knows that it's like art. It's never really finished :)

My current version includes support for the Axe-FX tuner and I have a couple of other ideas I'm working on, then I'll make that publicly available on the same WIKI. As always, feedback is welcome.

Thank you Sergei and GM Arts! I will flash the fw 1.5 for a test tomorrow. It looked very simple and effective for my use.

Hi guys - I haven't released the new firmware yet - I'll be doing final testing over the weekend. The editor will take longer, or maybe I'll include it in beta form. As they say around here, it will be ready soon.

Will I need to flash a eeprom? I'm on firmware 2.3 atm. If so, what eeprom file I need?

Will I need to flash a eeprom? I'm on firmware 2.3 atm. If so, what eeprom file I need?
No any common parts in GM Arts firmware and factory firmware, so you definitely should update eeprom. I cannot see default eeprom file in GM Arts firmware, so I think it would be better to wait PC eeprom editor release, which will generate eeprom file

Back
Top Bottom