Build quality of the current Gibson guitars?

I have three Gibsons: 2014 Les Paul Traditional, a 2017 ES335 '63 from the last year of the Memphis plant, and 2019 SG '61...they are all wonderful models similar to the ones I played in the 60's. In the '60's you could go into a music store and see 4-5 of the same model and only find one that would hit the sweet spot! Fortunately, I have a great rep at Sweetwater and all three of these guitars were inspected by them. I believe a lot of this depends on the dealer you use and their staff...(I did customize some of the instruments, ex. Tuners, as we did back in the day)
I have never seen a single Gibson at any price that would pass basic QC at Collings. Vintage ones are worse in this respect but there are a lot that sound amazing and have the history so we put up with it.

I have never seen a single Gibson at any price that would pass basic QC at Collings. Vintage ones are worse in this respect but there are a lot that sound amazing and have the history so we put up with it.

This is also why Collings start at Gibson CS prices :)

Any experiences with the newer acoustics in the Generation series?

The G-Writer looks intriguing to me, but the local stores don't have it in stock yet, and I'd definitely want to try it beforehand. Initial reviews seem pretty positive though and I like that they're built in Montana.

In 2006 I had cash to buy a Les Paul. Wanted one ever since I saw one. At the time I was living between San Diego and LA. I visited many guitar shops and played many LPs. Most of them had finish flaws where the neck met the body. Just a lack of attention to detail. This was the Standard range of LPs not custom shop etc. It turned me off to the Gibson’s and I wound up with a PRS which is still my best guitar. Still want a P90 Goldtop though. Maybe someday.

In 2006 I had cash to buy a Les Paul. Wanted one ever since I saw one. At the time I was living between San Diego and LA. I visited many guitar shops and played many LPs. Most of them had finish flaws where the neck met the body. Just a lack of attention to detail. This was the Standard range of LPs not custom shop etc. It turned me off to the Gibson’s and I wound up with a PRS which is still my best guitar. Still want a P90 Goldtop though. Maybe someday.
I had several Les Paul Customs over the years because I loved the “Black Beauty” tuxedo look. One that I'd bought new a year or two before had a neck that, even with the truss rod totally relaxed, kept bending backwards and Gibson refused to fix it. I had it heated and reset by a shop out of my own pocket, and it still continued. I lost all trust in them at that point.

I have five PRS now, have never had a problem with them and will only buy them. I’d consider a Collings, or a custom or small builder, but I’ll never buy a Gibson again.

Last edited:
I know what you mean but there are some amazing tones to be had from a high end Les Paul that nothing else can quite copy. Assuming the headstock stays on long enough.:tearsofjoy:
View attachment 89582
Thats a design choice for you.
I had high hopes that they would adopt the Apex on all models except Historics. It is a super rugged design that is difficult to intentionally break.

LP do have great tone but that's about it. I've played a few customs, traditionals, and studios over the years that belonged to other people......not a single one would stay in tune unless treated like a sore Richard and lubed up like a sloppy 😹... and even then only half the time. Nothing like the rock solid stability of an edge on a MIJ RG. Maybe one with a floyd would work for my playing style IDK. As far as their QC goes....it's infamously hit or miss. Has been for decades. Definitely don't want one built on a Monday or a Friday. I'm sure they won't be in short supply for their blemo shop for years to come.

Last edited:

GTP90's are indeed fun. Standard 50's has a nice neck if you like PRS SC's.

LP do have great tone but that's about it. I've played a few customs, traditionals, and studios over the years that belonged to other people......not a single one would stay in tune unless treated like a sore Richard and lubed up like a sloppy 😹... and even then only half the time. Nothing like the rock solid stability of an edge on a MIJ RG. Maybe one with a floyd would work for my playing style IDK. As far as their QC goes....it's infamously hit or miss. Has been for decades. Definitely don't want one built on a Monday or a Friday. I'm sure they won't be in short supply for their blemo shop for years to come.

Another car crash from George.

Another car crash from George.
You hear his LP has gone completely out of tune after he played the shit out of it. Then he tries to his ass off to play thru it. His style for sure requires stable tuning. Why on earth he continues to use a LP is beyond me. Lol

You hear his LP has gone completely out of tune after he played the shit out of it. Then he tries to his ass off to play thru it. His style for sure requires stable tuning. Why on earth he continues to use a LP is beyond me. Lol
I can make any LP stay in tune like a Floyd. I think George is the car crash here.

Back
Top Bottom