BUG: Tap Tempo switch causes all switches to go blank

moo cow

Inspired
I have an external switch set up for tap tempo/tuner. It works as it should.
When I'm in the Scene layout, if I use the external switch for tap tempo and then use the bottom right switch on the FC-12 (which is by default also tap tempo) it will make all the LCD screens go white and blank.
The main screen still functions as it should even while the switches are "whited out".
I can recreate it over and over.

Rebooting the FC12 doesn't fix it.
Rebooting the AXE III does.

Any idea? Am I only allowed to use one designated tap tempo switch?

I'm on Axe firmware 6.04
FC12 firmware 1.09
USB 1.08

Thanks for any help.

Hey Chris, Yep still happens even with the external switch unplugged.
On thing a noticed while testing your question was that the main screen says "Layout 6" for only about a second and then reverts back to the preset name.

I also discovered that once all the screens go blank, if I press the two right buttons to get back to the master layout screen then everything comes back to normal with an Axe reboot. But that
If you unplug that external switch as a test, then use the onboard, does the problem still happen?

Not sure exactly how to do that? Can you guide me through the best way?
Thanks
  1. Open FractalBot
  2. Go to Receive Mode (button near the top of the window)
  3. Select Axe-Fx III as your device
  4. Choose where to save the backup
  5. Click Begin
  6. Click "Deselect All"
  7. Click "System + Global Blocks + FC"
  8. Click Ok.

I see what's happening and it's somehow triggering MLM and immediately going to layout 6 (per-preset functions and all are empty by default). I'm currently reworking this because it completely broke after I fixed something else.
Thanks for the effort Bryant!

Until it’s fixed, can you enlighten us as to things to either check or avoid?
The bug causes the switch that is pressed after a stand-in switch to execute from the layout the stand-in switch was tied to. I'm not sure there really is a great work around. You can avoid stand-ins for a brief time or keep a no-op switch in your layouts and in the layout you use for stand-in switches (as the same switch number). That eats up a lot of switches, however.

This must be what is going on with mine. I have the FC6 with the SIS's assigned under the Preset layout so the next press after my stand in tap tempo changes the preset.

The bug causes the switch that is pressed after a stand-in switch to execute from the layout the stand-in switch was tied to. I'm not sure there really is a great work around. You can avoid stand-ins for a brief time or keep a no-op switch in your layouts and in the layout you use for stand-in switches (as the same switch number). That eats up a lot of switches, however.

I have a Layout switch on stand-in that is doing this, also. Switch layout via the stand-in, and a subseqent FC switch changes to a different layout corresponding with that switch in layout 9.

Thought I was imagining it the first couple times it happened....

Last edited:
I have a Layout switch on stand-in that is doing this, also. Switch layout via the stand-in, and a subseqent FC switch changes to a different layout corresponding with that switch in layout 9.

Thought I was imagining it the first couple times it happened....
Haha. Imagine stepping on the switch to activate the boost to go into a screaming solo and the preset changes to a totally clean amp. I did that a couple of times and was scratching my head.

Luckily for me, I am primarily using Layout #1, and my switch #1 has [TapTempo/HoldFuncs] on it, so there's no real change if I hit that switch, and it releases it from the Layout #9 weirdness caused by using my stand-in switches. :)

Aha, I just got bit by this one on the FC6. Set up an external stand-in switch, headed out to practice, and had no display! The switches still functioned but I was blind tapping them l).

Rebooting the Axe-Fx III isn't resetting it for me however. I'll try pulling out the stand-in switch assignment and hopefully it will come back.

Update: That fixed it - once I removed the stand-in assignment, we're back to normal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom