Bug? Strange rumble/noise....

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
This noise appears, out of nowhere from time time. Doesn't matter the preset, and it only happens with Drive 2 channels A or B. If I have edit open, choose channel C or D gets rid of it when I go back to A or B. Live, the only way is to power cycle. It does it across presets all from the same template, with the same blocks. That being said, two presets will not exhibit the same behavior. I can be on one preset with and Drive 2 won't make the noise, while the next preset will. I can bounce back and forth between them and the behavior persists until I do the aforementioned things. Included is the preset and a video that tried to capture it...was late at night and couldn't really crank it.

Old preset removed and new one with no global blocks added

Attachments

• My Worship Template copy NGB.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
uses custom cabs, will have to add something appropriate, AC20 stock mix will be close enough, though a bit dark.

The other night on 7.01 I was playing through headphones and I heard what I thought was a jet engine or something - it freaked me out and I took off the phones to see if it was real. No, it was from the Axe but then went away. There was no drive enabled on the preset, and I couldn't replicate that rumble.

I had this happen previously on an older firmware, used to happen somewhat regularly. I haven't been able to play much recently, and I thought it went away with firmware updates, but I see you're on 7.00 so maybe not...

Did you contact support?

will upload without global blocks in a bit.

also, this does this on a friends III using the same template...so it's something in the template/preset, not in the hardware.

I loaded your preset into 7.00 (will try 7.02b later). There was no sound due to your cabs pointing to user cabs (which for me are mostly empty) but easily fixed using factory cabs.

Unfortunately I can't reproduce the roar with any of the drives on.

Last edited:
yes, as I said, it's intermittent. I can load the same preset 100 times in a row, sometimes it will do it 1 out of 100 times, sometimes 15 of 100, sometimes never. There's no rhyme or reason, just that it happens, and in multiple venues connected to different power sources, etc.

Yeah just thought I would try because knowing at least one other unit has the issue can help. I'll try it again every now and then.

The bug I reported doesn't seem to be reproducible either. :confused:

I loaded your preset and didn’t seem to get the rumble you experienced, except for one time that I had two of the drives on at the same time. I don’t expect that was by your design, but none of the drives or chorus engaged on any of the five named scenes, so I started playing around some. I did notice the preset I downloaded is bumping up against the overload “Warning” of 85% usage. Yeah know you’ve been around these parts for a long time too, mainly mentioning the usage to confirm this is representative of your original preset. Best of luck finding the issue! Lee

yes, as I said, it's intermittent. I can load the same preset 100 times in a row, sometimes it will do it 1 out of 100 times, sometimes 15 of 100, sometimes never. There's no rhyme or reason, just that it happens, and in multiple venues connected to different power sources, etc.
I’ve not tried your preset, but had the same experience with the rumble. In my case, I found it didn’t happen right away, but if I left my Axe on that preset with Drive 2 engaged, then leave it for an hour or so the sound gradually builds up. First time I noticed it we were having supper downstairs and we thought aliens were attacking or something weird!
At first I figured it was caused by some sort of feedback loop until noticed if I switched the drive off it went away, but then switching the drive back on the sound came back immediately (this is after it has built up over time). Very odd.
I didn’t report it cos when I play live I’m always switching presets so I don’t give it long enough to reproduce itself, this only happens at home when I leave it engaged for a while.

Perhaps later I'll load up and just keep loading a preset until it happens. It happened to me again yesterday during one of our services and I couldn't do anything but try to hide it until I could power cycle.

@jlynnb1 - I just tried your preset on my III and couldn’t duplicate the issue. I did, however, have a massive slowdown with AxeEdit once I loaded it - to the point where it was almost unusable.

What I did see, possibly of relevance, was that the preset was pushing 85% CPU without playing a note. Gotta think that high CPU could be a culprit in your case. If I’m not mistaken - drive blocks can use even more CPU once you start playing. Perhaps that could account for some amount of the intermittent behavior.

Also interesting was what happened when I tried switching away from that preset and to one of my own. When I did that, I had to quickly kill Out1 volume because I got a big roaring (?) noise as soon as I switched away from it (using AxeEdit). Definitely not an issue with my preset - use it all the time and I’m barely hitting 60% CPU on it. I disconnected from the computer and didn’t hear that again when switching from the front panel.

One last thing - I remembered seeing a post about global AC Line Frequency settings a little bit ago. I’ve never touched that setting so I was surprised to see it set at 50Hz instead of 60Hz on my III. It’s never caused an issue for me during a service but that might be something else to check on your device.

Best of luck troubleshooting this!

Back
Top Bottom