BUG: Static noise in FW 1.17

It’s probably not the problem....but double check the noise gate isn’t maybe causing some noise

Nailed it!!! :)

As soon as I read your post, it made me remember an issue I was going to report but forgot about. It's issues with the intelligent gate and the Global Gate threshold. I use the classic gate in my Axe-Fx II because the intelligent gate always made strange noises on the tails of notes and the same thing happens in the Axe-Fx III.

@FractalAudio

The issue with the Axe-Fx III is that when you change the Global gate threshold, you can't hear the change until you exit the menu and if you're using the intelligent gate, the change won't be heard until you go into the Layout and the IN block. You don't have to make any changes in the IN block, you just have to go into it and the strange noise goes away.

Here's how to reproduce the noise issue:
* Select Factory Preset 04 Deluxe Verb or 06 A-Class 15 or any clean to low gain amp that has the Intelligent gate in the IN Block
* Turn up the global gate threshold all the way
* Play guitar and you won't hear any change
* Press HOME and play guitar and now you'll hear the noise
* Set the global gate threshold to 0
* Play guitar and you won't hear any change and the noise will still be there
* Press HOME and play guitar and you'll still hear the noise
* Go into Layout > Select IN Block > Press EDIT
* Play guitar and noise is gone

Nailed it!!! :)

As soon as I read your post, it made me remember an issue I was going to report but forgot about. It's issues with the intelligent gate and the Global Gate threshold. I use the classic gate in my Axe-Fx II because the intelligent gate always made strange noises on the tails of notes and the same thing happens in the Axe-Fx III.

@FractalAudio

The issue with the Axe-Fx III is that when you change the Global gate threshold, you can't hear the change until you exit the menu and if you're using the intelligent gate, the change won't be heard until you go into the Layout and the IN block. You don't have to make any changes in the IN block, you just have to go into it and the strange noise goes away.

Here's how to reproduce the noise issue:
* Select Factory Preset 04 Deluxe Verb or 06 A-Class 15 or any clean to low gain amp that has the Intelligent gate in the IN Block
* Turn up the global gate threshold all the way
* Play guitar and you won't hear any change
* Press HOME and play guitar and now you'll hear the noise
* Set the global gate threshold to 0
* Play guitar and you won't hear any change and the noise will still be there
* Press HOME and play guitar and you'll still hear the noise
* Go into Layout > Select IN Block > Press EDIT
* Play guitar and noise is gone
Thanks for the detailed steps. I will fix this today.

The other "problem" here is that those gate settings are bad. This is our fault. We should update those presets to fix the gate settings. It is not recommend to have attack and release at minimum simultaneously. This causes "chatter" in the detector (as a real analog detector would).

Well I’m glad I said something and could help!

I had a patch making some background static and after going through everything, and all my outboard gear attached, the last thing I checked was the noise gate because I never really use it and sure enough it was on and causing the noise. At first I thought it was a loose connection or something with my pickups as well.

The other "problem" here is that those gate settings are bad. This is our fault. We should update those presets to fix the gate settings. It is not recommend to have attack and release at minimum simultaneously. This causes "chatter" in the detector (as a real analog detector would).

That's not a big "problem" considering these are the best sounding factory presets I've ever played. Seriously, right off the bat, when I powered on my Axe-Fx III preset 1 sounded amazing! I played that preset for at list a half hour before even trying the next preset. I compared the presets to my Axe-Fx II just to make sure my ears weren't deceiving me because they have a tendency to do that with new gear. There are some magical IR's in the Axe-Fx III that make my presets come alive. Thank you Cliff and the FAS Team! :D

Back
Top Bottom