Bug(maybe): Weird Occurrence When Using External OD Pedal

The Raven

Inspired
Hello everyone,

I"m having a bit of a strange issue whenever I use an external overdrive pedal with my a few of the clean amp models (Shiver Clean and all SOLO Cleans just to name a few). When I use one of my OD pedals with these amps, regardless of running FRFR or running through a power amp and guitar cab, I can hear both the clean, non-overdriven sound mixed with the OD from the pedal, like there is some sort of weird, stereo-like setting in the patch that separates the wet from dry signal. If I use an internal overdrive, the problem is not present and there is no "extra" unaltered sound. I'm not sure whether or not this is a bug, a setting I need to adjust somewhere, or just an inherent quality of these amplifiers, and I am far too timid to be poking about settings and parameters when I don't fully understand the issue I am facing.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided

Are you going Guitar -> Pedal -> Axe FX II front input? If so, there's no real way the Axe can see anything but a dirty signal.

If you're using something crafty - a DI box, rear input, etc. there are always possibilities for 'sneak' circuits to come through. Seeing a mapping of how you get from source to speaker would be the best way to help.

I'm just going Guitar -> Pedal -> Axe FX II -> studio monitors via output 1 OR Guitar -> Pedal -> Axe FX II -> Matrix Gt1000fx->Mesa 4x12 via output 1, both of which only using the front input on the Axe.

Like I said, I can only hear this strange happening with some of the clean amp models, with the Shiver Clean and Solo Cleans being some examples. Fender amps, USA Clean, and other cleanish amps don't seem to have this weird stero-like sound. It's possible that it may be present with the more gain/overdrive laden amps as well, but its far more difficult to discern a boosted from unboosted distortion tone coming from one source (for me at least).

The sound is somewhat analogous to making the Shiver Clean patch with the drive pedal engaged and having an identical amp with the same settings included in the patch that goes around the drive pedal and into the cab. Since its only with certain amp models, I have no idea what could be happening.

I hate to ask, but is there a MIX control on the pedal? If so, it should be set to 100%.

Does this phenomenon also occur when you jack straight into an amp? Can you try another pedal?

I don't mind the questions. I've maxed out all knobs on all pedals and the problem persists regardless of setting so long as the OD comes from an external pedal. I've used a Pro Tone Dead Horse, a Maxon OD 9 pro +, and an Ibanez TS808 HW and i still get the noise. Swapped cables out for some spares i have laying around and the same thing happens.

What do you mean by plugging straight into an amp? I have a mesa dual rec, and when i plug the pedals into that i get no issue whatsoever, if thats what you mean. If you mean plug straight into the Axe and run the built in ODs i don't hear the phenomenon either, as it only occurs with my actual pedals.

I don't mind the questions. I've maxed out all knobs on all pedals and the problem persists regardless of setting so long as the OD comes from an external pedal. I've used a Pro Tone Dead Horse, a Maxon OD 9 pro +, and an Ibanez TS808 HW and i still get the noise. Swapped cables out for some spares i have laying around and the same thing happens.

What do you mean by plugging straight into an amp? I have a mesa dual rec, and when i plug the pedals into that i get no issue whatsoever, if thats what you mean. If you mean plug straight into the Axe and run the built in ODs i don't hear the phenomenon either, as it only occurs with my actual pedals.

Are you running two amps in your Axe FX preset signal chain? I have a preset template with Amp1 and Amp2 in parallel with each other and have a modifier linked to bypass of amp1 and linked to the amp2 bypass in inverse proportion to amp1. I do this, so I only have either amp1 tone, or amp2 tone, but never both at the same time. However, I noticed when I upgraded from 9.02 to 10, that the setting of "MUTE WHEN BYPASSED" was changed to "THRU" on some of my old presets, and so instead of having all my signal going through amp1 only, or through amp2 only, I could hear my un-amped- direct guitar signal mixed in with the amp. What's worse, is I visually checked my presets, and didn't actually check the Y-axis of the amp blocks, so I only thought I was checking thoroughly, but I would hear that mixture of clean guitar sometimes. It was then, that I thought actually flick each amp block and look at the bypass state for both X and Y and make sure they all were "MUTE".

Maybe you are using a gain pedal such as a "SPARKLE DRIVE" that is actually designed to always allow some straight tone to bypass the gain circuitry of the pedal itself?

At this point, I'm out of ideas. I have heard the same sort of thing once or twice, only to realize that I was also monitoring my DI BOX going into the DAW.

A note to Fractal Support would probably be the only other recommendation that I could make.

Create a new preset from scratch. Blank it out, add a line of Shunts.

Add a filter block, type Null and increase the level so it's loud enough to hear. Again, no amp or cab blocks, just the filter.

Guitar to external drive pedal to axe input. Now play with the pedal off. With the pedal volume all the way down, engage the pedal. It should be silent. Slowly bring up the pedal level.

Is the problem still there?

Create a new preset from scratch. Blank it out, add a line of Shunts.

Add a filter block, type Null and increase the level so it's loud enough to hear. Again, no amp or cab blocks, just the filter.

Guitar to external drive pedal to axe input. Now play with the pedal off. With the pedal volume all the way down, engage the pedal. It should be silent. Slowly bring up the pedal level.

Is the problem still there?

Did this with all 3 pedals and the problem is there but its really faint. The moment I add the Shiver Clean if Solo Clean amp sims, it become far more audible.

Also, I only have one amp in my patches, but I'm mainly fiddling with the default Shiver Clean patch if that helps, since rodzimguitar68 asked.

Back
Top Bottom