Bug: Layout Link for Tap Triggers for Hold

dscribellito

Inspired
As I was setting up my FC-6, I came across a bug that the layout link configured for tap also triggers for hold and even overrides any layout link configured for hold. The Axe-Fx III firmware is 3.01 and the FC-6 is 1.03.

As an example of the intended usage, the idea is that on the Presets layout (layout 1) tap selects the preset and automatically switches to Scenes (layout 2) but hold selects Effects (layout 3). However, what actually happens is that when the button is pressed and held the layout does switch to layout 3, but upon release the layout then switches to layout 2 - which is the layout link configured for tap on that button in the original layout (layout 1).

Note that this is just an example and the behavior is the same regardless of which layout is the target of layout link for tap or which layout is the target of layout select for hold.

Here is an example config:
Layout 1 Switch 6
Tap
- Category: Preset
- Function: Select in Bank
- Preset: 6
- Layout Link: FC#1 Layout 2
Hold
- Category: Layout
- Function: Select
- Layout: 3
- Layout Link: none

I even tried configuring a layout link for hold to go to layout 3, but the layout link for tap still eventually overrides it.

Hmm, I thought the Layout Link is an action that happens on the release of that switch. I didn’t think there was a “Tap Layout Link” vs “Hold Layout Link.”

So Tap and Hold both share the same “release”, which is your Layout Link function to Layout 2.

Might have to ask @BryantP

Hmm, I thought the Layout Link is an action that happens on the release of that switch. I didn’t think there was a “Tap Layout Link” vs “Hold Layout Link.”

So Tap and Hold both share the same “release”, which is your Layout Link function to Layout 2.

Might have to ask @BryantP

Right, found this info in the manual on page 38:

With Layout Links, any Tap or Hold function can serve double-duty to also change the layout on one or more of the FC Controllers in your rig.

Layout Links fire after the primary function they are assigned to, but their timing isn’t based on a delay. Instead, the Layout Link activates when the switch for its associated function is released.

It looks like that means the feature should work as I am trying to use it - plus the fact it can actually be configured that way. One more observation: if no Layout Link is configured for Tap but a Layout Link is configured for Hold, then the Layout Link for Hold does function correctly.

So as you point out, Layout Link does trigger on release of the switch. The bug is that Layout Link for Tap should have no effect when the timing of the switch press has identified the triggered function as Hold - given that there are separate Layout Link configurations for each.

The bug is that Layout Link for Tap should have no effect when the timing of the switch press has identified the triggered function as Hold - given that there are separate Layout Link configurations for each.

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, that would be a bug. I cannot reproduce this, however. I can't get a Tap layout link to fire on the up of a Hold.

If you don't mind sending me the preset you're working and your "System + Global Blocks + FC" backup, I'll take a look.

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, that would be a bug. I cannot reproduce this, however. I can't get a Tap layout link to fire on the up of a Hold.

If you don't mind sending me the preset you're working and your "System + Global Blocks + FC" backup, I'll take a look.

Thanks, Bryant - I'll get that to you tonight along with a video that demonstrates what I am seeing.

Dave

Run down of the issue:
  • Switch X is configured with a layout link action for Tap.
  • Switch X has a Hold Function of the Layout Category
  • When Switch X's Hold Function is executed, the layout link action for Tap was being triggered.
This should be fixed in the next release of the Axe-FX III firmware.

Thanks for all your help on this, @dscribellito!

Back
Top Bottom