Bug importing large preset?

IronSean

Power User
Hey everyone,
I just got my Axe FX III this week, and may have come across a bug. I'm on the 12.03 firmware it shipped with.

When I try and import this preset from Axe Change my CPU usage jumps to ~90%, and both the Axe and Axe Edit become unresponsive (as expected, at that level of CPU usage I assume the UI and Axe Edit communication threads aren't getting enough CPU time to run consistently.)

However, when I dig into the patch as it's been loaded, it seems it's only been partially loaded, with all the blocks and layout loaded but all the settings are 0. This includes amp type, amp settings, input level on the IN1 block, etc. And this seems to be part of the problem because all 4 cabs on both CAB blocks are set to Factory 1 Cab 1 and On, rather than muted. If I mute cabs 2-4 on both cab blocks I'm only around 70% CPU usage.

I haven't tested by making my own large preset and exporting then importing to confirm, but I have a guess what may be happening:

I suspect that when loading the Preset, all the blocks are loaded to the layout first. Then all the settings are loaded to those blocks next. So before the settings are loaded, the blocks aren't even at their "Default" value as defined in the system, but are instead in a completely uninitialized state. And the uninitialized state of the cab block is Factory 1 Cab 1, and On, for all four cabs. So when both cab blocks load in that state, the CPU usage jumps, the transfer from Axe Edit falters, and the patch gets stuck in this state with max CPU usage from 8 unmuted cabs, 59 bassman amps, and a dozen other effects at default values.

Am I way off base and there's something simple I'm missing? Is there a way to view and edit presets without loading them to the Axe FX III so I can confirm that preset file isn't corrupted/in an invalid state and double check what the block settings are to confirm those cab blocks aren't supposed to be loaded at a setting that eats all the CPU time?

Ah, I see. So likely this person uploaded it forgetting his global blocks wouldn't upload, and leading to around ~600 downloading a useless (to them) preset. Don't suppose you want to correct that @Megahertzz ?

Maybe Axe Change could use a rudimentary comments/rating system.

Anyway, thanks for the info M@!

Yup, sorry about that. Will reupload post haste. I really miss the ability to remove uploads from Axe Change.

Ah, I see. So likely this person uploaded it forgetting his global blocks wouldn't upload, and leading to around ~600 downloading a useless (to them) preset. Don't suppose you want to correct that @Megahertzz ?

Maybe Axe Change could use a rudimentary comments/rating system.

Anyway, thanks for the info M@!

Here's the latest rendition of the preset, no global blocks. I also found out how to delete old uploads from Axe Change.
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7805

Here's the latest rendition of the preset, no global blocks. I also found out how to delete old uploads from Axe Change.
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7805

Hey Megahertzz, I appreciate you doing this! The one I was having trouble with was actually your non-light version, with all the harmonizer and other blocks. Is there a chance you still have that one around? I was curious to see how you'd set up the different harmonies and sounds in particular.

Hey Megahertzz, I appreciate you doing this! The one I was having trouble with was actually your non-light version, with all the harmonizer and other blocks. Is there a chance you still have that one around? I was curious to see how you'd set up the different harmonies and sounds in particular.
Sure, I can do that, but the pitch blocks I use are included in the preset i posted. So far I'm only using Pitch 1 for the lead in Whiskey In The Jar, and Pitch 2 for the harmonies in Creeping Death, Fade To Black and Blackened. I'm trying to figure out how to use 2 pitch blocks to do the quadruple harmonies in the bridge One, but I think I'm missing a few music theory degrees to make that happen. I also use a 1/8th delay to simulate the overdubbed guitars on the solo for The Four Horsemen. That's pretty much it.

Here it is. Will probably be heavily modified the next few weeks. Got temporarily (I hope) laid off from work because off Covid-19, so I got plenty of time to tweak my presets.

If you have any questions or suggestions I'd love to hear it.

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7806

I'm glad the mistake was made or I wouldn't have come across it. I'll give it a shot when I'm reunited with my Axe III.

I'm trying to figure out how to use 2 pitch blocks to do the quadruple harmonies in the bridge One, but I think I'm missing a few music theory degrees to make that happen.

I'm guessing you might be looking at an inaccurate transcription. The original book and (many years later) Guitar World were both way off for that section. It's really just one rhythm part (likely triple-tracked) plus two octave parts.

X7bhJWN.png

If you play the higher part, dual harmony mode with a custom scale of E-G-B-C-D, key E, voice at -3 will generate the lower part, except for the unison B-C in measures 2 & 6, and the 6ths in measures 4 & 8. For unisons you can switch harmony value to 1. Switch back to -3 as the C is held so the harmony drops to G. In measures 4 & 8 you can use the same scale with key at Eb and harmony of -4. It may be easier to switch pitch block channels for a fixed -8 semitone shift.

Custom shift mode and some additional setup could reduce the amount of foot switching required. Getting up to the first C note is easy enough. If you assigned the pitch controller to the sequencer "run" control, it could be made to run only when that C note is played, then switch keys an 8th note later so the "C" shift switches from 0 to -5. (If you assigned the previous shifts to the actual notes, switch key from A to D at this point.) For measures 4 & 8 pitch controller-based switching could let the other voice through, set to another custom scale with B & C shifts of -8. That would mean no footwork is required beyond switching pitch on/off going into and out of this section.

Back
Top Bottom