Bug: Effect Bypass with auto engage?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
I finally decided to go beyond the 2 basic layouts I've been using (modified versions of the Scenes and Presets layouts).

I wanted to have a layout for controlling effects - either on/off or channel selection.

In any event, I started with the factory Effects layout and changed a few things for my needs.

I wanted a bypass for Delay 1, but remembered that I have it assigned with an auto engage to go off with expression pedal at toe down (expression pedal controls feedback and mix). So I assumed it would not work. I was right...

However, I noticed there was already a button assigned to Rotary. I also have the Rotary set with auto engage. When I tested it out I was very surprised that the Rotary turned on and off.

The only real difference I can see is that Delay is on by default with auto engage at heel down (5%), whereas Rotary is off by default with auto engage at toe down (95%).

Which behavior is wrong?

Maybe it's related to PC Reset or something? Don't remember the other settings.

As far as I recall, the effect has to be OFF by default to Auto-engage.
No, it doesn't.

I've just explained how my effects are setup... They work as expected as long as the modifier is correctly defined.

The problem is not making auto engage work - that is already functioning just fine. Been doing this since Axe Fx II.

The problem is trying to use the FC Effect Bypass function in conjunction with an effect that has auto engage set. In particular, not having consistent behavior.

I finally decided to go beyond the 2 basic layouts I've been using (modified versions of the Scenes and Presets layouts).

I wanted to have a layout for controlling effects - either on/off or channel selection.

In any event, I started with the factory Effects layout and changed a few things for my needs.

I wanted a bypass for Delay 1, but remembered that I have it assigned with an auto engage to go off with expression pedal at toe down (expression pedal controls feedback and mix). So I assumed it would not work. I was right...

However, I noticed there was already a button assigned to Rotary. I also have the Rotary set with auto engage. When I tested it out I was very surprised that the Rotary turned on and off.

The only real difference I can see is that Delay is on by default with auto engage at heel down (5%), whereas Rotary is off by default with auto engage at toe down (95%).

Which behavior is wrong?

Maybe it's related to PC Reset or something? Don't remember the other settings.
I’ll look today.

Just thinking out loud here, as I don't have an FC or your preset to test this. Could it have anything to do with channels? If your modifier is set to only a specific channel, changing to another channel would dis-associate that modifier and Auto-Engage with it.

Just thinking out loud here, as I don't have an FC or your preset to test this. Could it have anything to do with channels? If your modifier is set to only a specific channel, changing to another channel would dis-associate that modifier and Auto-Engage with it.
Actually, I thought about that, too.

The Delay is set to A only while the Rotary is set to All. However, both blocks were on channel A already... And I tried changing Rotary to be A only in the modifier and it made no difference.

Which autoengage type is each block using? Is PC Reset enabled?

Maybe the way this works with MIDI & Axe II explains what you're noticing, if it's the same deal with III & FC.

"Speed" autoengage types allow the usual bypass controller to function always. "Position" types let the bypass controller work when the pedal is below the "on" threshold, which is 5% beyond the off value. (Note that this means the block could either be auto-disengaged, or still on with source between the on & off thresholds, and the bypass controller would work.) PC Reset also lets the bypass controller initially work w/ position types regardless of source starting value, until it changes enough to take control.

Which autoengage type is each block using? Is PC Reset enabled?

Maybe the way this works with MIDI & Axe II explains what you're noticing, if it's the same deal with III & FC.

"Speed" autoengage types allow the usual bypass controller to function always. "Position" types let the bypass controller work when the pedal is below the "on" threshold, which is 5% beyond the off value. (Note that this means the block could either be auto-disengaged, or still on with source between the on & off thresholds, and the bypass controller would work.) PC Reset also lets the bypass controller initially work w/ position types regardless of source starting value, until it changes enough to take control.
I will double check... Will report back later.

Don't remember off the top of my, but I think PC Reset is on for both and type is Fast Position.

Ok. The answer is PC Reset.

When set to ON and the modifier has not been changed since the preset was loaded, the FC Bypass works. If PC Reset is OFF or if the modifier has changed then the FC Bypass doesn't have any effect.

Thanks for the input guys - solved.

Ok. The answer is PC Reset.

When set to ON and the modifier has not been changed since the preset was loaded, the FC Bypass works. If PC Reset is OFF or if the modifier has changed then the FC Bypass doesn't have any effect.

Thanks for the input guys - solved.
hmm. i can't tell if that's purposeful or not. i haven't gotten to testing this yet (ugh where does time go!).

can you think of any reason it may be working this way? i'm not fully understanding just yet.

hmm. i can't tell if that's purposeful or not. i haven't gotten to testing this yet (ugh where does time go!).

can you think of any reason it may be working this way? i'm not fully understanding just yet.
Not really...

And rereading the post from @Bakerman it doesn't match what he wrote, either.

Both are set to Fast Position.

Edit:

To elaborate, I did not try testing the Speed settings... I'm changing the title back to "Bug" for now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom