Bug: abrupt volume drop when changing presets (intermittent)

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...esets-intermittent.131513/page-3#post-1607298

I posted a video of what Out 1 does after the preset switch (it always happens immediately after a preset switch). That video is over a year old now, btw.
Yup. I’m asking for a video from the few who recently posted that it happens very frequently. Since it happens so frequently, I would guess they can hit record and make it happen.

We know the result. I’m looking for any clues from before it happens.

Just bumping this thread to see if there is any progress on this or identification.

We use 2x AX8's and automate patch changes via the USB midi and experience this on a regular basis during live shows. Thanks to the above posts we have been able to quickly fix the patches by nudging OUT1 to restore volume however it is awkward to do while playing.

More than happy to help in efforts to identify and replicate it so it can be solved as we really like the Ax8 and this is basically our only caveat and it can really blow a show up. :(

Just bumping this thread to see if there is any progress on this or identification.

We use 2x AX8's and automate patch changes via the USB midi and experience this on a regular basis during live shows. Thanks to the above posts we have been able to quickly fix the patches by nudging OUT1 to restore volume however it is awkward to do while playing.

More than happy to help in efforts to identify and replicate it so it can be solved as we really like the Ax8 and this is basically our only caveat and it can really blow a show up. :(
Any patterns? I honestly can’t get it to happen regularly.

No, we are just having to keep an ear out for it. (far from ideal!)

It is quite indiscriminate and happens across both units. There is no pattern i can discern sorry :(

Wow....this thread was started Oct. 15, 2017.

This morning on a whim, I decided to give a go at using only presets for my sounds ....ie a preset for pristine clean, a present for edge of breakup, a preset for dirt, a preset for crunch, a present for heavy and a preset for solo lead.....and dedicate a specific bank specifically for this setup.

Basically how I did things prior to using the Fractal 11 years ago. So a dedicated amp block for each sound I’m after. Currently like most players I am using scenes to get these sounds and using scene controllers and the other controller to modify the amp settings.

Also forgoing scenes ...but may use x/y and or a 2nd scene ...since there are 2 amps available in a preset.

Experimenting with this new scenario will show me if any perceived gap when changing presets during a song is negligible for my needs.

Then I just saw this post...

In all my time with the Ax8 ....I’ve never experienced any drop outs or volume changes as described here. With or without a usb connected or running Ax8 Edit.

In essence...much more preset changes with this scenario.....

I’m keeping and eye...and ears out

It happened to me recently while testing a preset pack. It happened twice in two hours of frequent preset changes, with Axe-Edit running.

I've had this happen to me intermittently. Switch to a preset, and the volume drops significantly. Switch to another preset, and volume is restored. Switch back to the "problem" preset, and its volume is restored, too.

It happens only rarely, and I haven't found a pattern to it.
It is exactly the same for my!
This happens only rarely, but even when i been update the firmware, reset to factory defaults, etc. for at least 2 years, it's still happening.

I think it's time to face the facts.
1. this thread is over a year and a half old with many users chiming in experiencing the same issue.
2. no posts on this thread from anyone at FAS
3. one FW update in that time which did not address the issue.
4. Ax8 is now discontinued and replaced with another product.

Draw your own conclusions.

Draw your own conclusions.

I'm not aware that FAS has ever commented on bugs but I might be wrong. Also my assumption is that FAS development was very busy with getting the FM3 out of the door. That said I think it's too early to jump to conclusions. Let's wait for a statement from FAS on the AX8 support future.

Countless times FAS has said "bug confirmed - fixed in next release" or "this is not a but - intended behavior" etc. The issue in this thread has not even been acknowledged that I can find.

You can’t fix what you can’t reliably reproduce. There’s my conclusion, drawn.
I completely agree. However, we don't even know if FAS has tried to reproduce it. It's clearly a bug since it's happened to so many people. I've been a FAS user for 10 years now. I'm not trolling or throwing shade. Just a little frustrated at the radio silence for 1.5 years. If it can't be fixed, so be it, but why let this thread go on so long then? If people are wasting their time hoping for a solution, say so.

I completely agree. However, we don't even know if FAS has tried to reproduce it. It's clearly a bug since it's happened to so many people. I've been a FAS user for 10 years now. I'm not trolling or throwing shade. Just a little frustrated at the radio silence for 1.5 years. If it can't be fixed, so be it, but why let this thread go on so long then? If people are wasting their time hoping for a solution, say so.
Think of it this way: we’ve tried to reproduce it reliably for 1.5 years and can’t.

We also didn't write the software, or have the diagnostic tools. Not a fair comparison. It's not up to the user to fix bugs.
I meant “we” as Fractal. I’m on the beta team. We can’t reliably reproduce it. I’ve spent hours on this personally and a) can’t get it to happen regularly, and b) only had it happen once during a few rigorous testing sessions for this issue specifically.

When we ask people who do have it “regularly” for help or presets, we get few responses. The presets and descriptions I have received haven’t led me to any new discoveries.

I don't think you're trolling. I share your frustration as an AX8 user. As @chris said: the beta team has done a ton of work trying to find ways to make this happen reliably so it can be better diagnosed and fixed. All to no avail. It's beyond frustrating for us on the beta team.

I know, if it could be reproduced, Fractal would be on it with the fury of ten thousand software developers.

Back
Top Bottom