Bug: abrupt volume drop when changing presets (intermittent)

perspective

Problem: Sometimes when I switch presets (stock or user) the output becomes incredibly quiet. This can be fixed by subtly adjusting the "Out 1" knob. Very subtly adjustments - like a millimeter - bring the volume back up to where it should be.

This has been happening to me ever since I got the AX8, a few months ago. Is this a known issue? Could there be something wrong with my hardware? I tried resetting to factory settings and reloading the presets, but that didn't help. I'm on the latest firmware (8.02).

To compound the strangeness: this only happens occasionally. Maybe every 20th time I change presets. I haven't been able to figure out exact steps to replicate the issue; it seems random.

Thanks for the help

Is this a known issue?
No.

Could there be something wrong with my hardware?
Let's try and rule out other possibilities first, okay?

I tried resetting to factory settings and reloading the presets, but that didn't help. I'm on the latest firmware (8.02).
Ah, well let's try this one more time, okay?

Download everything fresh from the website. Including the factory presets. Update them with Fractal-Bot.

To compound the strangeness: this only happens occasionally. Maybe every 20th time I change presets. I haven't been able to figure out exact steps to replicate the issue; it seems random.
Do you have anything other than a guitar attached to the AX8 when it happens? USB? A continuous controller pedal?

output becomes incredibly quiet. This can be fixed by subtly adjusting the "Out 1" knob. Very subtly adjustments - like a millimeter - bring the volume back up to where it should be.
it would really help if we can get a video showing this.

the Output Volume knobs position (digital position) shouldn't be affected by anything like preset changes or similar. so it's strange that adjusting Out 1 is what fixes things. please try to get a video of this. thanks.

I've had this happen to me intermittently. Switch to a preset, and the volume drops significantly. Switch to another preset, and volume is restored. Switch back to the "problem" preset, and its volume is restored, too.

It happens only rarely, and I haven't found a pattern to it.

@Rex, that's exactly what I'm experiencing!

@iaresee It is possibly only happening when attached to my computer via USB, but I'm not sure. I will reset again and try to replicate the issue without USB.

@chris I'll try and get this on video.

I've only seen this when attached via USB. I think it was only when AX8-Edit was up, but I can't say that with certainty.

Same here. Only happens occasionally.Switching to another preset and back again corrects the problem. Not certain if it only happens with USB connected. I suspect the USB as I've never had this problem away from my studio. I'm going to leave the USB disconnected for a few days and see if the problem reoccurs.

Had this happen a couple of times within the last month, once at rehearsal with no USB connected. Switched to another preset and back fixed that incident. Last time was at home with USB connected. This time I touched the OUT1 (MAIN) knob and the volume returned to normal.

I have the exact same intermittent problem with my new 3 weeks old AX8 with the last firmware. It is really annoying

Are you guys switching presets? Scenes? Any pedals plugged in? We need to start getting details so we can compare situations and find similarities.

Ok my case:

guitar (emg picks) -> wah wah gcb 95 -> ax8 -> L and R out with 6.35mmm jacks into an UR22MKii
The problem appears maybe every 20th time I change presets (like Perspective in his first post). The problem does not seem to appear on the same preset, it seems random.
I m switching on another preset and switch back on desired preset to get the good volume

Everyone who's posted, except Phil.... has stated that this has occurred when changing presets. No mention of scenes being a problem.

My setup: Guitar > Tuner > AX8 IN1 > 1/4" L OUT - - Mission SP-2 Expression pedal into PEDAL 1 and PEDAL 2.

In my experience this has been random and I personally have not been able to recreate it. It has occurred with or without USB connection and in two separate environments. At home I connect the AX8 from the 1/4" L out to either a Brunetti Pleximan or Steinberg UR-22 (the problem occurred while connected to the UR-22). Live I connect to the Brunetti. It wasn't the same preset being used in any instance.

The last time it happened, I left it on the preset to see if I could figure out what was going on.First thing I did was touch the OUT 1 MAIN knob and the level returned to normal. I didn't turn the knob, simply touched it. It hasn't happened again to this point so I have had no further opportunity to troubleshoot.

The last time it happened, I left it on the preset to see if I could figure out what was going on.First thing I did was touch the OUT 1 MAIN knob and the level returned to normal. I didn't turn the knob, simply touched it.
Ah! Something new to try next time it happens.

This has happened to me a couple of time too? My AX8 is always connected to AX8-Edit when it's powered up. I have no other info to give....

Could it be a problem with the output knob encoder being in between two contacts??

Mine jumped a couple of times so loud when changing presets that I thought my ears would explode. I turned it off and turned all the knobs back and forth to clean them up and it hasn't happened since then.

It happened to me a couple of times, again and again. Always had USB connected to my Macbook, even with the factory presets and also with the Fremen's Presets. Have last firmware 9.02 installed and AX8 Edit 1.8.7 and it happens again, but less often than FW 8. If I take other preset and then go back to "problem preset", everything is OK ...

I have to chime in. I got my AX8 last month and it has happened to me 3 times. I have been tweaking presets and yesterday took my AX8 to rehearsal for the first time to begin a migration from my Ultra to AX8. Backing track fires MIDI PC messages. Came time for a lead, preset changed and nothing. No volume yet input meter showed activity.

I stepped on another preset and sound returned and then stepped back on the lead preset that gave trouble and it worked fine. I am on v9.3 firmware yet I'm fairly certain it happened on 9.2 because it happened shortly after starting to learn this unit and I blew it off to a quirk.

This is such a random and unexpected and infrequent event that I can only wish good luck on capturing it on video or recreating it but it is a game stopper for my crossover plans.

I’ve had my AX8 a couple weeks and have had this happen maybe 4-5 times, always when changing presets. Same as others have stated, if I select a different preset then normal volume returns. If I go immediately back to the previous preset (that had the volume drop), it’s fine.

interesting. i've never, ever experienced this and i've used it longer than most. keep the reports coming if it's happening. we'll figure it out!

Back
Top Bottom