Bug: abrupt volume drop when changing presets (intermittent)

Same problem here, exactly the same problem, same solution. Only one further thing to add - my last volume drop issue occurred at switch on whilst sound checking for a gig. So, I set our levels through the mixer and PA etc unaware that the AX8 was outputting low, everything sounding great. Halfway through our opening track, the volume jumped right up all on its own, without touching the output 1 knob. Not great.

Same problem here, exactly the same problem, same solution. Only one further thing to add - my last volume drop issue occurred at switch on whilst sound checking for a gig. So, I set our levels through the mixer and PA etc unaware that the AX8 was outputting low, everything sounding great. Halfway through our opening track, the volume jumped right up all on its own, without touching the output 1 knob. Not great.

I emailed G66, the European distributor for FAS, with this issue prior to seeing this thread and they don’t believe it is a known issue. I’ve now forwarded this thread to them. They asked me to strip the unit and check the plug connections were firm which I have done. The one plug nearest the output 1 knob did move a little so I am monitoring the issue again now.

This has happened to me once, while plugged in to AX8 Edit via USB, just switching banks. Switched to another preset and back, and all was good. It was great to have read this thread, so I knew what was happening. Otherwise, I would have been seriously confused. Used my new AX8 at a gig yesterday with no problems (but I was prepared to tweak the output knob lightly if it happened again). Thanks to everyone who has investigated this. The AX8 sounds so darned good, I will wait patiently for the final fix.

This has been happening to me as well. There doesn't seem to be a pattern. It "seems" totally random. I was going to post a bug report, but found this thread. I haven't been tracking it scientifically, but it seems to only happen when USB is plugged and Edit is open. I hope that is the case because if it happens at a gig it will be most distracting.

Nice report, @Jape !

Next time it happens, try turning some knob other than Output. We already know the Output knob fixes the issue. We don’t know about other knobs, though.
Hi Rex, I was messing with the AX8 yesterday in the output 1 suddenly dropped again. I was connected to AX8-Edit and had just selected a preset via AX8-Edit. The VU meter page was already selected so I verified that the output 1 dropped to 6% (from 60%), output 2 was unaffected. Moved output 2 knob, the A through E knobs, and the 'quick access' knobs. No effect on output 1 level, until I moved the output 1 knob. As soon as I move the knob a little bit it 'grabs' the control and jumps to the current setting of the knob.

It's very random, and I haven't found any correlation with specific presets, etc.......

Hi Rex, I was messing with the AX8 yesterday in the output 1 suddenly dropped again. I was connected to AX8-Edit and had just selected a preset via AX8-Edit. The VU meter page was already selected so I verified that the output 1 dropped to 6% (from 60%), output 2 was unaffected. Moved output 2 knob, the A through E knobs, and the 'quick access' knobs. No effect on output 1 level, until I moved the output 1 knob. As soon as I move the knob a little bit it 'grabs' the control and jumps to the current setting of the knob.

It's very random, and I haven't found any correlation with specific presets, etc.......
Thanks, @Moke . That’s a data point we didn’t have before. Now I’m starting to wonder whether it’s a quirk of the analog side. IIRC, there’s a digitally controlled variable resistor at the output.

Thanks, @Moke . That’s a data point we didn’t have before. Now I’m starting to wonder whether it’s a quirk of the analog side. IIRC, there’s a digitally controlled variable resistor at the output.

Those things are used industry wide so the probability of a software bug would be a lot higher.

Any news on this issue? Hoping for a bug fix soon.. this problem is causing my AX8 to be very unreliable in live situations. I have used it both with USB connection to a Mac and also with no connection and the problem is still there.

Any news on this issue? Hoping for a bug fix soon.. this problem is causing my AX8 to be very unreliable in live situations. I have used it both with USB connection to a Mac and also with no connection and the problem is still there.
That's the first report we've had of this issue occurring with no USB connection.

What versions of firmware, AX8-Edit and computer OS are you running?

That's the first report we've had of this issue occurring with no USB connection.

Firmware 8.02, AX8 edit 1.87, OS 10.13.5

I thought I remembered seing someone else here having this issue with no connection, I don't think I'm the first one..

I've stated in both comments (#9 and #44) sharing my experience in this thread that the issue has occurred with or without a USB connection.

Hello,

Curious to know if anything has happened regarding this subject? Haven’t gotten around to try Q10 yet.. any change for the better?

Hm, that's a bummer. There really doesn't seem to be a good work around for this subject other than a fix for the problem or using something else..

Any chance to hear from any moderators concerning this issue?

Hm, that's a bummer. There really doesn't seem to be a good work around for this subject other than a fix for the problem or using something else..

Any chance to hear from any moderators concerning this issue?
Moderators just help with the forum. We don’t create the gear. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom