Bug: abrupt volume drop when changing presets (intermittent)

I have also been experiencing this and think that I have found a clue...........

I just happened to have the VU meter page open the last few times that this happened, and I noticed that the 'Output 1' Level, which was at 58%, had dropped to something like 6%? If I barely moved the 'Out 1' knob, it suddenly jumps back up, and the level with it.

So this seems to be something wrong with the 'Out 1' knob?

I'm glad you posted this because I thought I was losing my mind at my last rehearsal as I thought my volume was getting lower. I switch between 3 guitars and 5-6 presets, so I thought maybe it was just "ear fatigue". I will open the VU meter page next rehearsal.

Count me in on this too.. I’ve had the same issue with severe volume drop when switching between presets, and it is very random. I’m hoping for a cure for this soon because right now the AX8 simply isn’t reliable in a live situation, and that sucks because the unit is otherwise awesome.

I have also been experiencing this and think that I have found a clue...........

I just happened to have the VU meter page open the last few times that this happened, and I noticed that the 'Output 1' Level, which was at 58%, had dropped to something like 6%? If I barely moved the 'Out 1' knob, it suddenly jumps back up, and the level with it.

So this seems to be something wrong with the 'Out 1' knob?
I don’t think that indicates a knob issue. More likely an issue when loading the preset, that gets corrected when you touch the knob and a value is read from it.

This happened to me just yesterday. I was hooked up to the computer and AX8-Edit was also open. Volume dropped.
Can’t recall if I used the computer or the AX8 to switch the preset though.
I’ll pay attention to “how” the preset was changed if it happens again.

I don’t think that indicates a knob issue. More likely an issue when loading the preset, that gets corrected when you touch the knob and a value is read from it.

I tend to agree with this because I experienced the volume drop (and then correction) while switching presets back and forth with a mouse in AX8-EDIT, and never physically touching the AX8.

I would think Out knob position isn’t something a Preset change would affect. Perhaps this is precisely what’s happening errantly?

Reactions: Rex
Same thing here. Sudden volume drop after switching preset. Just slightly moving the Out 1 knob brings the volume back up. This happens every now and then, but luckily for the most part at home when I’m practicing.

I’ve had two AX8 since 2016, and both had this issue.

Since moving the Out 1 knob brings the volume back up, I’m leaning towards this being a bug in the firmware.

FWIW: Random volume drops between presets have also happened to me intermittently since I got the AX8 in the Spring of last year, and, after not having this issue happen for a couple of months now, it happened twice today when switching to a particular preset.

I was connected to AX8-Edit (with Communications Paused) when this happened today; can't remember for sure if this has happened without AX8-Edit connected.

FWIW: Random volume drops between presets have also happened to me intermittently since I got the AX8 in the Spring of last year, and, after not having this issue happen for a couple of months now, it happened twice today when switching to a particular preset.

I was connected to AX8-Edit (with Communications Paused) when this happened today; can't remember for sure if this has happened without AX8-Edit connected.
Did you do anything to “fix it”? The Out knob seems to be consistently reported - did you adjust that?

Did you do anything to “fix it”? The Out knob seems to be consistently reported - did you adjust that?

No, I didn't see this thread until after the fact; I just switched to another preset and back to the affected one and it was fine. The only thing that was consistent (today) was that it was only one preset that was affected, but...

I'll certainly test/check with the Out knob if/when it occurs again. Have used the AX8 for quite a few gigs/rehearsals in the over the last few months without any problems; I'm thinking it may be AX8-Edit related but again, cannot be sure.

I'll make better observations/checks/suggested fixed the next time it happens.

FWIW: one additional thing I can add is this happened (twice in the space of a couple of minutes of each other) when I was doing a lot of fast switching between presets in order to test their levels/balance against each other.

No, I didn't see this thread until after the fact; I just switched to another preset and back to the affected one and it was fine. The only thing that was consistent (today) was that it was only one preset that was affected, but...

I'll certainly test/check with the Out knob if/when it occurs again. Have used the AX8 for quite a few gigs/rehearsals in the over the last few months without any problems; I'm thinking it may be AX8-Edit related but again, cannot be sure.

I'll make better observations/checks/suggested fixed the next time it happens.

FWIW: one additional thing I can add is this happened (twice in the space of a couple of minutes of each other) when I was doing a lot of fast switching between presets in order to test their levels/balance against each other.

I don’t think it’s related to the Axe Edit, it has happened to me several times when playing live and no Axe Edit was connected. However I do connect it to an iPad with Cubasis to send midi messages to the AX8 so maybe it has to do with it being connected via usb/midi?

Just happened to me again. Status is I was in editor and changed presets with the little 1,2,3 buttons. This time it was a different preset. Volume 'almost' gone. Had the VU meter page up on the AX8. Signal on the VU meter was good... did not change. Barely turned the Output button, on the AX8, and sound was restored. This was not the same preset it happened on last. Almost seemed like corruption during preset loading.

The 'Out 1' and 'Out 2' values aren't part of a preset, so loading a preset shouldn't disturb them?? But it does seem to have something to do with the process of loading a preset though?? I haven't noticed it happening while already on a preset, Only after loading a new one???

The 'Out 1' and 'Out 2' values aren't part of a preset, so loading a preset shouldn't disturb them?? But it does seem to have something to do with the process of loading a preset though?? I haven't noticed it happening while already on a preset, Only after loading a new one???
Yup. That’s why I suspect it’s an issue with loading a preset. As soon as you touch the Out knob, it reads the knob movement, recalculates the value, and comes up with the correct value (note this is conjecture only).

It would be interesting if, the next time it happens, someone would try turning a different knob instead.

Just happened to me again. Status is I was in editor and changed presets with the little 1,2,3 buttons. This time it was a different preset. Volume 'almost' gone. Had the VU meter page up on the AX8. Signal on the VU meter was good... did not change. Barely turned the Output button, on the AX8, and sound was restored. This was not the same preset it happened on last. Almost seemed like corruption during preset loading.
Same here. The VU meter itself will not show any sign of this issue. Not in my experience anyway. The number shown in % under the VU meter will drop to like 2% or 3%, while the VU meter itself is showing what should be a signal. When you move the Out 1 knob, the volume and number jumps back to whatever % you had it on.

This has not happened to me , but food for thought: 1) Is it ONLY happening when loading a preset that is extremely high in CPU%? or 2) Is there a common block in the presets that you're trying to load when this happens? Maybe people should be very specific to those things also when describing this (if possible) . . Again this hasn't happened to me but I tested software for a long time as a job and I know how specific you have to be to help the programmers. Good luck all!

Hi

I'm getting it too, no USB connected - across a range of presets, it will happen when I'm in the preset not changing anything and moving the knob usually fixes it.

Not doing anything and keeping playing, at a random time it will go back up - often minutes later.

going to downgrade to 9.02 (current 9.03) and see if that fixes it

Hm. So it's not just me. Happened to me on 9.01 at a gig back in December (of course) - I had hooked up to my tablet running FracPad. Changed a scene on a preset with the footswitches to go into a solo and all of a sudden no volume. Band was playing on... I checked cords, etc all OK. Tried changing scenes but no soap. Went up one preset and back and it returned. Did not happen before or since, although at home I usually don't run with USB connected, so perhaps that has something to do with it. As an aside, I do still have a very infrequent occurrence of spontaneous scene change on a particular preset I use, I reported this some time ago, and after 9.01 it almost disappeared. Still occurs but very rarely. The volume drop was new to me, though. Now running 9.02, I have yet to update to 9.03. Keep forgetting. :rolleyes: Have to remember the volume know workaround.

Back
Top Bottom