Buffering/impedance quetions with 4CM

All potential hum/noise/groundloop issues aside:

I'm in the process of rebuilding my rig, and if all goes well, will be doing the 4 cable method with the AxeFX through an Engl E570. So I'll be plugging the guitar into the Axe, axe to Engl, Engl back to Axe, then to power amp.

I'm curious as to how signal buffering works from the Axe's output to the front of the Engl. Simply, how will it sound comparing the output from the Axe (with no Axe effects enabled) into the amp, versus the guitar straight into the amp? I figure the impedance will be different, and the touch response won't be there?

If that is the case, I guess the trade off is either 4CM (which allows me to use the AxeFx's instrument input with the 'secret sauce' when bypassing the Engl), or to simply have the Axe in the loop (but then I won't be able to take advantage of the secret sauce when using the AxeFx amp sims).

Any thoughts on this?

Well in thinking about this some more, since the Axe is going to buffer the signal no matter what, I guess the question is simply: how does an amp sound with the Axe buffering (and the Axe not having anything enabled) vs. straight into the amp?

I'll end up trying it out myself next week when the remaining building blocks for my rig arrive, but curious to what people's experiences are with this.

Back
Top Bottom