Buffer Size in the FM9

I am having issues with sound fading out or moving from left to right side while recording or simply using spotify. I try to research but couldn’t find anything other than probably buffer size.

I am trying to find the buffer size in the FM9 but there is nothing
I have seen some videos and it shows in the I/O menu but in my FM9 it is not there. Not sure if it is because of the latest update or what it is but cannot find it,

Anyone can offer some advice?

Thanks
Simon

I am having issues with sound fading out or moving from left to right side while recording or simply using spotify. I try to research but couldn’t find anything other than probably buffer size.

I am trying to find the buffer size in the FM9 but there is nothing
I have seen some videos and it shows in the I/O menu but in my FM9 it is not there. Not sure if it is because of the latest update or what it is but cannot find it,

Anyone can offer some advice?

Thanks
Simon

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-usb-firmware-v-1-01-public-beta.185480/

Most likely not. Buffer issues usually lead to glitching, clicks, or dropouts, not smooth fades in and out. Sounds more like something on the computer side. Windows or Mac?

it happens while using spotify and recording on my DAW, both cubase and reaper
the crazy part is that if I am playing the sound while playing won’t change, just the backup in either the DAW or Spotify.

The buffer size parameter was removed n a recent firmware update, but it’s unlikely that’s related to your problem. It sounds like you might have a noise gate unexpectedly affecting your audio. Can you provide more details about your configuration?

Are you using the Fractal ASIO drivers in both DAWs? Sounds like maybe a gate or Windows' old Communications setting messing with you.

I am going directly from the FM9 to my computer with windows 11 to both DAW’s
Before the FM9 I was using a Universal Audio Apollo Solo and never had an issue, this started when I went direct from the FM9.

Havent tried FM9 through the interface, I don’t have the cables to try it out

Thanks I am
Still not able to sort it out, it has something to do with the outputs in the FM9 and the computer.
The fact that it happens with the DAW and Spotify tells me that, additional it wasn’t happening before with the Apollo.
Scratching my head over this one

Next step is to connect the FM9 to the Apollo and se what happens
What kind of cables do I need? The Apollo dosen’t have SPDIF

Thanks
Let me describe what happens
I recently acquire the FM9 and I love it by the way.
Before getting the FM9 I was connecting to the Apollo Solo directly using Helix Native or plugins using both Cubase 12 and Reaper with no issues at all, I know how buffer works and what I need to do to avoid cuts and interruptions.
Once I got the FM9 I connect it directly to the computer trough the USB and started recording with Cubase and Reaper and playing some backup tracks on Spotify.
I started noticing cuts in sound, sometimes on and off, sometimes the audio goes to either the left side or the right side using headphones or monitors. While the cuts happen, you can see the audio is still there in both DAW’s as it shows in the meters, additional while the cuts happen the guitar has no cuts at all and works normally.
I have checked the buffer on the DAW and is all good, also the audio on DAW, Computer and FM9 all is at 48K so no issued there.
Important to mention if I use the headphone audio to listen to the tacks recorded or Spotify, there are no cuts at all, so I am sure it is the connection between the computer and FM9.
I have tried 2 different USB cables and it is the same, so it is not the cable
I really don’t know what else to do other than connect the FM9 to the Apollo and see what happens but as I asked before, no clue what cables to use.
This is very annoying and frustrating not to be able to pint out what the issue is,

Thank you,
Simon

There have been a number of reports of this problem. Some people have reported success when using a usb cable with ferrite rings, like the one below. In any case, I'd suggest contacting FAS tech support about this.

Amazon product ASIN B09P2RS5FR
If you need to connect via an audio interface, I'd recommend using an interface with digital I/O. You'll have to use analog connections to connect to a Solo.

I was using an AXE IIXL+ via USB with a mac and also a Duet 2 interface. I had audio dropouts, and when the audio resumed, it would be delayed by a second or more. I upgraded to a Duet 3 and FM9 and mac studio, same problem. Upgraded the USB cable. Same problem. Started using the FM9 as the only interface (disconnected the Duet) and everything has been fine since. Can't use 2 interfaces at the same time.

Can't use 2 interfaces at the same time.
That's one conclusion one could draw from your experience. However, using dual interfaces with an Axe-FX is fairly common....I don't have any trouble using dual interfaces.

That's one conclusion one could draw from your experience. However, using dual interfaces with an Axe-FX is fairly common....I don't have any trouble using dual interfaces.
Interesting. OK, "I" can't use 2 interfaces. To add more detail, I also got a high-pitch whine. I checked the interwebz and docs and it was suggested that this could be a USB ground-loop. I tried plugging the USB into different ports and a hub, also made sure everything in the system was plugged into the same AC mains outlet. Didn't help. Turning off the Duet, no problem.

Could be an issue with the Duet I suppose.

Update
After trying every cable and connections etc nothing worked
After a lot if suggestions from Fractal Customer service finally a fix
They sent me a previous version of the driver and now it is flawless

Thanks Fractal for the support

Back
Top Bottom