Buffer required?Axe Buffer variable thing

Billbill

Power User
Hi all,
I don’t know much about impedance or buffers other than lower imp is better and buffers act like a signal “pump” on long runs.
I’m trying to improve my sound so was just researching trying to see if the rig could benefit. I also read something about the AxeFx having some kind of variable impedance auto thing? Can someone break this down in dumb dumb terms? I’m wondering if my rig would benefit from a buffer or if it’s even necessary.
Running 6 pedals with about 6 ft worth of patch cables into the front. Signal chain: Guitar>20ft cable>BossCS3 compressor, and 5 other OD’s/Fuzzes>15ft cable>AxeFx2 input. Would it be wasting time to stick a buffer somewhere in there or tinkering with the variable impedance auto setting? Thx.

The Boss pedal is already buffered, so you're covered there.

For high impedance signals like electric guitar, you want a high input impedance and a low output impedance for minimal signal loss and loading on the pickups. The Axe FX has a 1 Megaohm (1 million ohms) input impedance and a 600 ohm output impedance. A typical passive electric guitar will usually have an output impedance of somewhere between 5k to 50k ohms depending on the pickups and how you have your volume and tone knobs set. Active guitars have a buffered low impedance output, so it's not really a concern there.

The variable input impedance is meant to replicate the loading effects of older, non-buffered effects (fuzz pedals, univibe, etc.) on passive guitar pickups. A lower input impedance tends to roll off high frequencies and shifts the resonant peak of the pickup down towards the bass frequencies. If you're using a buffer between the Axe FX and your guitar or you have active pickups, it is of no use and should just be set to 1 Megaohm manually.

Back
Top Bottom