Budget monitors! KRK, Mackie, Yamaha or Yorkville?

Tapestry

Hey guys, my Axe-FX II should be delivered an day now, but all I have to play it through is my Marshall JVM's power amp and my Orange 4x12 cab (both of which I'm trying to sell). I'm looking to buy some studio monitors to use for practice at home since I plan to use the Axe direct for playing live, and also to start getting into some recording / mixing stuff within the next little while.

My local music store Long & McQuade has in-store financing so I'm looking to buy them there, but I'd like to get some insight on which monitors might be good since none of the staff there have ever seen or heard an Axe-FX. I'm assuming that a bigger speaker will sound better (more bass, etc.), but I have no idea which brands may be good / bad. Here's the ones I'm looking at:

KRK RP-6 G2 - $229.99
KRK RP-8 G2 - $279.99
Mackie MR8MK2 - $249.99
Yamaha HS50M - $199.99
Yamaha HS80M - $349.00 (I've read great reviews on these)
Yorkville YSM6 - $230.00
Yorkville YSM8 - $285.00

Reviews, insight, or recommendations welcome :)

Out of that list, I'd go with the Yamaha HS80M. (I don't have any experience with the Yorkvilles, so I can't speak on those.) I'd also like to suggest looking at the JBL LSR2328P if you're looking for an 8" speaker. If you'd rather go with a 5", there's the JBL LSR2325P. I have a pair of 2328Ps in my studio and I'm very happy with them. They're in the same price range with the other monitors on your list. Also just want to point out that the prices you have listed are for ONE monitor. Double those prices for a pair. From your post, it sounds like you're a little new to this approach to a home guitar rig. Just trying to help you out there. No offense intended if you already knew that the prices were for a single monitor. Hope this helps. Cheers! :)

Hey guys, my Axe-FX II should be delivered an day now, but all I have to play it through is my Marshall JVM's power amp and my Orange 4x12 cab (both of which I'm trying to sell). I'm looking to buy some studio monitors to use for practice at home since I plan to use the Axe direct for playing live, and also to start getting into some recording / mixing stuff within the next little while.

My local music store Long & McQuade has in-store financing so I'm looking to buy them there, but I'd like to get some insight on which monitors might be good since none of the staff there have ever seen or heard an Axe-FX. I'm assuming that a bigger speaker will sound better (more bass, etc.), but I have no idea which brands may be good / bad. Here's the ones I'm looking at:

KRK RP-6 G2 - $229.99
KRK RP-8 G2 - $279.99
Mackie MR8MK2 - $249.99
Yamaha HS50M - $199.99
Yamaha HS80M - $349.00 (I've read great reviews on these)
Yorkville YSM6 - $230.00
Yorkville YSM8 - $285.00

Reviews, insight, or recommendations welcome :)

I have a KRK Rokit 6 pair running out of little Mackie mixer.
Happy with them for general recording and mixing use and also with the AXE 2.
I use an FBT Verver 12ma when I want to get loud.

You will not get an amp/cab experience out of any of the above, but they are all probably good.
See if they will simply play some music you are familiar on each of them.
Get what sounds best to you. Some near field monitors can be harsh.

I'd also take the HS80Ms out of all those choices. I don't mind Yorkville powered wedges for stage amplification but those desktop monitors are the pits. Better are Tannoy Reveal 601As in my opinion, but if you can't find them on the rock, Yammies...

If $700 is your budget, I'd do what I did...found a used, but like new set of Mackie HR824's...very, very nice monitors...!

I also have had for well over a year B-stock Mackie Hr624MKII's-rock solid and sound great. MF and Music 123 usually have the B-stock stock. $350 each deklivered and that was a while ago.

I've got the HS50Ms and am very happy with them. The 5" fit better on my desk and are most definately loud enough. I think I paid just under $300 brand new for the pair.

002-4_zps71fecec4.jpg

+1 on the HS80M's. Pleased as punch after going through number of other options. Great and very pro sounding. Best bang for the buck unless you can find "B" stock Mackie's.

I've some Mackie SRM450s (PA speakers) but they sound very brittle in the top end. These were my first attempt at FRFR because I already had them but they were discarded pretty quickly. I have some Yamaha HS7s through a MOTU Ultralite and these sound really good.

Back
Top Bottom