Budget coaxial active cabs-new contestant

Thanks for the info/evaluation. I think you just saved me some money on shipping and returning! :)

So you thought (other than the bass flapping issue) that the SXM112As sounded a lot like the TS112As, but liked the SXM112s better than the atomic, and liked the atomics better than the TS112As????

never played the sxm112a with the band. I suspect they would have wound up being the same as the ts112As (which the atomic seems to have more a tad more mid range cut). I liked the sxms weight and lack of directionality. Although the low end sound smoother, once you pumped it up that vibration stats is getting audible. The only 2 things that that I think could be better on the atomics is weight (although it is light for a tube poweramp) and if you are not careful the low end can get out of hand. I'm not sure if that is happening in the power amp or speakers though. I roll off the global lows and it seems to take care of that. I was hoping to find some active, SS cab under $1K for 2. It looks like that is asking too much.

Sean,

Do you think the cabs and power amps would be good enough to warrant a quality speaker upgrade? This may in sum be cheaper still than a brand name monitor, at least in certain parts of the world.

Still thinking about the Passive Atomic Wedges in truth. As the Matrix is in the Rack anyway - I could always drive them from that and it would put the cost in a similar ballpark (in the UK). OK the Atomics arnt Co-Axial - but it might provide a better, cheap(ish) short/med term solution until I can afford the RCFs

Thoughts JJ?

The LD is active. It's decent sounding but not really powerful if you need a LOUD monitor, a bit bass-shy (but not farting out). Better than the Verve IMO.

Damn - I read that as capable of handling 250w - not having an in-build 250W amp.

Still, its cheaper than anything other than the Altos inthe thread. Wonder how those two compare.

I did realise 100db isnt loud - BUT if I want loud, I can run the Matrix/traditional cab onstage for monitoring. Im after something for when I have to go FRFR because stage volume must be kept low (wedding functions and the like).

Also - looking for something to try FRFR at home (as opposed to the little Event TR5 studio monitors I have which are fine but have obviouse limitations). If I like it and get into it Ill ultimately get one of the RFCs Scott is using.

I'm also using the RCF ;-) even before Scott.
Tried the K10, the Verve12mA and the LD Systems before. The LD was thew best of that bunch IMO.

I'm also using the RCF ;-) even before Scott.
Tried the K10, the Verve12mA and the LD Systems before. The LD was thew best of that bunch IMO.

Merlin's thread about the RCF is what got my notice and piqued up my interested in the RCF NX 12-SMA. He's been an invaluable source of information and answered all my questions.

I greatly trust his opinion(s) given how closely my experience matched his.

I'm glad somebody else said it.

Oh dear, it looks like I'll have to rethink those KRK RP8 G2's . I'd heard good things about them on these forums. The only other monitors i've heard good things about are the Adams Ax7s, but they are a little out of my price range (especially considering the dent the Axe Fx 2 is putting in the piggy bank)!

Last edited:
The LD is active. It's decent sounding but not really powerful if you need a LOUD monitor, a bit bass-shy (but not farting out). Better than the Verve IMO.
Thanks also for warning. I see Thomann also sell a little brother, LD M101A. Did you try these ? I only play in small venues (bars) and rehearsal, and use direct out to the mixer for the room amplification. Do do you think it would be enough or is it really too small ?

Regarding the SXM112, what about the midrange, for guitar use, to your opinion ?

Actually I use a Traynor K4 but find it way too heavy, difficult to transport regarding it's sizings and on top of that IMO it slightly colors the sound in the midrange (a bit pushy in the mids, and lack of headroom at lower volumes (?), but "the bitch" has a lot of bite and damn tight basses, I've got to admit that)

Thanks for your advice.

I didn't try the M101A, but I would think it will not be satisfying, even less headroom and probably even more bass-shy than the 121A.

I was hoping to find some active, SS cab under $1K for 2. It looks like that is asking too much.

Sean, have you ever tried the QSC HPR122i?
On the used market they're around $350-400 a piece....the have loads of low end and tons of headroom.

BBN said:
Sean, have you ever tried the QSC HPR122i?
On the used market they're around $350-400 a piece....the have loads of low end and tons of headroom.

They also weigh a ton. I had one as my first FRFR. It sounded pretty good but the size/weight was unacceptable to me.

Brown dropped off my speaker about an hour ago.

My first impression is pretty positive. Relative to my K8s, the low end seems less exaggerated and the mids are a bit less scooped. The result is a balanced but more present sound than the QSCs without the midrange honk I noticed when auditioning the 8ma. Sound quality seems consistent over a broad volume range and dispersion is broad. Fan noise seems minimal.

I've noticed a bit of "paper" sound as well, particularly when palm muting high gain. I'm hoping that it might be mitigated a bit as the speaker breaks in. As noted, the bass is not exaggerated which means that it sounds like a cab with a single 12" speaker. It gets pretty loud but don't expect it to thump like a 4x12 or even a 2x12.

I played a bit with the different EQ voicings and and trying to decide between "Flat" and "Stage". Aside from the latter being louder, I'm not sure there's a lot of difference. The other settings are generally emphasized some frequencies too much in this application IMO.

I'll try it in a band situation this weekend. If it works as well as I expect, I'll likely pick up a second one at "full price". At the price I paid through Hello Music, it was and is a no-brainer. Even at $300, I think it's a good value.

Video: Axe-FX II | RCF vs. Alto Shootout

I own and use a RCF NX 12SMA for a powered cab/wedge to run FRFR for my gigs and preference.
Got the Alto Professional SXM112A Tourmax in here; give it a go. Following is IMHO, YMMV.

Short version: It's good value for the money; but really pales in comparison to the RCF in terms of performance.

Longer version:

Pluses:
  • Nice size, nice weight.
  • Good quality materials and build for the money.
  • It worked when I turned it on.
Minuses:
  • Flubby bottom end no matter what you set the 'preset' knob too.
  • Stuffy midrange. Nasal and boxy sounding.
  • Dull high end. Made the top end of tones sound indistinct; clarity was obscured.
  • Output sound pressure levels are not very high. I was getting maybe 110db about a meter away cranked up, didn't sound good at all when I did that.
  • All the controls and connections are on the back, which would face the audience. That's a disaster waiting to happen, or at the very least a unprofessional looking solution for stage work
Compared and contrasted to the RCF NX 12SMA - like comparing a high school baseball player to an All-Star major league player. The Alto is about 60% of the size of the RCF - that's great! - but there is no serious way to compare the two in any realistic manner. It's just not a fair fight.

Conclusion: Do not know if I'd be happy with this personally; but I'm a spoiled boy now. This is a value box though; for the money - a $200 speaker from HelloMusic - this is a grand slam though.

IMHO, YMMV.

I did a video shoot out; quick and down-n-dirty, but you can get a frame of reference from it.

not a fair fight at all.:lol Funny, I wasn't getting a flubby bottom end, just that paper flapping sound.

obviously - the rcf smokes the alto.

not a fair fight at all.:lol Funny, I wasn't getting a flubby bottom end, just that paper flapping sound.

obviously - the rcf smokes the alto.

No, a fair fight it is not. LOL.

It sounds flubby to me in contrast to my NF/Sub studio monitors *and* the RCF... which are very high standards.

Frankly, I could use this and be fine... but I did not listen to it out of context or standing on it's own. I was cutting tracks all day with the RCF adding the 'amp in the room' (excuse the use of that) to interact with the guitar; so I was very tuned into how my rig sounded. Then the brown truck pulled up and I pulled this out, set it up next to the RCF and played for about 30 minutes. I was underwhelmed; but that's really not a damning comment moreso than it is what i say in the in the OP... I realized how spoiled I am with the RCF.

It is... what it is.

The Alto is a serious value for the money. It is not loud enough, nor offer enough clarity and accuracy for me. YMMV!

No, a fair fight it is not. LOL.

It sounds flubby to me in contrast to my NF/Sub studio monitors *and* the RCF... which are very high standards.

Frankly, I could use this and be fine... but I did not listen to it out of context or standing on it's own. I was cutting tracks all day with the RCF adding the 'amp in the room' (excuse the use of that) to interact with the guitar; so I was very tuned into how my rig sounded. Then the brown truck pulled up and I pulled this out, set it up next to the RCF and played for about 30 minutes. I was underwhelmed; but that's really not a damning comment moreso than it is what i say in the in the OP... I realized how spoiled I am with the RCF.

It is... what it is.

The Alto is a serious value for the money. It is not loud enough, nor offer enough clarity and accuracy for me. YMMV!

you weren't getting that vibration on the low notes? palm muting brings it out.

Back
Top Bottom