Bryston 2B LP vs ART SLA 1 power amp shootout!

Bryson 2B LP vs ART SLA 1

• ART SLA 1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milleniumking

Inspired
Hi all, as I mentioned before I am running a Bryston power amp for my AXE ii, it is however, quite old, maybe 10 years old? I was thinking about replacing it with the ART SLA 1 because it has slightly higher output on mono and stereo setups. I am currently running a 2x12 with v30's with the Bryston, sounds very good but I feel I need a bit more....

Any help with this is appreciated..

Pick up a Matrix and be done with it...

I've heard the Bryston amps are nice. Not sure how the ART will compare. I had an SLA-2 before my Matrix GT800FX and sound wise they are pretty similar... But the ART was a beast for size and weight, and did not have 1/4" or speakon jacks.

Pick up a Matrix and be done with it...

I've heard the Bryston amps are nice. Not sure how the ART will compare. I had an SLA-2 before my Matrix GT800FX and sound wise they are pretty similar... But the ART was a beast for size and weight, and did not have 1/4" or speakon jacks.

The matrix is way out of my price range. I wish i could get it! I think im going to get the art. Many reviews on youtube and such.

The matrix is way out of my price range. I wish i could get it! I think im going to get the art. Many reviews on youtube and such.
Fair enough... Same reason I started with ART.

But my back thanked me after moving the rack with with that SLA-2 too many times!

I almost bought an ART SLA too. I've never used one, but I passed on them for the same reasons unix-guy mentioned. I first purchased a Palmer Macht 402 from thomannmusic-dot-com for its versatility. I like it a lot! I've since replaced it with a Matrix GT1000FX, due to a deal I couldn't refuse, however, I plan to keep the Palmer around because its such a great deal!

Unfortunately, I can't speak of the Bryston amp.

Hi all, as I mentioned before I am running a Bryston power amp for my AXE ii, it is however, quite old, maybe 10 years old? I was thinking about replacing it with the ART SLA 1 because it has slightly higher output on mono and stereo setups. I am currently running a 2x12 with v30's with the Bryston, sounds very good but I feel I need a bit more....

Any help with this is appreciated..

FWIW
I've owned and/or used all the power amps mentioned in this thread so far, except for Crown, and here are my subjective experiences.

The SLA1 and SLA2 are OK but don't sound nearly as musical as either the Bryston 2B LP or the Matrix GT1000.
There's an overemphasized top end and unnatural sounding (to me) bottom end with the ART amps.

Of the 3, the Bryston sounds the most neutral and the illusion that with your Axe presets you are playing a real tube amp is strongest with this power amp.
I used my 2B LPs in bridged mono mode for 200 watts into an 8ohm open back cab with an EMV-12L in it.
In stereo mode, at 60 watts a side, the 2B is OK for small rehearsals, but that's about it.
So for stereo I have a 2nd 2B LP.
The only real downside of these amps is the weight and the price.
They're quite heavy, especially watt per pound.
But they can be found used at more reasonable prices.
They last forever.

So I usually use a Matrix GT1000.
It doesn't sound quite as good to me as the Brystons do, but only when I really nit pik.
It has a certain quality to it that is very guitar music friendly though, and I'm quite comfortable with it now.

The Matrix amps are the simplest solution.
PS
I did not like the sound of the GT800 I owned briefly at all.

I did not like the sound of the GT800 I owned briefly at all.
Just curious, what was it that you didn't like compared to the 1000?

I have a later model GT800fx (with a bridged jack, not the one requiring a special cable) and I think it sounds great.

Just curious, what was it that you didn't like compared to the 1000?

I have a later model GT800fx (with a bridged jack, not the one requiring a special cable) and I think it sounds great.

Sounded brittle and sterile to me, compared to all above mentioned amps, especially the top end, iirc.
Especially true with CDs through FRFR monitors.
Perhaps I got a bad unit.
I was expecting it to sound more like the Bryston or the ART compared to the Gt1000, but that was not my experience.

I really do like the Bryston. It is just a bit under powered. For home playing and such is is awesome but I need a bit more for a band I am joining shortly. May have to give it up and get a Art Sla 2.

Sounded brittle and sterile to me, compared to all above mentioned amps, especially the top end, iirc.
Especially true with CDs through FRFR monitors.
Perhaps I got a bad unit.
I was expecting it to sound more like the Bryston or the ART compared to the Gt1000, but that was not my experience.
Thanks. I've used mine side by side with two different GT1000 amps and there was no discernible difference.

Thanks. I've used mine side by side with two different GT1000 amps and there was no discernible difference.

So Unix-guy... for my situation where I am in need of more power, but am unable to afford the matrix :( . Would you say the ART SLA 2 would work for my situation? Reason i am asking is because there is someone willing to trade their ART SLA 2 + $100 for my Bryston 2b lp. I think it is a fair trade considering it is really what I need at the moment.

So Unix-guy... for my situation where I am in need of more power, but am unable to afford the matrix :( . Would you say the ART SLA 2 would work for my situation? Reason i am asking is because there is someone willing to trade their ART SLA 2 + $100 for my Bryston 2b lp. I think it is a fair trade considering it is really what I need at the moment.
From my experience, if you need more volume and don't care about weight or needing to get some banana plug connectors, you'll be fine.

I used mine in a 2 guitar band and had plenty of headroom and no problem with volume.

From my experience, if you need more volume and don't care about weight or needing to get some banana plug connectors, you'll be fine.

I used mine in a 2 guitar band and had plenty of headroom and no problem with volume.

Thanx Unix-Guy. I think it willl be a good choice for my situation. I have banana plugs on my Bryston already so no biggie. :)

How about bridging the Bryston for more ooompphhh and getting a second one for the other channel. Bryston power amp sound great whenever I've head them.

How about bridging the Bryston for more ooompphhh and getting a second one for the other channel. Bryston power amp sound great whenever I've head them.

I currently have it bridged into a 16 ohm cab. It sounds good but need more power. Im planning on getting a 4x12 as well for a death metal band I will be joining and need to move some air. Im trying not to spend too much cash at the moment so I am trading it for an Art Sla 2.

I currently have it bridged into a 16 ohm cab. It sounds good but need more power. Im planning on getting a 4x12 as well for a death metal band I will be joining and need to move some air. Im trying not to spend too much cash at the moment so I am trading it for an Art Sla 2.

You might want to check with Bryston, but I don't think these amps are meant to run bridged into in 16 ohms.
You may be damaging the amp or might not be getting full power.
Bridged mono on these amps is supposed to be run into an 8ohm load and will give 200 watts.
I have no idea what type of power bridged mono into 16 ohms will achieve but it's probably less than 200 watts.
If I were you, I'd try it bridged into an 8ohm cab before I made any big decisions about scrapping it.

And the only reason I can think of for buying an SLA2 over a GT1000 is $.
The GT sounds MUCH better and is MUCH lighter.
If you get the SLA now you'll probably just upgrade to the GT later.

Back
Top Bottom