AFIII Brown Sound

Thanks so much for all the good vibes, you guys. Good fun, eh? I've just put up another video and preset link so you can really run with it. @R.D. - Thank you again. @simeon Thank you for the D120 tip. I've used it here, hopefully to good effect.

Have a good one!

Preset: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=9022

Thanks Burgs! Great playing and great preset!

What kind of pickups are in the guitar you are playing?
Can you buy those pickups separately or are they only available on that model guitar?

Can you buy those pickups separately or are they only available on that model guitar?
Thanks! The pickups are 'DiMarzio Custom Humbucking' as per the website. I have no idea what their off-the-shelf equivalent would be as I've only ever owned them with these instruments. Do they do a boxed set? That's a question I can't answer, I'm sorry. Anyone..?

FM3 owners, here's a version of the preset adjusted to fit into an FM3. The preset has been split into two because the original used dual amp blocks so this preserves the amp models across the two presets, and has had the IR player removed because that block doesn't exist in the FM3.

Attachments

• 452_1-4 Shades of Brown.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 453_5-8 Shades of Brown.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 61
FM3 owners, here's a version of the preset adjusted to fit into an FM3. The preset has been split into two because the original used dual amp blocks so this preserves the amp models across the two presets, and has had the IR player removed because that block doesn't exist in the FM3.
Great work, Greg. I'll give these a belt myself later on. Cheers!

Great work, Greg. I'll give these a belt myself later on. Cheers!
No, great work to you! I just tore apart your work and left a piece of it laying on the floor. :)

I think it sounds good without the IR Player block and since it's icing on the cake it's not essential.

I'd like to see your original added to the Factory presets as it really sounds killer.

I just experimented with the Tape Distortion Drive block, with the drive set at 2, added between the Flanger and Delay block. It seems like a reasonable substitute for the IR Player and Echoplex TAPE IR, thickening the sound a little. I'm sure it's not a perfect match but it'll work on the FM3.

I just experimented with the Tape Distortion Drive block, with the drive set at 2, added between the Flanger and Delay block. It seems like a reasonable substitute for the IR Player and Echoplex TAPE IR, thickening the sound a little. I'm sure it's not a perfect match but it'll work on the FM3.

I can't seem to get the Tape Dist to sound right ?!? .... There just seems to be "something" missing ? ....

But @Admin M@ came up w/ a couple of PEQ blocks that when used in series sounds closer than anything else I've tried.

There here in post # 16: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/brown-sound.175151/

Caveat - I've got an Axe-Fx III and I don't know anything about the FM3 preset architecture ?

I can't seem to get the Tape Dist to sound right ?!? .... There just seems to be "something" missing ? ....

But @Admin M@ came up w/ a couple of PEQ blocks that when used in series sounds closer than anything else I've tried.

There here in post # 16: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/brown-sound.175151/

Caveat - I've got an Axe-Fx III and I don't know anything about the FM3 preset architecture ?
Wouldn't you need the Tape Disc block to be in front of the amp, after the pedal effects like the Echo IR is placed in the chain? The PEQ solution works to my ears. Like someone mentioned above, the small pre-amp is the icing and there are times when I wish it was off, particularly when I'm playing with guitar's volume low for Ed's clean parts. I feel there's a little bit of unwanted distortion or hair that's not there with it off. But I don't want to step on a pedal. And I'm really splitting hairs here. I haven't found my favorite Scene in @Burgs preset yet. I fall in love with one, then hear another, then hear mine, and today my plan is to figure out how to take what I like from all of them and make it my own. Because it really does sound different on each 'Rig' or speaker setup. I've cycled thru my Xitone, my DXR-10s in stereo, and my desk monitors in stereo. Personally, I'm just trying to make it sound, react and feel like an amp, so my Xitone-One Speaker is MY deal. And I must say the 2nd preset came across much better through the single speaker than the first. I really like the Cab choice.

how can i open them in AXE edit or how can i use them
If you haven't figured this out already, rolidoc, simply drag Matt's blocks directly into Axe Edit in order (prior to drive and amp if you wish to be EJ authentic) and they will appear in PEQ form,

The Tape Distortion drive, like the Echoplex Tape IR in the IR Player, makes a very small difference in a mid-range hump in the sound compared to the heavy distortion coming from the Amp block and how the Cab block is molding it. The PEQ blocks are the same situation. Whether it makes an audible difference on stage in a live band setting or from the audience is something that can be debated by scholars in the years to come.

The FX3 and FM3 presets are interchangeable as long as you honor the restrictions in the FM3. Both run Cygnus and that’s the glue.

Reactions: Rex
…And I'm really splitting hairs here.…
Yes.

Watch @Burgs’ first video when he was discussing the single scene version of the preset and he says the IR block makes just a little difference, which I think is not even equal to the difference between the different amp models in his second version. They’re all extremely good and we would have been overjoyed to have any one of them prior to Cygnus and his efforts. I’m delighted to be able to make that kind of noise.

Last edited:

Thanks! The pickups are 'DiMarzio Custom Humbucking' as per the website. I have no idea what their off-the-shelf equivalent would be as I've only ever owned them with these instruments. Do they do a boxed set? That's a question I can't answer, I'm sorry. Anyone..?
Email DiMarzio... They can give you the answer.

I did this in the past regarding some manufacture-specific pickups they did and Larry himself replied to me with some good info.

The thing that's not getting talked about here is the player. @Burgs just has a great feel for these kinds of tones,. In his hands they have this great bark and percussive impact, with what for lack of a better word I'd call dignity or composure, and none of the mess I sometimes get with gained up amps.

Credit where credit is due!

The thing that's not getting talked about here is the player. @Burgs just has a great feel for these kinds of tones,. In his hands they have this great bark and percussive impact, with what for lack of a better word I'd call dignity or composure, and none of the mess I sometimes get with gained up amps.

Credit where credit is due!
Yes, he starts playing and I mutter "Fu...." and put the guitar down to listen.

Back
Top Bottom