"Brown Sound" tone test Q1.06

Here is pt2 and pt3 of the screenshots. (I now know there is a 2MB limit to individual file upload sizes). Have fun! :)

Thanks a bunch for these guitarzen and Moke for the initial preset.

There have been many attempts at this elusive Brown Sound, but this latest incarnation is getting us so close now at non deafening ear volume, that it's very eerie...I really dig that fat, thick, spongy brown sound coming out of this preset, and to think it comes from a JCM 800, go figure...I actually increased Negative Feedback to 2.31 and set the variac to 80.3%, which is a bit more in your face for my taste.

This preset also translates very well to the new Quantum v.2 beta firmware, to my ears anyway. Thanks Cliff!

Can someone who loaded it all into a MkI/II patch just post it? I'm too darn lazy to look at screen shots. LOL. :D I promise you'll get at least one like.

Thanks for the screenshots!

Here's the preset for II. The only settings I didn't get were the first delay and flanger.

Attachments

• EchoplexEP3_IR.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Moke's Eruption Q1.00 (JCM 800).syx
    17 KB · Views: 24
  • The Brown Sound (Guitarzen).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 42
Can someone who loaded it all into a MkI/II patch just post it? I'm too darn lazy to look at screen shots. LOL. :D I promise you'll get at least one like.

First preset is the edited patch using the screenshots. Second preset is the same, except negative feedback and variac have been modified.

Attachments

• Moke's Eruption Modif (JCM 800.syx
    27.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Moke's Eruption NF and Variac.syx
    27.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Thanks a bunch for these guitarzen and Moke for the initial preset.

There have been many attempts at this elusive Brown Sound, but this latest incarnation is getting us so close now at non deafening ear volume, that it's very eerie...I really dig that fat, thick, spongy brown sound coming out of this preset, and to think it comes from a JCM 800, go figure...I actually increased Negative Feedback to 2.31 and set the variac to 80.3%, which is a bit more in your face for my taste.

This preset also translates very well to the new Quantum v.2 beta firmware, to my ears anyway. Thanks Cliff!

Thanks DukeOfPrunes! I'm really glad the preset is working well in your setup and for Q2.0 beta! I'll definitely try out those setting tweaks. :D

Thanks willowdale, it was fun playing and recording these clips! Hopefully the preset will translate well to your gear. The guitar I used is the same one shown in the pic. It's a '99 Wolfgang Standard archtop with a Frankie pickup in the bridge and a fat brass block upgrade. I used Fender 150 XL strings (pure nickel 9-40's) and play through Event 2030 3-way FRFR monitors on isolation stands. These sound really good playing in a small room, great imaging, and sounds very close to what is recorded straight from the Axe into Garageband. I'm a fairly new user to the Axe and am really lovin' the tones that are coming out of Quantum and now that I'm starting to figure out how to use it.

Funny, I used a similar setup. My Frankenstein replica, with a Frankie pup and big brass block with a pair of Yamaha DXR-12s and man did it ever sound brown. All I need is Eddie's right hand, ha ha!

Here's a pic of the Frankie my good buddy built to spec when all the replicas hit the market. Cost me CAD $750; a bit of a steel, parts only, no labour. If my bud would have charged me for his labour, I would have been looking at a 4k price tag, at least.

Attachments

• Franky.JPG
    Franky.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Funny, I used a similar setup. My Frankenstein replica, with a Franky pup and big brass block with a pair of Yamaha DXR-12s and man did it ever sound brown. All I need is Eddie's right hand, ha ha!

Here's a pic of the Franky my good buddy built to spec when all the replicas hit the market. Cost me CAD $750; a bit of a steel, parts only, no labour. If my bud would have charged me for his labour, I would have been looking at a 4k price tag, at least.

Man that is a beautiful guitar! +1 on wanting Eddies right hand too. I'm a little bummed that I can't angle the Frankie in the Wolfgang (without cutting wood, not gonna happen!), which definitely changes the tone a little on the low and high E strings. I do what I can to compensate with eq but I think it still misses a little something. I'm planning on building a Frankie project guitar (Musikraft body & neck) at some point and do it right, then trying out some other pickups in this one (I have a custom-shop 59/custom hybrid bridge pickup to try next, with coil split for more versatility). Good times :D

Man that is a beautiful guitar! +1 on wanting Eddies right hand too. I'm a little bummed that I can't angle the Frankie in the Wolfgang (without cutting wood, not gonna happen!), which definitely changes the tone a little on the low and high E strings. I do what I can to compensate with eq but I think it still misses a little something. I'm planning on building a Frankie project guitar (Musikraft body & neck) at some point and do it right, then trying out some other pickups in this one (I have a custom-shop 59/custom hybrid bridge pickup to try next, with coil split for more versatility). Good times :D

Good stuff man. After listening to your original clips, I think you're splitting a bit of hair. The angled pup, IMO, will only change your tone marginally. You have the chops already, so no worries.

My buddy and I have tried a few brown sound type pups: Eddie's Frankie, Eddie's Wolfgang, Seymour Duncan custom-custom and DiMarzio Super-Distortion and we still think Eddie's Frankie cuts the mustard, not necessarily a big surprise.

Good luck with the Frankie build. Here's a link of my buddy's second build ( I bought the first build ). He built 4, just to perfect the process...Let me know if you want me to put him contact with you, if you have questions. I am sure he would be happy to share his knowledge with you.

http://eddievanhalen.com/forum/guit...ects/frankenstrat/693766?hilit=frankkie build

Good stuff man. After listening to your original clips, I think you're splitting a bit of hair. The angled pup, IMO, will only change your tone marginally. You have the chops already, so no worries.

My buddy and I have tried a few brown sound type pups: Eddie's Frankie, Eddie's Wolfgang, Seymour Duncan custom-custom and DiMarzio Super-Distortion and we still think Eddie's Frankie cuts the mustard, not necessarily a big surprise.

Good luck with the Frankie build. Here's a link of my buddy's second build ( I bought the first build ). He built 4, just to perfect the process...Let me know if you want me to put him contact with you, if you have questions. I am sure he would be happy to share his knowledge with you.

http://eddievanhalen.com/forum/guitar-building-replica-projects/frankenstrat/693766?hilit=frankkie build

Thanks for the kind words and for this info, I really appreciate it. Man, this forum rules!

I took the long road and recreated from the screenshots (thanks for that btw) and it came out pretty awesome. I added an additional gate and tweak a few levels but it sounded right on for the most part.

What I'm wondering now is, does anyone have details of exactly how the first echoplex cab IR is shaping the signal? It sounds like it's just rolling off some highs for the most part. I think I'm gonna play some more and replace it with an straight EQ. That's one less IR I have to keep track of.

I took the long road and recreated from the screenshots (thanks for that btw) and it came out pretty awesome. I added an additional gate and tweak a few levels but it sounded right on for the most part.

What I'm wondering now is, does anyone have details of exactly how the first echoplex cab IR is shaping the signal? It sounds like it's just rolling off some highs for the most part. I think I'm gonna play some more and replace it with an straight EQ. That's one less IR I have to keep track of.
Yes, I just ran some sine wave sweeps through it and they really isn't any 'mojo' going on there. it's only gently rolling off the highs. It's very similar to what the 'Tape' Drive block is already doing. So it does seem redundant.

I am really liking some of the 'Amp' tweaks though. Also, the first 'Tape' Delay block was left over from my original 'Eruption' preset and was only used for the 'Dive-bomb' effect at the end (scenes 4 & 5).

Awesome! You're very welcome. I'm lovin' that it seems to be working for well for people.:cool:

Yes, I just ran some sine wave sweeps through it and they really isn't any 'mojo' going on there. it's only gently rolling off the highs. It's very similar to what the 'Tape' Drive block is already doing. So it does seem redundant.

I am really liking some of the 'Amp' tweaks though. Also, the first 'Tape' Delay block was left over from my original 'Eruption' preset and was only used for the 'Dive-bomb' effect at the end (scenes 4 & 5).
Thanks Moke! I wasn't sure the EP3 IR was ever adding anything and now we know definitively that it isn't (and I agree it really is redundant with the tape dist drive block). Will be nice to get rid of that front-end cab and save some CPU! :)

This is fucking amazing. Bookmarked for when I get home so I can grab these presets! I will be a 15 year old kid again tonight!

Except with a house, wife, kid, job...

Back
Top Bottom